Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Why oh why oh why.....
BenB

posted on 23/6/09 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Why oh why oh why.....

Do manafacturers miss out really cheap (but critical) bits.

Just got a 15mm tank connector from screwfix ([homebrew]making a dinky hop strainer for my copper [/homebrew]). But they haven't included a washer. How much does a tiny little rubber / plastic washer cost? 1p? 2p?

Now I've got to go and find a washer to fit a tank connector and will probably end up going to Travis Perkins and getting well and truly shafted.....

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.....

On the plus side the 25m coil of 8mm copper pipe I got will make both an immersion cooler for the brew and a EFi return line for my Locost conversion....

minitici

posted on 23/6/09 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Admit it your'e making a still
carpmart

posted on 23/6/09 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
I can't see how there is anything to admit as it pretty bloody obvious that's what he is making!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/6/09 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote

you'd think he'd know better than to drink that

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 23/6/09 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Well if you're asking I'm making 40 pints of all-grain homebrew. Trouble is my poxy 5 gallon boiler doesn't have a hop strainer so the wort gets stuck (ie clogs up the tap).

For some reason homebrewers use their own language

e.g.

copper = (usually plastic) boiler
liquer= water
alkalinity = buffering ability of carbonates in the water (ie not just opposite of pH)

Can't decide what brew to do though-

Wadworth 6x
Black Sheep Ale
Timothy Taylor Landlord
Adnams Broadside

I would make a still but I think the police might have me under surveillance after my cheeky e-mail re loud exhausts in Devon and Cornwall

rb968

posted on 23/6/09 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Black Sheep mmmmmmm....
cd.thomson

posted on 23/6/09 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
can't decide what brew to do though

Is this your first attempt? If so, it doesnt matter what you call it - its still going to be moonshine

Craig

wilkingj

posted on 23/6/09 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rb968
Black Sheep mmmmmmm....

Eh Wot??
Black Sheep.... Bah... I'll get me wellies

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 23/6/09 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
quote:
can't decide what brew to do though

Is this your first attempt? If so, it doesnt matter what you call it - its still going to be moonshine

It's my first all grain, previously been working up to it with partial mashes.... I didn't have enough space to do it until recently so I've read five books on the subject (including a rather hefty tome on brewing chemistry).... We'll see how it turns out!!!

smart51

posted on 23/6/09 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Home brewed beer. A house mate of mine tried this when we were students. The student house was usually freezing cold but varied in temperature a lot. Not ideal conditions for brewing. He said it tasted really good but was best served with a kaolin and morphine chaser, such was its effect on the body's digestive system. He stored the bottled product in the bottom of his wardrobe for some reason. One night he was woken by a huge Whoomph noise as the pressure inside the bottles became too much for the glass to hold in. It put an end to the diarrhea but did mean he had to wash all his clean clothes.

JeffHs

posted on 23/6/09 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck with the brew. let us know how it turns out. I'd be very interested in how much gravity you manage with your mash. I've been doing full grain beers for years but try as I may, I can't get as good a yield as the books say I should, so I end up cutting the volume and then it's too bitter because i added too many hops to the boil.
It usually gets drunk though!

BenB

posted on 23/6/09 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
We'll see. I'm aiming for 75% efficiency because I'm batch sprarging... If that doesn't work I'll switch to fly-sparging..... We shall see!!!! Just getting all the bits together and then waiting for some cold weather as I haven't got enough space for a seperate fermentation fridge....
David Jenkins

posted on 23/6/09 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
It put an end to the diarrhea but did mean he had to wash all his clean clothes.

I would have thought that clothes washing was necessary after the first condition...

aerosam

posted on 23/6/09 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
I'm aiming for 75% efficiency because I'm batch sprarging... If that doesn't work I'll switch to fly-sparging..... We shall see!!!!

what the heck is sprarging? or sparging? Does that mean you give up and just nick the beer from spar?

BenB

posted on 23/6/09 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote

sparging = after the initial mash (keeping the grain at a constant temperature) you further wash it in a slightly hotter water (now called liquer cos its brewing talk!!) to rinse out the sugars....

Fly spraging = slowly trickling through a little water as you drain the grain, batch sparging = dump in a load of hotter water then drain it.

splitrivet

posted on 23/6/09 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Really fancy having a go at home brew the proper way as your doing, what kit do you need.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Dangle_kt

posted on 23/6/09 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
its like talking to The Wurzles!
carpmart

posted on 23/6/09 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
Really fancy having a go at home brew the proper way as your doing, what kit do you need.
Cheers,
Bob

well according to the first post, APPARENTLY you need a whole load of copper pipe to brew beer at home

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

BenB

posted on 24/6/09 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
Cheers,
Bob

If you're doing all-grain you need a lauter tun (picnic cooler with some copper pipes in the bottom), a boiler (I used a £60 electrim boiler but you could use a big catering pot or a catering tea urn) and a fermenting vessel. And lots of bottles (or a homebrew barrel). Max cost about £100 but from then on it's 30p a pint The other thing you need is time. A full brew session is 10 hour(ish) which is why often people start brewing large amounts- same amount of time but more beer

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.