New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Refund from Chideock Dorset Speed Camera
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 27/6/09 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Refund from Chideock Dorset Speed Camera

Speed Camera News

£1.5m in speeding fines from Dorset GATSO could be refunded
Chideock Dorset Speed Camera

The Traffic Order for a GATSO speed camera on the Dorset was found to be invalid following a test case and as a result, more than 24,000 drivers may have to be refunded. Now authorities are left facing a £1.5 million bill to repay the fines collected from motorists convicted by the camera. But rather than cancel the convictions and issue refunds, Dorset Safety Camera Partnership are to review individual cases.
NOT GOOD IF YOU LOST YOUR JOB AND LICENCE TO DRIVE OVER THIS

[Edited on 27-6-09 by mangogrooveworkshop]

britishtrident

posted on 27/6/09 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
I am pretty sure the ambulance chasing no-win no-fee
scumbag lawyers will make a penny or two out of it.

[Edited on 27/6/09 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

miikae

posted on 27/6/09 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
They should automatically be made to repay back all monies to everyone & cancel all convictions .

Mike

If it can be done it i will be done .

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Steve G

posted on 27/6/09 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
If all 24,000 convicted drivers submit an appeal then its going to cost them more than £1.5m to administer it surely!!

What was basis of the the test case??

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 27/6/09 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve G
If all 24,000 convicted drivers submit an appeal then its going to cost them more than £1.5m to administer it surely!!

What was basis of the the test case??

"According to the official Highways Agency paperwork, the length of the speed restricted zone is measured from the junction of "Seatown Road" in the village. But judge Anne Arnold realised that although locals refer to the side road off the A35 as Seatown Road, there is no such place on any map. The court heard that the road is actually called Duck Street. Locally it is known as Seatown Road because it leads to the coastal village of Seatown."

If anyone thinks an admin error like this means they're morally innocent of speeding then it's a sad indictment of the state of things. This is a 30mph zone, not a stretch of motorway, so there are probably children crossing to walk to school, and old folk with their shopping. Anyone who applies for a refund would deserve to get the paperwork reissued with the admin error corrected; albeit that won't happen.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/newsletters/newsletter-latest.htm read about half way down

JoelP

posted on 27/6/09 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
fully agree there mango, it doesnt change the fact that A) they were speeding and B) weren't paying enough attention. How can you miss a fixed camera?

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

chrisg

posted on 27/6/09 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
If anyone thinks an admin error like this means they're morally innocent of speeding then it's a sad indictment of the state of things. This is a 30mph zone, not a stretch of motorway, so there are probably children crossing to walk to school, and old folk with their shopping. Anyone who applies for a refund would deserve to get the paperwork reissued with the admin error corrected; albeit that won't happen.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/newsletters/newsletter-latest.htm read about half way down

It's an interesting thought if you believe that speed cameras have anything to do with road safety.

Speed is the only traffic offence that is detected these days or indeed seems to matter. The 60% decrease in police traffic patrols that has occured since the government switched to "policing by camera" means that road deaths continue to increase because you can drive drunk, drugged, unlicenced, without insurance, MOT or tax in a deathtrap with bald tyres and no brakes so long as you pass that camera at 29.9mph you're fine.

It's a game, and this should be acknowledged by the government. They want your cash and are finding more and more devious ways of getting it. I don't think they have any scruples about it and certainly shouldn't feel entitled to the moral high ground.

They would gain an awful lot of credit for admitting that it's cat and mouse and then we could tackle the real issues of roads safety - starting by campaigning to get traffic patrols returned to 1993 levels and increasing driver training.

Don't get me wrong I think speed cameras have their place in an integrated road safety strategy, but replacing all road policing with cameras is costing lives.

The bottom line, as ever is CASH. Living breathing traffic cops with the ability to detect ALL traffic offences cost money and speed cameras, detecting one offence make money.

Sorry this seems like a bit of a rant but think about this - road deaths reduced every year from 1946 untill 1993, when cameras were introduced they have risen, despite the increases in vehicle safety, every year since.

The governments simplistic "speed kills" mantra is costing lives.

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

JoelP

posted on 27/6/09 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
the future is computer controlled cars on rails. Fast, flawless and efficient. And if not flawless, its only got to beat 3000 deaths a year to be an improvement.

Imagine the benefits - never stop for lights or junctions, simply coordinated at full speed straight through or in. Vehicles all tailgating each other and never slowing down - no slow drivers either! Fuel economy would be ridiculously high.

Admittedly the infrastructure would be costly!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

mad_dogpompey

posted on 27/6/09 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
hey guys

i work on chinook helicopters in hampshire, had a wicked idea the other day. we have something called ircm. which is infa red counter measures. was thinking about mounting the pod on the front of my car the other day. but don t think the raf would take to kindly bearing in mind the bulb in the thing costs 12 grand alone. plus the generator i d have to tow would weigh more than the car!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.