Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Modifying Indy rear panel; what's the best way?
Mave

posted on 7/7/09 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Modifying Indy rear panel; what's the best way?

As I'm working on my bodywork anyway, I thought it would be a good opportunity to modify the Indy's rear panel, which is actually too wide for the chassis (about an inch). I have two options;
1. I can remove a strip from the centre, and put both halves together.
2. Or I can cut the panel just next to the corners, left and right, and remove a thin strip on both sides.

My thoughts are that it will be easier to smoothen the whole operation out when the cuts are near the corners, instead of in the centre of a flat panel. Am I right in this assumption?

Marcel

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
barbarianbeast

posted on 7/7/09 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
i actually got away with just pulling mine in with some rivnuts in the chassis. and of course the mudguards cover it.
its what mk say they do, and as you long as you spend some time lining it up, it still looks good.
the less fibreglass you have to cut the better.

DRC INDY 7

posted on 7/7/09 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
i just fitted mine no probs with the fit

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

graememk

posted on 7/7/09 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
mine went on ok, or if you look at the hellfire website and you can see how they did theres.

failing that buy a new one from MK as they have had them redesigned

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 7/7/09 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
mine fitted with no problems too, but i know this is a common issue with some MK's

hobzy

posted on 7/7/09 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by graememk
mine went on ok, or if you look at the hellfire website and you can see how they did theres.

failing that buy a new one from MK as they have had them redesigned

The replacement one I just got from them after my crash doesn't fit. Should pull in with the rivnuts/bolts though.

dr-fastlane

posted on 7/7/09 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to modify it, go for option 1 I would say. Did the same with a Luego Viento noscone to fit on my build. And it worked out well.

------------------------------
I have not failed once. I have successfully found ways that will not work!

https://www.motor-forum.nl/threads/hardtail-dragstyle-project.343482/

Mave

posted on 7/7/09 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
I have had it fitted to my car, and I just pulled the sides in. Didn't look to bad. The car is totally taken apart right now, and will be repainted as well. So I thought I might just solve that "problem" as well. So still the question remains; would two cuts, one on either side of the rear at the corners, be a better solution than one cut in the middle?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 7/7/09 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
We removed a strip of fibreglass from one side of our rear panel and then bonded it back together so it was the correct width. It isn't difficult to do.

Further details here

Phil

austin man

posted on 7/7/09 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
got to say the Hellfire job is first class I have recently seen another MK using the same method. I have assisted in an Mk build and didn't modify the panel looks ok but in comparison to the Hellfire one it looks like it isnt fitted properly. All depends how confident you are with the dremme and fibreglass repair kit

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

RK

posted on 8/7/09 at 12:44 AM Reply With Quote
My ally panel is made of very thin metal, and is mounted on an ally tube that goes into the chassis rails. It isn't square (it goes a bit outwards on each side), but you really have to look on each side to notice. If you did that everywhere, you'd be depressed! But, importantly, it is the least of my problems.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.