Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VAG Tdi Tuning Options
Guinness

posted on 15/6/09 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
VAG Tdi Tuning Options

My Seat Leon has the 140 bhp 2 litre TDi engine. It's factory spec at the minute, which means 140 horses and (I think) 320Nm torque.

It's done 45,000 miles now and is still as quick as it was when new. Thing is, it'll be out of waranty in a few months and I'm tempted to try and give it a bit more oomph.

I know I can get a generic remap pretty cheap. But I was wondering what other options where available out there.

I'm thinking a new air filter / front mounted intercooler / ?? then I run out of ideas.

Mike

omega0684

posted on 15/6/09 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
stainless sports exhaust and sports cat

high flow injectors? uprated turbo?

new cams? staged remap?

[Edited on 15/6/09 by omega0684]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
austin man

posted on 15/6/09 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Revo Tech have been pretty big in this area I believe 190 bhp is more than achievable with no other mods. Check the bay of e out just type in VW remapping

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

bigbravedave

posted on 16/6/09 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look for the next VAG related show, alot of the remappers do half price remaps, JBS (custom code) did a couple of friends cars at a run what you brung day at santa pod, I think it was arround £100 including two runs on the strip.
cd.thomson

posted on 16/6/09 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
without getting into silly money diesel remaps are the way to go.

Water/methanol injection pre-map will allow the fuel/turbo to be dialed up much higher than standard and you'll get a more complete burn when you step on it (less black smoke). A larger intercooler will have the same effect but is more £/BHP. The advantage being you dont have to keep buying copious amounts of screen wash.

Getting the advantages out of either of these requires a custom remap and I can recommend RS Tuning (join TDOC.com for a range of discounts).

Theres loads to be had out of diesels if you dont mind losing "some" mpg.

Moving on from this into fairy tales you'd want an uprated turbo (not necessarily larger), injectors and plugs.

Oh and dont get a dump valve

Craig

bassett

posted on 16/6/09 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
I know a guy who has has his mk1 leon tuned by amd tecnik to about 220ish bhp all be it with an aftermarket turbo. Im sure allard motorsport or something had a special program on vag tdi units making intercoolers etc. Its worth checking out seatcupra.net for better info and tried and tested products. If it was me though i would probably stick to uprated panel filter, stage 1 map(AMD) and a full miltek exhaust to keep it simple and avoid future problems.

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

stuart_g

posted on 16/6/09 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look at this web site there should be all the info you need in the forums section.

Seat forums

disco_biscuit

posted on 16/6/09 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
I have an Ibiza Cupra TDi 160 pd which has had a Revo stage 1 map, now runs 200bhp and 300 lbft.

be warned anything over 300lbft you will need a new clutch and flywheel circa £1k upwards.

Just go stage 1 as anything else costs $$$ then there is the reliabilty to think about.

Miltek exhaust or any aftermarket exhaust does nothing to a stage 1, i know i bought a full Miltek with de-cat.
You only need a different exhaust if you run a hybrid turbo due to the VAG downpipe being the main restriction.

[Edited on 16/6/09 by disco_biscuit]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.