Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Baliffs
LBMEFM

posted on 9/7/09 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
Baliffs

Off topic this but my son is a pain in the ar$e at 21 I think he should do better, however, he keeps getting himself in debt with the mobile comapny, bank etc. I have bailed him out for hundreds if not thousands. I cannot afford it anymore, he has now got a letter from the baliffs, my question is: If the baliffs call what can they officially take from here, he lives in my house how they/I prove what belongs to him or can they take what they want, Any ideas anybody?. Barry
nib1980

posted on 9/7/09 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
depends if he's listed you as a Garuntor on his problems if so, I think your stuffed.

If he hasn't they can only take what is proven to be his and secured against the debt, i.e. the product he bought and any collaterol used against it. (house, car, etc)

Most modern baliffs are actually very good, they appear strong armed, but thats for a reason, they don't all enjoy taking things away.

But becareful, a knock on the door usually adds £120 to the total bill, so if he's not in and they come back the debt gets worse quickly.

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/7/09 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
Not that I’m going to try telling you how to be a parent, I haven’t even got kids myself but I think you should put your son straight about this debt nonsense. If I’d done that when I lived at home my folks would have been selling all my stuff to pay off the debt and certainly would not have bailed me out. I think he isn’t learning anything because you keep fixing his messes for him, your only making it worse in the end.

I’ve watched some programs where the situation was exactly like yours and the bailiffs came round and only removed the sons gear, pretty much took it all too. Did leave him a bed to sleep on but that’s about it.

Further I’d force him to write a list of what exactly he is spending money on during the week, say in Excel if you know how to use that. Then make him remove any non necessary expenditures, agree a set sum to be payed off against each debt he still has outstanding (even after the bailiffs have taken all he’s got). If you don’t take charge now he will never manage to get a mortgage or learn to live by himself.

If he has credit cards and store cards, make him cut them up. Personally I'd also open any of his mail (and tell him I'm going to do so) that looks anything like a credit or bank statement.

If he doesn’t like that, tell him to move out, he's 21 and not a kid so he should stop acting like one

Below are some free online books on money management I think he'd be best reading

linky 1

linky 2

[Edited on 9/7/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ben_Copeland

posted on 9/7/09 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with Mr Whippy. HE needs to sort out his own problems, doing it for him just makes him think its ok to create more debt.

He'll never learn and how he going to manage when he moves out?

If you need any help mate i can come round and go through it all.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

l0rd

posted on 9/7/09 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Make sure he is not anywhere near the car if they come
Mr Whippy

posted on 9/7/09 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by l0rd
Make sure he is not anywhere near the car if they come

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
balidey

posted on 9/7/09 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
First thing is ring the bailifs, or the debt recovery agency they are from, their number and reference number should be on the letter.
Speak to them, explain the situation and ask them what the outcome will be. its no use someone on here saying they can't take your items, because if you say to a big bloke at your door 'You can't take that, someone on a kit car forum said you couldn't' they will just laugh. Where as if you say 'Mrs Jones from your head office said you can only take these items' they might believe you.

If the bailifs do come, hide behind the sofa .

eznfrank

posted on 9/7/09 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
I think I'd be tempted to gather up all of his belongings of any value and deliver them to the bailiffs myself. At least that way you might avoid the cost of a visit and the embarassment of it all happening infront of the neighbours.
theconrodkid

posted on 9/7/09 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/

i got some useful info from this site when i last had a run in with them

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

woodster

posted on 9/7/09 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with Mr Whippy ...... its time for tough love sit the lad down and tell him its your way or the highway ...... money management is an important life skill which in my opinion should be top of the list in school .......... good luck
jammers27

posted on 9/7/09 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Having had similar experiances when i was younger i would have to say get it out in the open, have a chat tell him he needs to sort it out or he's gotta go, but be supportive if he's willing to do what you say and sort it out. first things first is to get on the phone to them all and agree reypaments they all play hardball at first but if your willing to agree to set re payments they are usually willing to accept that if it means they get there money.

lots of good advise from everyone here, i could have done with that when i was 19 guidance is the key

Good Luck

graememk

posted on 9/7/09 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
unless its a tax debt, council tax or car HP i can pritty much say no one will call, you'll get letter after letter saying they will but they wont, you need to tell them to stop calling your phone number as its harrasment and that they should contact him directly, google for debt web forums.

then take him money off him and his ID so he cant get any other credit, give him spending money. do not pay the debt collectors but make arrangments to pay the original debt as you'll find more than one company will be chasing the same debt.

so start with offer a token of £1 per month, then that will stop the phone calls and letters for a few months untill they ask for more. also ask for early settlment figures, and get in writing before you pay.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.