Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Harnesses - a pain in the ar*e
chrisg

posted on 30/6/09 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Harnesses - a pain in the ar*e

Why do we all fit 4 point harnesses?

They're a nightmare, particularly when it's cool weather.

It goes like this.

Put coat/gloves/scarf on. Get in car. Realise that you can't fasten harness with gloves on, take gloves off. Put gloves on dash. Fasten harness. Realise that you can't reach your gloves with harness on. Take harness off, put gloves on lap, fasten harness. Spot helmet on passenger seat, realise that it's too far away to reach with harness on. Take off harness.

Pause.

Put helmet on, well try to put helmet on - still wearing glasses. Take glasses off and put them on dash (you're ahead of me here aren't you) put helmet on, fasten harness, see glasses. Take harness off poke glasses through visor then re-fasten harness. Reach down for gloves only to discover that one of them has fallen on the floor during your manouvers.

Take off harness, pick up glove and put them on only to realise that you haven't fastened the harrness, take off gloves fasten harness put gloves on (if still within reach) start engine and drive away.

Realise that you need petrol and you'll have to go through the whole thing again at the petrol station.

Cheers

Chris

[Edited on 30/6/09 by chrisg]

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

David Jenkins

posted on 30/6/09 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
My usual trick is to get kitted up, climb in and put on harnesses, then go to start the car... to find that the keys are still in my trouser pocket.

Gloves off, harnesses off, get keys, harnesses on, gloves on, start car!

mistergrumpy

posted on 30/6/09 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Put helmet on, sod gloves and scarf because I'm not a softy from Yorkshire and put keys in ignition before I get in. Carry on!
clairetoo

posted on 30/6/09 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Stop at garage/cash machine/corner shop , undo harness , open door , pop steering wheel on top of hood .
Return to car a few minutes later , wriggle in (not easy with hood on...) , do up harness , start engine ........ WTF ? ? Where's the steering wheel ? ?
Undo harness , open door , reach up and retrieve wheel from top of hood , re-fit wheel , replace harness , drive away hoping no one noticed

This usually happens when there is some one sitting in the passenger seat ..................

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

chrisg

posted on 30/6/09 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
My usual trick is to get kitted up, climb in and put on harnesses, then go to start the car... to find that the keys are still in my trouser pocket.

Gloves off, harnesses off, get keys, harnesses on, gloves on, start car!

I'd forgotten that one, add it to my list would you?

Mistergrumpy, I usually drive naked except when it's cold, as I said, anything below minus 10

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

RK

posted on 1/7/09 at 01:17 AM Reply With Quote
No, you have it all wrong: you take 5 people with you to help you put your car in order prior to you getting kitted up, then have them run around doing harnesses and communication wires up. Of course, all your tyres are warmed up and pressures checked. They will have started the car for you prior to you putting your helmet on. They then watch as you ease your way out of the driveway. One of them checks his laptop as you drive away (of course, in your case, he's checking YouTube for funny videos and not checking engine readouts.). Oh, and there is a cameraman (to check to see which designer sunglasses your significant other has on that day.)
geoff shep

posted on 1/7/09 at 06:17 AM Reply With Quote
I've got inertia reel belts in mine with nuts for the top mounts welded to the roll bar. Not sure why more people haven't gone for the same option. Don't know how that would sit with SVA/IVA but I can't see that it's any worse than the mounting points for the harness.

Mr Whippy

posted on 1/7/09 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Worse is trying to get a passenger into a harness but they have a huge belly and all it wants to do it sit on their chest rather than round their waste….even worse if their a woman as the harness simply ends up as a bra

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eccsmk

posted on 1/7/09 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
i had this problem tonight
jump in
harnesses on
DOH
harness is too loose on centre strap
jump out tighten harness (didnt get reversed straps )
jump in
harness on
start engine
look in passenger seat
no lid
stop engine
harness off
jump out
over to the patio table (where id left my lid when answering my mobile)
put lid on
jump in
harness on DOH
keys in pocket

aah the joy of kit cars

also got to petrol station DOH
my walet was at home
so rang a mate to pop over with some pennies
still it well worth the effort when your out on a drive

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.