Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Should cyclists pay tax and insurance?
chrisg

posted on 27/6/09 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Should cyclists pay tax and insurance?

Discuss....

Bike charter

Yours with a big wooden spoon,

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

rusty nuts

posted on 27/6/09 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
They should round our way . Cambridge is also known as cycle city.
JoelP

posted on 27/6/09 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
i would say no, but i couldnt be bothered to watch the link

Lets be fair, they arent going to wear the roads out, they wont cause anywhere near as much damage as a car in an accident, and there needs to be some benefit for them being so exposed (much like motorbikers, why i dont mind them jumping queues)

I would go as far as saying that if a cyclist wears a helmet, hi-vis jacket and obeys traffic laws, they should be held blameless in any accident - this would encourage other road users to give them a touch more space and observational time.

Discuss that

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

matt_gsxr

posted on 27/6/09 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Insurance isn't a bad idea, but with something like the ctc you get this with membership (£36 per year).

TAX, maybe. If the car tax went towards roads then their might be a case, but as it doesn't the case is more muddied.

From my perspective I love cycling to work, and I like building cars. I'm no environmental evangelist, but if it saves a few polar bears, then it can't be all bad.

Matt

tomgregory2000

posted on 27/6/09 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
NOOOOOOOOOOOOo
I wont be paying any insurance or tax on my 3 bikes
They can bugger off
How else am i supposed to get back from pub pissed off my face

chrisg

posted on 27/6/09 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
i would say no, but i couldnt be bothered to watch the link

Lets be fair, they arent going to wear the roads out, they wont cause anywhere near as much damage as a car in an accident, and there needs to be some benefit for them being so exposed (much like motorbikers, why i dont mind them jumping queues)

I would go as far as saying that if a cyclist wears a helmet, hi-vis jacket and obeys traffic laws, they should be held blameless in any accident - this would encourage other road users to give them a touch more space and observational time.

Discuss that

I'd watch it if I were you.....

So you don't subscribe to the theory that they're a bunch of freeloaders in lycra who try to dictate policy on a system where they're unpaying guests?

Just wondered like...

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

bilbo

posted on 27/6/09 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not really bothered if they pay road tax or not - let's face it, they don't really cause too much wear of the road surface at the end of the day.
What really annoys me, though, is this whole thing about some of them thinking they have the right to run red lights
I've lost count of the times I've seen pedestrians on pelican crossings nearly run over by them because of this.
Makes me want to ride a motorbike down a cycle lane - see how they like it

I appreciate not all cyclists do this, though. The sensible, safe ones shouldn't have to pay because of the idiots.

[Edited on 27/6/09 by bilbo]

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

mistergrumpy

posted on 27/6/09 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Nope, like Joel says. They don't damage the roads and don't have emissions. Simple really.
On another note. I now have two cars and a motorbike all to myself and can only physically drive one at a time yet have 3 tax discs to pay for. I'll be buggered backwards if I've to pay for another for summat that won't move without me having to push it!
Just seen Bilbo's post. I agree about red light jumping too!

[Edited on 27/6/09 by mistergrumpy]

DRC INDY 7

posted on 27/6/09 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
it will never happen as there is no register for cycles which would make it imposible to police

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

paul the 6th

posted on 27/6/09 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg

Yours with a big wooden spoon,

Chris

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
chrisg

posted on 27/6/09 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

We're having a debate here.

I'm going to show everyone what a masterdebator I am!!!

Chris

Andi

posted on 27/6/09 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
No No No.... Unless
They are riding 2 or more abreast and taking up the whole road

adithorp

posted on 27/6/09 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
No. Cyclists have a right to use the road, as do pedestrians and horse riders. Motorist don't have that right and have to be licenced to do so.

How would you enforce it? Register every bike? Stop every little kid and ask for his tax disc for his BMX?

As a member of both the CTC and BritshCycling I have third party insurance. Like the majority of cyclists, I already pay "Road fund licence". In my case on 3 vehicles.

"...I would go as far as saying that if a cyclist wears a helmet, hi-vis jacket and obeys traffic laws, they should be held blameless in any accident - this would encourage other road users to give them a touch more space and observational time..."
In Holland in any accident involving a cyclist it's the motorists fault. Problem is that some people then treat it like they are invulnerable. I do question how "wearing a helmet" has any bearing on blame in an accident. Are you less likely to crash if you wear a seat belt?

