Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 9 - Removing the selector shaft?
albertz

posted on 15/7/09 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Type 9 - Removing the selector shaft?

Due to a moment of madness a few months ago it looks like i am going to have to remove the gear selector shaft from my Type 9 gearbox.

While trying to make an extended gear selector, the material was obviously not mild steel (as i thought) and while drilling for the roll pin the material hardened and would not drill. Rather than start again, stupidly, i drove the roll pin in through one side only and through the original shaft, but not right through the other side. It is difficult to explain, but basically i now have a roll pin driven into a blind hole and am trying to remove it to fix the problem.

I have tried everything i can think of to remove the roll pin, squeezing it with mole grips, drilling it etc without success.

Therefore i need to get the selector shaft out from the housing and onto the bench where i will have more options - or maybe even replace the shaft if all else fails.

Is it straighforward to remove the shaft while the engine and gearbox are still mounted?

What is the general procedure? i assume the selector shaft will be pinned onto the selector forks etc? can i get to these all by just removing the top cover of the gearbox?

I know it was stupid! Believe me i am regretting it now!

Any help appreciated

b16mts

posted on 15/7/09 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
as far as i remember, you just ondo the top 3 bolts and it lifts straight out.

i could well be horribly wrong though as it was a long time ago that i did it.

someone more intellectual will be along shortly.

kind of makes this post quite pointless really

why am i still typing?

martin

who says you can't drive a kit car when you're 6'5"?

stevec

posted on 15/7/09 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
The tail housing will have to come off before the selector shaft unfortunately.The fith gear selector bit is half way down the shaft. And you need to get the selector part at the bottom of the gear lever off before you can get the tail housing off.

albertz

posted on 15/7/09 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
....so basically i am in serious bother with this then?

If i understand you right then the small plastic part that the gear lever inserts into has to come off first....thats the part i cant get off very easily!!

Looks like it may take some more fettling to get that roll pin out. Does anyone have any alternative suggestions to get the roll pin out of a blind hole - there is about 2/3mm sticking out of the hole, but not quite enough to get a proper hold of.

Any other suggestions most welcome!!

rusty nuts

posted on 15/7/09 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Cobalt drill bits or possibly a masonry bit
stevec

posted on 15/7/09 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Its not a blind hole, you should be able to put it in a gear( i cant remember which one ) this will give you a straight access for a pin drift and you can knock it straight through.

Steve

rusty nuts

posted on 15/7/09 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevec
Its not a blind hole, you should be able to put it in a gear( i cant remember which one ) this will give you a straight access for a pin drift and you can knock it straight through.

Steve

If you read the original post it is a blind hole.

albertz

posted on 15/7/09 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately it is a blind hole! I might try a masonry drill though - nothing much to lose.
flak monkey

posted on 15/7/09 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Is the roll pin still proud? If so you should be able to pull it out. But if there isnt much to grip on you will need to drill it out wirh a carbide drill (ebay is your friend). Will drill pretty easily as long as it doesnt spin in the hole.

By the way reverse will let you get straight on access to the pin/hole.

To get the selector shaft out you need to remove the aluminium tailhousing, which means removing the 4 big bolts which hold it on and sliding it off (sometimes needs a tap with a hammer).

Then you need to remove the detent grub screw, spring and plunger from the side of the main casing, right at the front on the passenger side.

The knock out the pin in the 1st/2nd, 3rd/4th forks and be careful you dont drop it in the bottom of the box! Then knock out the 5th selector pin and the shaft will withdraw from the box.

Certainly not a box in the car job though!

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

stevec

posted on 15/7/09 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
quote:
Originally posted by stevec

Steve

If you read the original post it is a blind hole.

Oh c**k i thought he was on about the type nines roll pin,

[Edited on 17/7/09 by stevec]

NS Dev

posted on 16/7/09 at 06:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by albertz
Unfortunately it is a blind hole! I might try a masonry drill though - nothing much to lose.

I have been lucky once doing this sort of thing, used a self tapper that was just the right size to bite on the pin a bit but not so tight that it expanded the pin and made it too tight, then yanked the pin and screw out together by levering with sidecutters.

[Edited on 16/7/09 by NS Dev]

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.