Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What cordless drill?
TimC

posted on 11/6/09 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
What cordless drill?

What cordless drill?

I'm on the search for a good cordless drill that will be reliable and not cost the earth.

What and where from please folks....

Ta

TC

James

posted on 11/6/09 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
I spent ~£100 on a Makita 18v drill/driver with hammer function.
Comes with 3 batteries and charges in 20/30mins or so.

If I had to pick one I'd say it was the single best and most used tool in my collection.

HTH,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

LBMEFM

posted on 12/6/09 at 05:50 AM Reply With Quote
Makita tools will give good service, Ryobi tools are also very good, I'm in the building trade and many of us use both makes. Very reliable For a bit more money there is De-Walt. Avoid at all costs Clarkes tools, total waste of money if you intend to use it a lot. Barry.
dogwood

posted on 12/6/09 at 06:06 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a pair of Bosch drills from B&Q's
about 6 years ago.

They came as a pair with 3 batteries and two chargers.
The batteries are finally starting to give up the ghost..
But boy have they been worked hard...
And as James says, certainly the most used tool in my collection.

The only advice I would give is, don't skimp on price.
The cheep ones have crappy batteries and in my opinion are false economy

David

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

carlknight1982

posted on 12/6/09 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
i have 3 of the ryobi +one range drills 2 for at home (drill/driver set) and a drill for work, i use it mainly for cutting 22mm holds in stainless meter posts for mobile phone mast installations, never misses a beat, mind u 3 years on the batterys are a little shite now, would definately buy another tho
NigeEss

posted on 12/6/09 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
After a few B&Q ones I bought a Bosch 12v for £80 which has given 3 years of hard service reliably.
Corded drill recently died so have replaced with an 18v Makita, prob same one James
mentioned. If this is proves as good I'll be happy.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

ashg

posted on 12/6/09 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
makita bosch pro or hitachi are the list i would pick from. makita being top followed by bosch and hitachi in second.

dewalt are just re-branded black and decker rubbish.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

stevegough

posted on 12/6/09 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
Can't disagree with any of the above, (mine's a twin - pack Makita, but I also had a Bosch which was excellent - lasted me 5 years!)

I will add that the Lithium - Ion batteries are adding a new dimension - they don't discharge themselves, have no memory effect and are a lot lighter than nicads. The only downside seems to be the price.

Anyone used Li - ion powered drills for any length of time??

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

SeaBass

posted on 12/6/09 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Similar here - had a Bosch for 5 year and the battery started to fade. I punted it onto my Dad (who thinks it's great and is still using it!).

I then bought a Makita with a 3Ah battery from Screwfix it's bloody amazing how long the battery lasts!

dinosaurjuice

posted on 12/6/09 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevegough

Anyone used Li - ion powered drills for any length of time??

used a bosch IXO 3.6v screwdriver, i honestly expected it to be rubbish. it was AMAZING, could not believe how much power the little thing puts out and how long it lasts. everytime we stopped for cuppa tea, just put it on charge to 'top it up'.

Ill be buying a half descent cordless drill soon, makita Li-ion is on top of list. well worth the extra £££ IMO.

splitrivet

posted on 12/6/09 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a challenge 18v from Argoose had it a couple of years dropped it a few times and broke a connection in the battery, was so pleased with it went and bought its replacement which was absolute rubbish. So I took the originals battery apart and repaired it and its still going strong after 6 years.
For work Ive now got a 24v Bosch Hammerlite which is an SDS drill which will blast its way through anything but a bit heavy for car building.
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 12/6/09 by splitrivet]

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Ben_Copeland

posted on 12/6/09 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Dewalt 18v. Very strong, lasts forever on the batteries and built to last.

Weighs bit too much.

Gets used for everything, even mixing plaster lol - although i did finally burn the motor out doing that, but parts are dead easy to get and cheap, motor is a straight swap.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Peteff

posted on 12/6/09 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
If you can, get one with li-ion batteries as they have no memory effect.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

TimC

posted on 12/6/09 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Blimey, there's a lot of choice. I'd like to spend £100 but will spend £120. What would you go for at that price?

dhutch

posted on 12/6/09 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Im going to add to the Makita/Bosch pimping.

We have a 12v bosch from BnQ, which replaced an earlier 7.2v one, and it works well for what we use if for.
This one http://www.bosch.com.my/content/language1/img_productworlds/GSR12-2.jpg

Also, at work (JCB) they use Makita continuously, including on the production line where they get hours and hours of use.

