Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can anyone make these?
chrisg

posted on 30/6/09 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Can anyone make these?

One of my Dad's mates is making a model ship (he's a wounded veteran and house bound).

He needs some rivets made in Stainless steel and he's asked me. I haven't got a clue!

Could anyone make these for him? He needs 36 of each.

Thanks

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

emsfactory

posted on 30/6/09 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
I am next to a precision engineers. I can ask them for a price if you want. No idea what they would cost though.
chrisg

posted on 30/6/09 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
That'd be good if you could - thanks mate

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/6/09 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
if you look on the web, especially on sites for miniture steam engines/trains you'll find ready made ones

[Edited on 30/6/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisg

posted on 30/6/09 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
From what I understand he's looked but they need to be this precise size for his needs.

I'll have a look though.

Cheers

Chris

Litemoth

posted on 30/6/09 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
He seems pretty handy on the CAD for an old un!

It'll be pretty expensive to tool up for a quantity of those ....

Base on stainless nails maybe?

[Edited on 30/6/09 by Litemoth]

flak monkey

posted on 30/6/09 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Considering 0.00003" is a micron (0.001mm), and some of those sizes are ambitious unless he wants them ground... even then a 5 micron tolerance is tight (a red blood cell is ~8microns!

I cant understand why rivets would need to be so closely sized, and he will struggle to get someone to make them that accurately for him as they are, TBH, unrealistic. Unless the actual tolerance on the sizes is quite wide, but this isnt shown on the drawings (remember a typical turning tolerance is +/-0.01mm (0.0003" ) at best, generally 0.02mm)

David

[Edited on 30/6/09 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

iank

posted on 1/7/09 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
I think he's probably measured the rivet on a full sized ship and applied his models scale factor without thinking about the massive accuracy he's implied.
Too easy to do when using CAD.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.