Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fixing wiring to GRP
chrisg

posted on 29/6/09 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Fixing wiring to GRP

I have a need to secure some wiring to the inside of some GRP parts, but how to do it?

I don't want to drill holes in it, will those self adhesive cable tie bases stick to GRP?

Any other ideas?

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

richardh

posted on 29/6/09 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
little dobs of silkaflex
its messy but strong

Time for a change!

eznfrank

posted on 29/6/09 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
If not get a stanley blade and cut the adhesive bit off and use a bit of Sikaflex instead.

Edit - beaten to it ^^^

[Edited on 29/6/09 by eznfrank]

chrisg

posted on 29/6/09 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, I thought about that but I'm not sure how that would go down with the IVA man.

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

blakep82

posted on 29/6/09 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
i don't think IVA man is generally too keen on sticky bases

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

richardh

posted on 29/6/09 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
that could be true come to think of it but let him try and pull it off.................

Time for a change!

tomgregory2000

posted on 29/6/09 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
i sika flex some 'big head' fastners on the inside of my scuttle so i had studs sticking out that i could fix things to, no problem with sva
blakep82

posted on 29/6/09 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richardh
that could be true come to think of it but let him try and pull it off.................

i mean the ones with just the sticky pads. sikaflex will be fine, but not the normal stick pads they have

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

jabbahutt

posted on 29/6/09 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
I used sticky base pads and failed. The examiner suggested removing the sticky foam pad and using sika flex to restick the base to the grp.

No problems with the pass, though this was SVA not IVA. May be worth a phone call to a test station maybe.

blakep82

posted on 29/6/09 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
^ you can't phone the test staion anymore, you get a general number in wales i think, speak to someone who's never done an IVA before...

BenB

posted on 29/6/09 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
If all else fails you could get a little ali bracket, glue it to the inside of the GRP then laminate some glass matt over the top to hold it all in place....
chrisg

posted on 29/6/09 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies chaps, I've rung my tame IVA man and he's suggested fixing some plastic sheathing with GRP, I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Chris

MakeEverything

posted on 29/6/09 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
I was going to suggest some 20mm PVC Conduit bonded to the rails or inside of the panel. This way, they are mechanically protected to a degree as well.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

blakep82

posted on 29/6/09 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg
Thanks for the replies chaps, I've rung my tame IVA man and he's suggested fixing some plastic sheathing with GRP, I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Chris

was that the centre you phoned, or do you know someone?

mad-butcher

posted on 29/6/09 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
now f/glassing over plastic sheathing brings back happy memories of that idiot on kitcar crisis,

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisg

posted on 29/6/09 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg

Cheers

Chris

was that the centre you phoned, or do you know someone?

Someone I know, they've decided that testers "don't have time" to answer queries these days, they just put you through to some pen pusher at VOSA who gives you a stock answer from his card. "I don't have that answer to hand, I'll have to get back to you. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't - it's a definate step in the wrong direction if you ask me.

Cheers

Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.