Lithium is coming, but for the cost, i would stick to Ni-Cd/Ni-MH and you can always change the battery after a year.

Daniel

RoadkillUK

posted on 12/6/09 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a DeWalt cordless and corded drill recently from Screwfix when it was on offer, cost me £60.

I've only ever bought cheap drills before but these don't slow down when under stress.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bob C

posted on 12/6/09 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
going against the flow - I've had 3 "Aldi special offer" cordless drills over the last 5 years at a total cost of less than £50
In that time I've been asked to repair several friends makitas & dewalts, & I know plenty others who've had them lost borrowed or stolen.
Why 3? one got a tired battery, another developed a rattly chuck bering after doing all the holes in a locost....
My bro just had his van broken into. Among the losses were £500 worth of cordless drills. (the scum also took a £3000 trailer)

[Edited on 12/6/09 by Bob C]

Daddylonglegs

posted on 12/6/09 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Bought as Wickes 'Professional' 18V combi-drill from their interchangeable range as I also have the reciprocating saw that takes the same batteries. Works well and has been abused for well over a year and still going strong.

JB

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

DarrenW

posted on 12/6/09 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Its not good to just say buy a bosch, makita, DeWalt etc.

I will explain. I used to work for DeWalt and my job was working with the development teams to build and alter the production lines. The top end models used DeWalt designed and built motors. They were fantastic. The lower end models often used industrial spec 'other' motors. Whilst good they werent as good as the top end units. I lost count of how many times the shop would send returned drills up to us for analysis, for us to conclude that for the application they were used the client should not have been using that particular model.

At a particular price point there isnt much to choose between the leading brands. Where differences come in is more to do with process stability (ie variations in the build process for the full units and components) rather than the design. Also all of the leading brands have been moving manufacture to low cost sources of late and this also has a factor to play.

My advice, get the best model that you can afford that offers a good warranty and keep hold of the receipt just in case.

For every person you talk to that will say a particular leading brand is awesome you will find another that hates them with a passion.
If you buy a cheap drill you get what you pay for. In general the better brands use better cell technology which explains why replacement battery packs looks extortionate on their own in comparison to full cheaper drill packs.

I have an old top of the range Dewalt that was built in UK and it has never let me down.

MikeR

posted on 12/6/09 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Mate worked on the building sites - he always got the aldi drills......

He looked at it like this - they last 3 to 6 months, then you get another one. You then have 2 sets of batteries, set one on charge whilst you use the other. When one is dead, swap over.

He reckoned he'd kill / lose an expensive drill a year - the aldi drills left him quids in with lots of spare parts should he ever feel the need not to throw one in the bin (he did just bin them).

(ok reality, he'd buy 2 to 4 each time they came on offer to make sure he had them).

Paul M

posted on 12/6/09 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
cordless drill

got a 10 yr old bosch still works well , in its lifetime I have bought two budget replacements as the bosch didn't hold charge very well after 4-5years, a Black & Decker and an 18v Nutool, both were binned after 18mths - 2 ys max.

got an 18v Makita from screwfix bout 6 months ago, on offer for £80 with 3 batteries , is about £180 now, superb piece of kit excellent quality.

As Ryobi seem well thought of, have a look at this offer from Screwfix,

SCREWFIX AD

[Edited on 12/6/09 by Paul M]

fesycresy

posted on 12/6/09 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
I like DeWalt.

Just because I think the yellow looks cool

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

rusty nuts

posted on 12/6/09 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Hitachi Li-ion drill with 2 batteries that should have cost a couple of hundred , I had ordered a cheaper one but when I got it home and used it I realised they had made a mistake . whoops! Brilliant drill though when the battery goes flat the drill just stops with no warning
Fred W B

posted on 12/6/09 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
I swear by my Bosch 14 volts. I'm now up to 4 of them, never had a failure, in hobby use admittedly.

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

flak monkey

posted on 12/6/09 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Just to be different, I have an Erbauer Combi drill

Built incredibly well, metal gearbox (you can even use it as a manual screwdriver to give screws an extra nip). Batteries last for ages too, and its supplied with 2 and a fast charger.

Nicely weighted and balanced too. Fraction od the dewalt/makita price. A lot of the dewalt/makita price is badge.

One of these

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.