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

chrisg

posted on 27/6/09 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DRC INDY 7
it will never happen as there is no register for cycles which would make it imposible to police

Maybe a tax and insurance badge could be fitted to the basket on the front, if the coppers see anyone riding without a badge they could let their tyres down?

Or push them off....

[Edited on 27/6/09 by chrisg]

mistergrumpy

posted on 27/6/09 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Horses shouldn't be allowed on the roads! They're too slow, too easily spooked, think they own the road and that everyone should slow and drive around them at 3 fields distance and they're just sh1tting machines. No one else is allowed to deposit waste or effluence on the road so why are horses. Bah.
Reminds me of the bumper sticker "I love horses.....on pitta bread with salad"

chrisg

posted on 27/6/09 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
No. Cyclists have a right to use the road, as do pedestrians and horse riders. Motorist don't have that right and have to be licenced to do so.

That's it!

Everyone should get a horse, it makes perfect sense.

No emmisions (except ones that are good for roses)and the whole world would look like the Hovis ads.

Best of all no horse tax.

Now I know that this is probably going to slow traffic a little but we can have horse lanes and militant riders in shiney hats.

roadrunner

posted on 27/6/09 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
NNNOOOOO. NO way, i have had two accidents within two years, the last could have killed me if it was'nt for my shiney helmet. I know that some cyclists are pratts but if they make a mistake it's them that get hurt. If a motorist makes a mistake someone could be killed.
P.S. i do wear nice tight lycra but i am also a very serious petrol head.

James

posted on 27/6/09 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
The more bikes there are the less traffic.

There would be trouble with the environmental lobby if people were encouraged to drive instead of cycle.

By logical extension, pedestrians who use the road should the be taxed/insured too...

Leave 'em alone! Does everything under this goddamn government have to be regulated???

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

MikeRJ

posted on 27/6/09 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
Tax no, insurance a definite yes. All road users should be insured IMO.
Steve G

posted on 28/6/09 at 12:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg
So you don't subscribe to the theory that they're a bunch of freeloaders in lycra who try to dictate policy on a system where they're unpaying guests?

Just wondered like...

Cheers

Chris

Seeing as the road are paid for from central funds - not from the road fund licence, and most cyclists are taxpayers then no - they're not a bunch of freeloaders. Videos like that really wee me off and to be honest - anyone who thinks your average cyclist is like that is a complete moron. What complete shite - and i say that as a car driver as well as regular cyclist

LBMEFM

posted on 28/6/09 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
Absolutley YES, they expect respect from motorist yet many show little regards for the rules of the road. Near here they go straight through red traffic lights, wrongway through round-a-bouts and one way streets, ride two & three a breast and never signal and constantly cause havoc on the paths with pedestrians. Charge them road tax and put the money collected to build their own cycle paths and keep them off the roads.
rusty nuts

posted on 28/6/09 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
Total waste of time building cycle routes beside main roads , they NEVER use them . Some form of basic training should be compulsory as should a roadworthy bike . And yes,I do ride a bike
MikeRJ

posted on 28/6/09 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve G

anyone who thinks your average cyclist is like that is a complete moron. What complete shite - and i say that as a car driver as well as regular cyclist

I don't know about the "average" cyclist, but there are a hell of a lot that do behave like this, just as there are a lot of car drivers that shouldn't be behind the wheel.

mistergrumpy

posted on 28/6/09 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Mike's right. There's rubbish drivers as well as rubbish cyclists. It would be interesting to see how many by comparison but you very rarely see bikes being pulled because of their actions though cars, yes all day.
LBMEFM- so because of the rubbish cyclists out there you want to tax them? Because they are rubbish? That's not really a valid reason is it? Tax through being rubbish. I do like it though. Anyway, we already have cycle lanes in existance but you can't use them because they're full of rubbish that motor users throw out of there windows AND they're full of parked cars!

On another note tax means that you would all have to pay for your kids little bikes to potter around too.

JUD

posted on 28/6/09 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Insurance wouldn't be a bad thing. Years ago I was stationary in traffic on a steep downhill stretch. Cyclist caning it down the hill went straight into the back of me causing loads of damage to my car, his bike and a little to himself.

He admitted that he had been distracted by a girl in a short skirt walking down the footpath

Never got anything out of him for repairs...

---------------------
MK Indy Blade

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.