Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MegaJolt Q
MautoK

posted on 18/6/09 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
MegaJolt Q

L&G,
I wish to / ought to / have been advised to install MegaJolt on my MK+Pinto 2L and have a few questions that have probably all been asked before but maybe it would be good to have a recap on the subject...

1. Can you buy a solder-it-yourself kit of board and components; if so, from whom?
2. My laptop is a 12 month old Dell with USB ports only (no RS232) and it runs Ubuntu. Is MJ software available for Linux+USB?
I also have an old Toshiba with Windows 3.11 and RS232; could upgrade this to W95 - is MJ software compatible with this?
3. What does one do with the now-redundant distributor, bearing in mind that its bottom end must be retained to drive the oil pump.
4. At 6000 rpm the VR signal is a 3.6 kHz square-ish wave; this is about 280 usec per tooth (10 deg), i.e. 28 usec per degree - presumably MJ has a microcontroller and holds the advance map in EEPROM?
5. What are PIP and SAW?
6. Can MJ drive a standard Sierra rev counter?
7. Running twin SU carbs, is it better to use manifold pressure or throttle position (or both)?

Ta,
John.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

omega0684

posted on 18/6/09 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
everything you ever need to know about Megajolt

here

looks like their server is down at the moment though

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bbwales

posted on 18/6/09 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hi John,

1. Bill Shurvington was selling them, if you do a search you will find his name and address. I got mine from him and once the kit arrives you do need to go to Maplins to buy some bits and pieces, cost me about £3:70

2. Sorry no idea

3. I think you can just put a blanking plate on, but I am not sure regarding the pinto.

4. Yes I believe so.

5. PIP and Saw are for Megasquirt

6. I believe so. There is a tacho drive from the megajolt unit and from the edis unit.

7. I would use TPS.

Hope that helps a little.

Regards

Bob

MautoK

posted on 18/6/09 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, Alex.
Yes, I've looked through much of that, but I was looking for answers more from an end user's point of view rather than the manufacturer's.
Cheers,
John.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

David Jenkins

posted on 18/6/09 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
1. Can you buy a solder-it-yourself kit of board and components; if so, from whom?

Autosport Labs - not sure if they do a kit any more. If they do, it's now surface-mount components, which ain't so easy!

2. My laptop is a 12 month old Dell with USB ports only (no RS232) and it runs Ubuntu. Is MJ software available for Linux+USB?

No Linux software

I also have an old Toshiba with Windows 3.11 and RS232; could upgrade this to W95 - is MJ software compatible with this?

This would work - I've got an old Tosh Satellite running Win2000, but I believe it works with Win95. You'll have the advantage of a proper RS232 port on an old machine.

3. What does one do with the now-redundant distributor, bearing in mind that its bottom end must be retained to drive the oil pump.

A Pinto owner will have to give the exact details! (ask DaveFJ, 'cos I know he's done it.

4. At 6000 rpm the VR signal is a 3.6 kHz square-ish wave; this is about 280 usec per tooth (10 deg), i.e. 28 usec per degree - presumably MJ has a microcontroller and holds the advance map in EEPROM?

Exactly.

5. What are PIP and SAW?

One's the signal from the EDIS to the MJ, and the other's the signal back - the MJ unit varys the timing between the two to control the timing.

6. Can MJ drive a standard Sierra rev counter?

Not sure - but I doubt it.

7. Running twin SU carbs, is it better to use manifold pressure or throttle position (or both)?

Easier with a TPS (but a MAP sensor isn't impossible).

Hope that helps!

MautoK

posted on 18/6/09 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, Bob.
I've seen Bill's name mentioned and will try to contact him.
John.

jacko

posted on 18/6/09 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
John you have u2u
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RichardK

posted on 18/6/09 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
This how I did mine...

Cheers Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

MautoK

posted on 18/6/09 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks, guys.
That's a really good pictorial, Rich!
John.

tendoshingan

posted on 18/6/09 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
Here's the link for buying the kits
Kit link
I made my own after ordering it from here, not that difficult just have to know how to use a soldering iron.

mad4x4

posted on 19/6/09 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
OK JUST TRIED THIS --- on Ubuntu Acer Aspire One

Megajolt software loads under WINE on Linux but I think the COMMS will be the issue, Linux handles comms ports a lot different from Windows so i'm notsure you'd get it to commuincate.

also the 3d Map bit doesn;t show up

You may also have probs as you don;t have a real rs232 port when running linux

It'd be cool if someone ported this full to linux or re-wrote in in JAVA of something.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

MikeRJ

posted on 19/6/09 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
It'd be cool if someone ported this full to linux or re-wrote in in JAVA of something.

It used to be written in Java, but people had so many issues getting working that it was re-written into a native Windows executable.

The original Java app is still available, as is the source code if you fancy updating it for the latest V4.x Serial API.

[Edited on 19/6/09 by MikeRJ]

David Jenkins

posted on 19/6/09 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
Brent Picasso has said that he will make the source code available to anyone who wants to try porting it to Linux.

You'll be better off with your laptop though - there will be times when you will want to adjust things while in your car, and you may not want to lug your desktop out to the garage. You can also use your laptop to log data while on the move.

mediabloke

posted on 19/6/09 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tendoshingan
Here's the link for buying the kits
Kit link
I made my own after ordering it from here, not that difficult just have to know how to use a soldering iron.

^ what he said ^. I made my own from here, too. Service was good, delivery too, considering it's shipped from the states. No problems building the kit - just installation teething probs.

I bought one of these so I didn't overheat anything.
Clicky

£20 well spent - right first time & all that...

Francis

iank

posted on 19/6/09 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
If you use megsquirt and spark rather than megajolt then linux is very well supported by MegaTuneix
http://megatunix.sourceforge.net/

PIP and SAW are the EDIS connections.

For a road car or any forced induction then MAP is the right way to go if you can, TPS is good for the track but fuel consumption won't be as good and it doesn't work on turbos/superchargers. IIRC Megajolt can only be configured for one not both.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

David Jenkins

posted on 19/6/09 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
For a road car or any forced induction then MAP is the right way to go if you can, TPS is good for the track but fuel consumption won't be as good and it doesn't work on turbos/superchargers. IIRC Megajolt can only be configured for one not both.

I agree - but fitting a MAP vacuum takeoff on multiple carbs is a PITA. Many people have put a lot of effort into making it work, with mixed results. There are 1 or 2 solutions on the Autosportlabs website.

As for making the kit - V3 was fairly easy as it used ordinary discrete components - bits with wires on. The latest version, V4, uses surface-mounted components that take a bit more skill to solder. Take a GOOD look at the assembly guide before you make up your mind.

[Edited on 19/6/09 by David Jenkins]

mediabloke

posted on 19/6/09 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
The latest version, V4, uses surface-mounted components that take a bit more skill to solder. Take a GOOD look at the assembly guide before you make up your mind

A very good point. For the same reason, consider the cost difference too - an extra £40 might be a small price to pay for the peace of mind of something pre-built & tested.

[Edited on 19/6/09 by mediabloke]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.