Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: locost outdoor materials
andrew-theasby

posted on 20/7/09 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
locost outdoor materials

Can anybody suggest a locost/reused material suitable for using outdoors. Im making a climbing frame for my daughter and one of the walls will be a giant connect 4 but i cant think what to make it from without spending a fortune, i dont think plywood will last very long as ill be drilling 4" holes in it. Only thing i can think of was the stuff car trailer floors are made of but i dont know how much that is.
The sheet neeeds to be about 3ftx4ft and strong enough so they dont fall through it.

blakep82

posted on 20/7/09 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
i'd have thought properly treated and painted marine ply would last longer than shes living at home

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

andrew-theasby

posted on 20/7/09 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
is marine ply different to the outdoor ply they sell at the local wood yard?
jpindy3

posted on 20/7/09 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
yes marine ply would last years but its 50quid a sheat
balidey

posted on 20/7/09 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jpindy3
yes marine ply would last years but its 50quid a sheat

That price is not really a good indicator. Do you mean 3mm, 6mm, 9mm, 12mm etc etc?

The stuff trailer floors are made from, well there are loads of different types, and again loads of different thicknesses available. The general term for it is Wisa (the trade name of one of the suppliers) and can range from £10 to £80. But its still just ply. And any cuts in it would need to be sealed really well.

andrew-theasby

posted on 20/7/09 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Was thinking something like the 12mm plywood i can get locally for £20-25. £50 is probably a bit too much really
balidey

posted on 20/7/09 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
well you would need to seal all the cuts anyway, so 'normal' 12mm ply with a liberal coating of thick paint should last a couple of winters outdoors.

But its the old saying, you get what you pay for. We use at work cheap ply for intenal work and good quality ply for external. You can tell the difference.

Bladerunner

posted on 20/7/09 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Marine Ply

Get yourself down to Wicks, they have exterior ply in thickness's of 6mm, 9mm, 12mm, & 18mm. Sheet sizes are 1827 by 607 or 1220 by 607. Dearest price is £27.99, I have used this outside for five years without problem.

Adventure before Dementia

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/7/09 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
Just paint it in nice bright exterior gloss, I do my dogs houses every couple of years and they still look like new

What rots wooden stuff is it being next to the damp ground or grass so keep it clear of that. I raised the dogs houses to prevent that and put plastic sheet directly underneath.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andrew-theasby

posted on 20/7/09 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Its about 5ft in the air so that shouldnt be a problem Off to Wickes it is then cheers
main82000

posted on 20/7/09 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
pitty you dont live near me i would of got for you from work at a pound a mm so 12mm ply wold cost 12 quid etc if you want the natural timber look use yatch varnish http://www.ronseal.co.uk/products/product.jsp?id=33
the link is just a guide

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 20/7/09 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
The main difference with marine ply is the glue - it doesn't fall apart when it gets wet.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.