Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cambridge Audio / Sonos
albertz

posted on 2/7/09 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Cambridge Audio / Sonos

I currently have a cat5e network running all throughout my house, all coming back to a central cupboard. At the moment i just use the network for internet and phone connections. It has always been my intention to connect up a proper sound system.

Anyway i have been doing some work on this and Richer Sounds have designed the following system for me.

Basically they plan to use a Cambridge Audio AH10 audio hub in the cat5e cupboard, where my sky+box is also located. The sky would be connected in as a source as well as a Sonos Zone Player 90. The zone player would be receiving a wireless signal from a Sonos Zone Bridge which is connected to my PC in the study (where all my mp3s are stored).

From the AH10 hub the sources would be distributed all across the house using the network cabling. Each room would be fitted with a 'Local input module' which basically allows connection of a TV and iPod dock, from there the sources available would be linked to an amplified wall plate which is connected to ceiling mounted speakers.

Then to complete the system i would have a Sonos control pad which can be taken to any room and feeds back to the PC via the wireless system to the nearest keypad and eventually back to the PC over the cat5e network.

As i understand this will allow me to listen to any music of my PC or and iPod in any room and even control different music in different rooms etc.

This does exactly what i want - unless you know differently!? - but costs a fortune for all the equipment.

Bearing in mind i already have the cat5e network, but no installed speakers (yet), can you suggest an alternative system that might be cheaper, better, more stable etc etc?

Any advice or recommendations gratefully received as, although i have just typed all the above, i still dont know much about it all! Thanks.

balidey

posted on 2/7/09 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
not being rude, well OK maybe I am, but you say it 'costs a small fortune', do you mind me asking what sort of price you have been quoted?
albertz

posted on 2/7/09 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Not rude at all, in fact i should have included the quoted price.....£3000!

Maybe thats not too bad to some, but is expensive to me and most Locost Builders i would imagine!?

Like i say, this setup does what i want but i would like it cheaper if possible.

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 2/7/09 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on what you're after and for total overall cost, truth be told.

I've actually got a cambridge Audio amp and CD/dvd player in the bedroom, running off a small set of Mission speakers. Total cost, circa £350.

Lounge, I've got a Roksan setup, playing through floor standing Eltax speakers, total setup cost almost £2k.

Crazy, you say? Well yes, but I always like to think you get what you pay for. Each unit has an iPod interface, and I can plug it in any room or play individual CD's, depends how the mood takes me.

I like to have an individual setup for all the places I go, but a friend of mine runs all his music through his computer (Mac, to be precise). I think it's called air tunes, or similar; operates through its' own wireless router, and there's a switch plug on each stereo around his house. From his computer, he can select which speakers he wants output from. I think most rooms have the Harmon Kardon transparent dome speaker in, as he's a bit of a flash poser. But i can honestly say his setup didn't cost him £3k!

Like I said, you can pay as much or as little as you like, depends on the quality and style of system you're looking for. Richer Sounds are a good company to go with, it's where I got my Cambridge audio setup from, but I always prefer to do some background research beforehand and then go to see them and play dumb, see if what they tell me matches what I've learnt.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 2/7/09 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Correction, it's called AirPort Express!

Have a look at the Apple website and it explains all.

You could even treat yourself to an iPod touch and use it as a remote!

ashg

posted on 3/7/09 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
my best piece of advice to you is dont buy Cambridge Audio. their reliability sucks big time. i purchased some of their azur products amounting to several thousands of pounds and and out of an amp cd player dab tuner dvd player and power amp the only thing that works 2 years later is the dvd player!!

i would buy anything other than Cambridge Audio

also dont listen to the chimps in richer sounds. they are normally really nice to you but they have an agenda to push certain products. mainly being Cambridge Audio as they are the sole supplier in the uk and get it in at silly low prices compared to other brands.

[Edited on 3/7/09 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 3/7/09 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
I've never had any problems with Cambridge Audio. I understand that they are somewhat of an entry level system, but it really does depend on your budget. Arcam make some nice gear, as do Roksan, amongst others, but they're all big bucks.

I'm a bit of a fanatic, if I buy something it's usually got to be top of the range, or near to.

Still, I would rather recommend Cambridge Audio that some of the cheap tat I've been offered in other shops for half the price.

If you've got the budget, then do go nuts and spend away, but like I said, do your research and read the reviews before making a decision.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.