Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA & Fuel tank
rallyingden

posted on 14/7/09 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
IVA & Fuel tank

I have just been reading the IVA manual and came across this............

Fuel Tanks for Gaseous Fuels
The vehicle as presented must be accompanied by satisfactory documentary evidence with the required standard for fuel tanks for gaseous fuels (see note 1)

Does this mean that a home made steel tank will not pass ?

RD

blakep82

posted on 14/7/09 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
read the next line where it says metal tanks pass the requirements

sorry, just looked again, they've changed the wording, plastic tanks have to have suitable documentary evidence,

Plastic Fuel Tanks
The vehicle must be accompanied by satisfactory evidence that the tank is designed for road use or the fuel tank is an original fitment to a mass produced vehicle, or has been previously and is un-modified.

metal tanks just have to meet whatever's below, securely mounted etc, no requirement for any documentary evidence that it complies with anything

[Edited on 14/7/09 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

SteveWalker

posted on 14/7/09 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Gaseous fuels will be referring to LPG and the like, not petrol. You only need an approved tank for LPG etc. or for a plastic petrol tank. No approval is needed for a metal petrol tank ISTR.
rallyingden

posted on 14/7/09 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Phew........

Thanks guys.....

Yes Blake just been looking for the phrase "Metal tanks pass"

Now found another little snippit

The fuel filler cap must either be tethered to the vehicle or be of a lockable type where the key can only be removed when the cap is locked or an automatically opening and closing, non-removable fuel filler cap
(Post 0 5 / 2009 vehicles only)

So does the wording "or be of a lockable type where the key can only be removed when the cap is locked " mean that any locking cap is OK or is it meant that the ignition key would be the one trapped in the cap in the unlocked position

RD

blakep82

posted on 14/7/09 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
the older vcersion from 3 months ago said metal tanks met the requirements. anyway its fine

that next bit is basically so you can't lose it and drive away without a fuel cap. if its lockable by key, the key on the keyring ( on the same key as your ignition key ) must not come away without the tank locked.

if its a screw cap, it has to be tethered to the car

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Nash

posted on 15/7/09 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
The tank doesn't have to be certificated but the filler hose needs to be certificated as butile rubber or eqivilent i.e resistant to fuel. I made up a steel pipe but the joints that connect it at each end have to be correct material.
......… Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

iank

posted on 15/7/09 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Sadly it doesn't say what evidence is acceptable for plastic tanks.

For example the plastic Jaz tanks from RallyDesign have some American approval called SFI. No idea if they'd be allowed for IVA. I was considering using one at one point, but it seems I'll have to have some bespoke tank to fit in a fabricated bulkhead now due to the change in positioning requirements.

http://www.jazproducts.com/auto_fuel_cells.html

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

avagolen

posted on 15/7/09 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Guys, another fly in the oinment - I have recently been informed that metal fuel tanks now have to have a CE mark that is to prove that the tank is a safe pressure vessel. IVA !!!!! Any Comments. :-(
iank

posted on 15/7/09 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by avagolen
Hi Guys, another fly in the oinment - I have recently been informed that metal fuel tanks now have to have a CE mark that is to prove that the tank is a safe pressure vessel. IVA !!!!! Any Comments. :-(

It's not in the IVA manual and petrol/diesel tanks aren't pressure vessels. LPG tanks (which are pressure vessels) do need to be correctly marked.

Who informed you? If it didn't come from an SVA/IVA centre then it's probably someone reading about LPG tanks.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

avagolen

posted on 16/7/09 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, I have just checked with my data source, and he says that is NOT an IVA directive, but a recently adopted EU one. It references ALL fuel tanks as 'presurised vessels' and hence requiring a CE mark. It has been a case in Europe that a tank was deemed to be the cause of the vehicle loss and not CE marked. The insurance had an 'out'. It has been in force over there for a while. I would hope that 'grandfather rights' would apply, but new builds may have to conform. It may be a scare from a CE approved tank manufacturer!!!! but who is going to risk it?
40inches

posted on 16/7/09 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by avagolen
It may be a scare from a CE approved tank manufacturer!!!! but who is going to risk it?

Where are you going to buy a CE aproved fuel tank that fits your build?

FEZ1025

posted on 16/7/09 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
the older vcersion from 3 months ago said metal tanks met the requirements. anyway its fine

that next bit is basically so you can't lose it and drive away without a fuel cap. if its lockable by key, the key on the keyring ( on the same key as your ignition key ) must not come away without the tank locked.

if its a screw cap, it has to be tethered to the car

This has now changed in the draft I downloaded on 09/03 it clearly stated the key had to be the same as the ignition key point 16. This has now been amended & the word ignition has been removed.

OLD
16. The fuel filler cap must either be tethered to the vehicle or be of a lockable type which utilises the ignition key of the vehicle and where the key can only be removed when the cap is locked or an automatically opening and closing, non-removable fuel filler cap (Post 05 / 2003 vehicles only)
NEW
16. The fuel filler cap must either be tethered to the vehicle or be of a lockable type where the key can only be removed when the cap is locked or an automatically opening and closing, non-removable fuel filler cap (Post 0 5 / 2009 vehicles only)

I remember a post where somebody had welded the ignition key & the petrol tank key either together on onto a ring & this had been deemed acceptable.

Alan...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.