Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sticky stuff

posted on 22/6/09 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
sticky stuff

Hi Just ordered some cordon cycle wings.Whats the best stuff to glue then to the stays cheers
omega0684

posted on 22/6/09 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
sikaflex is good stuff, pretty cheap as well, but personally i would bolt them on, at least on the back stay bar.

[Edited on 22/6/09 by omega0684]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
twybrow

posted on 22/6/09 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Mine are held on wth 2 x M6 bolts, PUd on (ie no bolt holes from the outside).... Just for good measure, I have then added some fibreglass on the back for peace of mind!
nick205

posted on 22/6/09 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Sikaflex + 4 x stainless M6 dome heads into the stays - not moved at all in 3k miles.

Madinventions

posted on 22/6/09 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Fibreglass some 'big head' bolts to the underside of the cycle wings and use these as studs to bolt the wings to the stays. No bolt holes showing through the top-side then which IMHO doesn't look too great, especially on nice carbon wings!

If you can't find or get some 'big heads', make a plate to hold a couple of countersunk bolts and fibreglass this to the underside. Just make sure the bolts can't turn though!

I wouldn't rely on adhesive alone though - too many stories of wings flying off at speed....

twybrow

posted on 23/6/09 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Madinventions
Fibreglass some 'big head' bolts to the underside of the cycle wings and use these as studs to bolt the wings to the stays. No bolt holes showing through the top-side then which IMHO doesn't look too great, especially on nice carbon wings!

If you can't find or get some 'big heads', make a plate to hold a couple of countersunk bolts and fibreglass this to the underside. Just make sure the bolts can't turn though!

Exactly how I did mine.... I made some Big Heads out of some steel sheet, and rivnuts. PUd them on, then went over them with some CF!

DarrenW

posted on 24/6/09 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Mine were glued on. came off at weekend after 3.5 years and 7K miles. Bar was a bit rusted which helped the wing to become detached. Ive glued them back on. Drilled holes in stay bar first - thinking the pU might get better grip if there is some through the hole. Ive applied it to underside of bar too.

Tartanpimpernel

posted on 24/6/09 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
wickes do a good selection of jumbo washers with small bolt holes, coupled these with some low profile headed bolts and bonded the lot to the underside of the wing...works like a charm.

quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
quote:
Originally posted by Madinventions

Exactly how I did mine.... I made some Big Heads out of some steel sheet, and rivnuts. PUd them on, then went over them with some CF!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.