Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How does this work then?
Mark G

posted on 19/7/09 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
How does this work then?

I opened up my carb balancer kit this week and I'm already confused by how it is supposed to fit on the engine.

The kit consists of 4 vacuum gauges, 4 lengths of rubber hose, 4 adjustable valves, 2 180mm extensions and 2 65mm extensions.

I don't understand why I have 2 long and 2 short extensions rather than just having 4 equal length extensions. I can only fit the long extension on no.4 anyway as the starter motor gets in the way for any of the other cylinders.

I thought I'd just cut the 2 long ones to length to match the shorter ones but the problem there is that they have restrictors in the end of the pipes so I'll get inaccurate readings if I do this.

Whats the best way to modify the tubes or am I better off buying some new adaptors?

Am I also right in thinking that to get an accurate reading I need to have equal length tubes to the gauges?

Many thanks
Mark.

huskychaser

posted on 19/7/09 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Re carb gauges.

Hi, dont you have any instructions??, ------there for the vacume, where the air filter fits, to set up each carb the same.
bigpig

posted on 19/7/09 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
You can balance with just the three brass screws.

You just get the readings off all four, three at a time, the do the tweeks. Normally you sync by getting all 4 needles to read the same position, but you can do it with just three gauges. After all you can balance a pair of webbers using one of those push in carb gauges.

The plastic taps work as the restrictors to stop the gauge needles bouncing around too much, you just cut each hose and insert the taps.

Forgot to add. Its probably easier to balance them in pairs just moving the brass inserts along each time(e.g. balance 1 & 2, then take 1 out into 3, then 2 out into 4).

Get the readings first though as you will probably find they don't need much more than a minior tweek at most. Given that its a single cable I assume, they don't dift out of sync much if at all.

[Edited on 19/7/09 by bigpig]

Mark G

posted on 19/7/09 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
It does come with instructions which say to fit the longer extensions on to the centre cylinders? They won't fit the center due to the starter motor being in the way. It doesn't explain the reason for the different length tubes either.

tomgregory2000

posted on 19/7/09 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
i cant help you with the tube length but bike carbs have different jets in the middle 2 carbs than the outer 2, maybe that has something to do with it?
Mark G

posted on 19/7/09 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000
i cant help you with the tube length but bike carbs have different jets in the middle 2 carbs than the outer 2, maybe that has something to do with it?

Really? I've fitted a dyno jet kit so does this make any difference?

mistergrumpy

posted on 19/7/09 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
I've got the same balancer as that. The brass extensions have threads on the end that don't fit the ZX9 vacuum take offs so I drilled some small threaded extension pieces to fit the take offs and then just used some equal length pieces of rubber tube to get me clear of things like the starter motor and then atteached the brass extensions to them. If you understand me.
richmars

posted on 19/7/09 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
The length doesn't matter.
You only get a pressure drop in a tube when you have flow. You shouldn't have flow with a dead end (the gauge) at the end.
The restriction may be there to help dampen out any fluctuations but once everything is stable will have no effect.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.