Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What Motorbike?
paulmw

posted on 29/6/09 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
What Motorbike?

I sold my MK Indy ZX10R last week as it just wasnt getting used. A very sad day indeed considering it had taken up most of my spare time building over the last 2 years. Anyway it went to a good home

However, until I pluck up the courage to build a new one there is a space in the garage.

I know nothing about motorbikes and was after a fast and fun bike for around £3k

Not that bothered about make, model, age, mileage just something fast and fun for a Sunday blat.

Any recommendations

Cheers Paul

m8kwr

posted on 29/6/09 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
I know nothing about bikes, but why don't you buy something that when you want to build another one, you can strip it down and use the engine in that - at least that way you know the history (or at least some) on the engine, and then just sell rest of the bike to get some money back!!!
sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 29/6/09 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
You'll get a '99 'Busa for that much!

My all time favourite bike is the tube frame Buell X1 Lightning. Harley engine but 50% more power, sounds fabulous and goes round corners like nothing else can. You'll get an '01 and change for your budget.

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

MakeEverything

posted on 29/6/09 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulmw
I sold my MK Indy ZX10R last week as it just wasnt getting used. A very sad day indeed considering it had taken up most of my spare time building over the last 2 years. Anyway it went to a good home

However, until I pluck up the courage to build a new one there is a space in the garage.

I know nothing about motorbikes and was after a fast and fun bike for around £3k

Not that bothered about make, model, age, mileage just something fast and fun for a Sunday blat.

Any recommendations

Cheers Paul

Depends on experience on riding bikes really.

Suzuki Bandit 1200 is a good steady bike, as are the GSXR's. TL1000, Ducati, SP1 etc are all advanced rides really. For a sunday blat, you ideally want something easy to ride.

Id go for a GSXR 750, R6, Old R1 or something like that, but its is definitely about experience and personal preference. Get to your local bike dealer, and test ride a few.
You might even get a ZZR1400 (Older one, not the new one) for that money.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

paul the 6th

posted on 29/6/09 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Cheap, reliable, lots of fun, flickable and fast but without tempting you to licence losing speeds (unless you really push it - had about 140 out of mine)

SV650 's' or 'sport' - this is me on my sport at cadwell park last year in august

if you've a fair bit of riding experience and want a bit more thump, you could get the sv1000 - which is what I've traded my sv650 in for... mines in GSXR 20th Anniversary colours 126bhp, weighs around 200kgs, had around 160 out of with with more to go but bottled it (private road of course)...

if you're interested, check out http://forums.sv650.org

SV's on bike trader

[Edited on 29/6/09 by paul the 6th]

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
r1_pete

posted on 29/6/09 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
I agree the early R1 is fast and fun, but not for inexperienced riders, just that bit too focussed, I've had my 2001 R1 for about 5 years now, and despite the advances in technology etc. I can still leave most riders of modern 1000 cc sportsbikes standing.

For something sporty, and very fast but without the razor edge, I'd go for one the middle fireblades with the 918.5cc engine, the RRS RRT RRV models, about 1995 - 1997, I had a 97 RRV, it was fast and comfortable, very forgiving, and you'll get change from your £3K. Insurance won't be a pain either.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 29/6/09 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
If you don't know anything about motorbikes I'm guessing you don't have a license yet, or passed a lot of years ago and haven't ridden much since.

If I'm right I'd suggest you forget all the superbikes mentioned until you have a year or two under your belt on something small.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

MK9R

posted on 29/6/09 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
as above, 650sv is great tool, especially for a new rider

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ed1801

posted on 29/6/09 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
What about a CB500? 0-60 in about 5 secs so quick, but not straight-into-the-nearest-tree quick, really, really easy to ride (hence they are used as training bikes) and get back into it. There is even a race series. Cheap to run, cheap to buy (minter about a grand and a bit) and it won't ever break. I've spent £90 on mine for a chain in the last year of commuting every day, insurance is also £90 and tax £45. Bargain! It is also plenty quick enough on the road. The SV650 is also a great choice and looks a bit better. Anything more powerful than that and you will immediately die if you haven't ridden a bike like that before or maintained your bike riding skills regularly, or lose your licence via the nearest court to you.
mookaloid

posted on 29/6/09 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
If you don't know anything about motorbikes I'm guessing you don't have a license yet, or passed a lot of years ago and haven't ridden much since.

If I'm right I'd suggest you forget all the superbikes mentioned until you have a year or two under your belt on something small.

I agree totally with this. Todays bikes are quite easy to ride compared with older models. They lull you into a false sense of security and allow you to go faster than perhaps you should be.

When it all goes pear shaped, it does it incredibly fast and unlike a car which absorbs the impact and protects the driver - a bike doesn't.

If this sounds like the voice of experience then you'd be about right

I love bikes, but please be careful and if you haven't ridden for a while, why not get some refresher training?

Cheers

mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

paul the 6th

posted on 29/6/09 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
as above, if you've not ridden for a while - nice and steady. I've known one or two people pass their test, get a supersport 600 and brag about getting their kneedown within a couple of days. Then a few weeks later, they've dropped the bike 3 times and put themselves into a hedge by carrying too much corner speed.

Forgot to add to add about the sv650. It's a 645cc v-twin so it has tonnes of almost linear torque spread throughout the rev range = no need to thrash it to get it moving (like the popular inline 4's). This means it's incredibly useable on the road, any gear just twist the throttle and it goes. It's a very forgiving bike which will let you find your limits but without ripping your hands off if you make a mistake.

Oh and they're very cheap & easy to maintain yourself with lots of cheap accessories & spares

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
paulmw

posted on 29/6/09 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice. I took my test years ago and will be doing some lessons very soon to re-fresh.

Sounds like the 650 above ticks all of the boxes.

Paul

big_wasa

posted on 29/6/09 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with the sv650 k4 or newer

Fast but not 1000cc now you see your licence now you dont fast.

I am after another next spring.

Gsxr600 and zx6r are nice aswell but they are reall revy motors.

paul the 6th

posted on 29/6/09 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
aye, the GSX-R, ninja (zx6r), cbr600 and r6 are all inline4's = amazing track tools but all the power is up around 10k revs... heard alot of people say they're absolutely gutless lower down, which makes for hardwork around town or when you're bimbling along.

Oh and if I haven't humped the sv650 enough, here's some video's I've done

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-5lxYbGdCw&feature=channel_page - "catherine wheel run" - 25 of us from the sv650.org

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Ncw55pcCU&feature=channel_page - ride to pateley bridge with 10 others from the sv650.org

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzsKLH0Q_KQ&feature=channel_page - summer solstice ride on my own

--------

rf900rush

posted on 29/6/09 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
If like me, short (light weight) you won't go far wrong with a sports 600.
Not much, if any slower to a 100 than bigger bikes.
Cheaper tax fuel insurance as well.
And even a good 600 will be too fast for the inexperienced.

Or get a Hayabusa, and when the Numpty in a MPV pulls out in front of you, you've then got your next donor engine.

handyandy

posted on 29/6/09 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
SV650 would be a great first "real " bike, it really is a little gem of a machine.
i ride a VFR750 & thats a good bike too, very reliable & Honda quality which lasts & lasts.

both the above bike are plenty quick enough & easy to ride & will always put a smile on your face

andy

Peteff

posted on 29/6/09 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Honda Hornet 900 is my ride, a 600 would have been my second choice or a 650 Bandit as I like to sit up and not lean on the bars for support. The SV is a nice bike, I've helped repair a few as people tend to fall off them round here for some reason.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.