Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: getting a year of manufacture plate...
franky

posted on 14/7/09 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
getting a year of manufacture plate...

I've tried searching but can't find the info for sure....

I'm buying a fury thats been built with all new parts bar the zx9r engine and a reconditioned Diff.

I know the dvla state...
Where all the parts of a vehicle are supplied new by the manufacturer. Subject to the provision of satisfactory receipts and a certificate of newness these vehicles will be registered under a current registration mark.

Kit cars which have been built using not more than one reconditioned component will also be registered under a current mark. This is subject to the provision of satisfactory evidence that the component has been reconditioned to an "as new" standard. An IVA, ESVA, SVA or MSVA test will be required.

However if I finish the car next year sometime what do I need to do to get a '10' plated car?

sorry for a boring question! I just want to clarify what I need for a year of registration plate!?

Keith Weiland

posted on 14/7/09 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
As you seem to have 2 used parts in the car then I wouldn't think it would be eligible for a new plate.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
maximill666

posted on 14/7/09 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
For a new registration all the main components need to be new with receipts to prove, although it is acceptable to have one item that is reconditioned to as new condition, receipt for this is also required.
matt_claydon

posted on 14/7/09 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
I think DVLA are quite clear on this. Everything must new with the allowance of ONE not-new item, but that must be reconditioned to as-new condition.

You could buy a brand new Sierra diff from Mitchell Cotts Transmissions or possibly Caterham/Westfield, they are not that expensive.

franky

posted on 14/7/09 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
so with a bike engine, everything else has to be new. I'll have to see how much a diff is then to work out if its worth it.
iank

posted on 14/7/09 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
DVLA have also been sniffy about Bike engines that aren't new as some of their people count them as two parts, engine and gearbox even though they are in the same casing. IIRC they've turned some people down for it and as they didn't have a donor it's straight to Q reg.

But I'm not sure why people find new reg thing attractive on kitcars to be honest, just costs a lot more to build and gives you higher road tax (emissions based rather than cc) and tighter emissions testing at MOT. Both of which are even harder on BECs. Does it really add much value when you come to sell?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

adithorp

posted on 14/7/09 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
"...higher road tax (emissions based rather than cc)..."

Not true. Tax is still on cc as there are no g.co/km figures.

"...and tighter emissions testing at MOT..."

Only true if the tester doesn't know the rules properly now (which they don't usually).

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Confused but excited.

posted on 14/7/09 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
I also am under the impression that BEC's have tighter emission standards than the original bike. As this is what the man at VOSA told me, " Once a bike engine is fitted into a car, it becomes a car engine and is tested as such".

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

franky

posted on 14/7/09 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
I was only thinking come re-sale time(if it ever happens!).

I'm not bothered either way.

iank

posted on 14/7/09 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

Only true if the tester doesn't know the rules properly now (which they don't usually).

adrian

If it's a new car i.e. xx09 xxx I was under the impression all the rules were as for new cars. As it's a new engine they can take the manufacturer g.co /km figures.

Are you sure about the MOT? Q reg are visible smoke from the manual, age related should be tested against the older of the engine or the reg date. Brand new should be tested against current regulations which are a lot tighter. Do you have a reference that shows that's different for 09 kits?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

SteveWalker

posted on 14/7/09 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

adrian

If it's a new car i.e. xx09 xxx I was under the impression all the rules were as for new cars. As it's a new engine they can take the manufacturer g.co /km figures.

There cannot be any g.co/km figures, as they can only be produced by driving the complete vehicle over the standardised course (even if it would actually be done on a rolling road). I can't remember what they do about air resistance, although this is definitely part of the test.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.