Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bloody Moles!!
cerbera

posted on 10/7/09 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Bloody Moles!!

I have an infestation of moles burrowing amok in my back garden. Short of hitting them with a spade whats the best thing to get rid of them?
Have heard of some kind of sonic device which is supposed to scare them away...these any good?

BenB

posted on 10/7/09 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
You can get garlic-infested balls which you bury and apparantly they don't like. Available from quite a few of the organic gardening shops.

Personally I don't mind too much about moles in my allotment. Anything which aerates the soils is only a good thing

chrisg

posted on 10/7/09 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Moles

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/7/09 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
sorry I'd just resort to WWI trench tactics and blow the b&ggers up with cherry bombs some might consider that a bit nasty though

do you have a dog?

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 10/7/09 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
It's worth paying some money to a molecatcher - very quickly. The little beggars breed very quickly, producing around 5 or 6 offspring every time. The moles that is, not the catchers!

Our village playing field had moles, and the molecatcher got rid of them quite smartly.

Alex.

posted on 10/7/09 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
There's only one way to get rid of a mole...... Blow it's bl**dy head orf!!

Alex.

hughpinder

posted on 10/7/09 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
The sonic jobbie will just drive them into your neighbours garden, unless they have one that has just driven them into yours of course!
You can't buy the poison that used to be available, but you can use the spring traps to kill them. If you use the spring traps boil them first and then only touch them with gloves on. Moles are incredible sensitive to the smell of people. Dig up a tunnel - you can find where they are by pushing a piece of 10mm bar into the ground and feeling for the 2 inch drop when you go into a tunnel. Make sure you backfill with the soil (gloves still on) and no daylight can get in - a upside down dustbin over the top works well for this, and stops cats and dogs pestering the traps where the handles stick out the ground.
Moles work on a cycle of 4 hours on 4 hours asleep. during the "on" hours they patrol the tunnels looking for worms that have dropped in, so you should get a result in a few hours. Each mole will make 20 to 30 hill if left to it.
Best of luck
Hugh

v8kid

posted on 10/7/09 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
I use the local molecatcher at £10 a visit. Apparantly yhere are still stochs available of the cyanide they use to kill them.

I had considered using butane gas in the tunnels and igniting it - the mind boggles at flying moles- but someone told me it would kill the grass!!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cerbera

posted on 10/7/09 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Some interesting replies.
What's really annoying is if they move 12ft back from where there are digging they would be in a nice big field!!

Might give the sonic jobbie a go see if I can drive them into the field, failing that will probably use Mr WHippys idea with the cherry bombs

David Jenkins

posted on 10/7/09 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cerbera
What's really annoying is if they move 12ft back from where there are digging they would be in a nice big field!!

That's probably where they came from! You obviously have a better class of worm in your garden.

[Edited on 10/7/09 by David Jenkins]

omega0684

posted on 10/7/09 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
12 gauge shot gun?
Daddylonglegs

posted on 10/7/09 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Try Strychnine!

Or you can borrow our dog, she spends hours waiting for them, next thing you know....one dead mole in the middle of the lawn covered in dog slobber

(Apparently they taste so cr*p even the foxes won't touch 'em)

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

catman

posted on 10/7/09 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
get a farmer with a licence to use phostoxin, it is a cyinide base posion, these pellets are very nasty, they react with moisture in the air and release the gas, farmers and pest controlers use them to control rats, rabbits and moles. the typical cost is £1 a tablet and a call out fee. you normally put a tablet in each new hill, these tablets do work very well. but remember moles are territoral and new ones will move into the burrows so you might have to treat it more than once, ive got a licence but my call out fee to where you live would be huge.

hope that helps

Ed

caged supersix
Carbon/GRP
210 bhp silvertop
190 lbft

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.