Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Just bought A3 1.8TSport
DarrenW

posted on 13/6/09 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Just bought A3 1.8TSport

Its not new (1999) ut what a car. Superb for the price. I think it has the 20V 150bhp motor. Rather impressed so far and ive heard they are quite tuneable.

cadebytiger

posted on 13/6/09 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
i have the golf gti with the same engine and love it.

i have not done it yet but you can get them chipped to around 200bhp

DarrenW

posted on 13/6/09 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Its rather rapid is it is. Not as quick as Mac#1 but respectble. I cant get excited abut chipping cars.

I have a few jobs to investigate;

1. drivers window doesnt work - platic cable connector boroken - apparently common fault and easy repair.
2. Rust on lower edge of doors - hpefully east bodysho repair.
3. Spare key remote doesnt work. Last owner put it through the wash. I think it nees new battery and a reprog - just need to suss out how to do.

Apart from that a great car and i got it for approx £500 less than autotrader average.

What A3 forums are recommended?

f1ngers

posted on 13/6/09 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a 97 A4 1.8T with the 20V 150bhp motor chipped to 180. I love this engine, 40+ mpg on a run and good performance when you want it. Owned it now for 5 years and it's now done 140k but still very strong. This is the 3rd 1.8T car I have had, previously had another A4 and a Golf.
DarrenW

posted on 13/6/09 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is only 93K. 2 owners (same family) from new. Its a challenging colour wild berry - but OK as long as no-one says its pink!

Its in original condition - ie not very well valleted and bearing one or 2 honesty marks. I think its great.

Now have 1997 P reg 106 for sale. 1100cc. £475.

andybod

posted on 13/6/09 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
first thing you should do is get it mapped i've got a 51 plate 150bhp golf had it mapped took power to around 210bhp and has transformed the car and a cheap upgrade cost me £250 inc an alloy recirc valve still getting 30 mpg nocking about and around 37-38 on a run
DarrenW

posted on 13/6/09 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Iam so sceptical about remaps. How can they be so great?
Are they a good idea on mid mileage car? (90K)? Surely they must stress them (or they seriously understressed to start with?)

tegwin

posted on 13/6/09 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm... veeery nice... I have been toying with the idea of buying a 2002 S3 all week... 1.8T quatro...

But everyone suggests the car is just too smooth etc and would be boring.....

So maybe something like your would make more sence

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

DarrenW

posted on 13/6/09 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Id love to big the car up to something it aint. however truth is its a bog std A3 1.8T sport. Good news it does what its supposed to unbelievably well. Its quick, tight, good condition etc etc. Colour is girly but interesting. Compared to a 12 yr old golf i bought 10 years ago its a whole load more car. Not blisteringly fast but defo very quick. Same engine in 7 would be amazing.

the_fbi

posted on 13/6/09 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
3. Spare key remote doesnt work. Last owner put it through the wash. I think it nees new battery and a reprog - just need to suss out how to do.

Spare remote key may not open the doors via remote, but the immobiliser should be passive so works irrespective of the battery.

Without the other key in the vacinity, try and start the car with the "dead" one, it should work.

major

posted on 14/6/09 at 06:20 AM Reply With Quote
I had the 2.0 tfsi (200bhp):

Also quite tunable to 235bhp. Drove approx 50.000 miles in it and loved every minute of it. I had the sport-seats, which have quite big an rigid sides, which sometimes was not very comfy..

Danozeman

posted on 14/6/09 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Remaps work very well on VAG engines. I think they ar the better engines to do.

I know people that have remapped 200k TDis's and they work very well so a 90k 1.8T wont be a problem. Especially if its been serviced regular. They go on and on if looked after.

As for the key, as said above it if has only been through the wash it should still start the car. If it hasnt corroded the remote board a new battery and a reprog should do it but its a dealer job i think.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.