Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: Bye Bye Locost
dogwood

posted on 20/7/09 at 07:14 PM
Bye Bye Locost

If what I have been reading on the Haynes forum is correct about Chris Gibbs

then I will no longer be posting on this forum.

I think it's totaly out of order.
http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2366
David

[Edited on 21/7/09 by dogwood]

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

RichardK

posted on 20/7/09 at 07:15 PM
Yikes, looks like things need to settle for a while while emotions calm a little.

I remember seeing that joke and thought it quite funny and to be honest quite in line with Chris who appears to be quite a playfull charactor.

Certainly didn't think he'd get banned for it.

I also don't think it right for an admin to change somebodies user profile without that users permission even if the person does own the board.

Just seem a bit OTT.

Like many I've now finished my car and am in the position like Chris to be able to offer advice to the newbies so unfortuanatly the people who suffer the most are the new builders who can't learn from the people who have been there and done that if they aren't allowed to contribute just because a joke went do bad.

Hope it all gets sorted soon.

Rich

[Edited on 20/7/09 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
t.j.

posted on 20/7/09 at 07:15 PM
??? Are we splitting?

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

02GF74

posted on 20/7/09 at 07:16 PM
clue?

prawnabie

posted on 20/7/09 at 07:17 PM
he has been banned for starting joke posts.

TBF i think this is the same situation Mr henderson was in a few weeks back, something that got out of hand really quickly and ended up witht he worst possible outcome.

[Edited on 20/7/09 by prawnabie]

dan__wright

posted on 20/7/09 at 07:18 PM
reading it now on the haynes forum
dan__wright

posted on 20/7/09 at 07:23 PM
sig fixed

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

Guinness

posted on 20/7/09 at 07:24 PM
Just found the Haynes forum. Busy there init.

Mike

flak monkey

posted on 20/7/09 at 07:29 PM
Seems a bit OTT for what was a pretty normal couple of posts from Chris, i.e tongue planted firmly in cheek.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Gazeddy

posted on 20/7/09 at 07:31 PM
I'm with the haynes roadster guys. It was a joke and got out of hand. But I dnt think he needed that putting I his sig. Like somone said of the for sale post contrbution was announced it would have been better recieved. I am going to donate on payday provided ther is another way to donate other than paypal.
t.j.

posted on 20/7/09 at 07:34 PM
Hope they sort it out...

I don't like more then one LCB.

The contribution is tru the internet, not my style yet.. But it free to do. So....

We need to hear both sides....

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

handyandy

posted on 20/7/09 at 07:38 PM
this has got out of hand,
surely a SIGNATURE is a members PERSONAL input to his/hers profile & in my opinion should NOT BE ALTERED BY ANYONE, unless the signature is offensive or uses foul language.

it is down right rude that Chris Gibbs signature has been changed .

with all due respect to ChrisW, that is a step too far, big brother rings a bell.

andy

David Jenkins

posted on 20/7/09 at 07:39 PM
When I read Chris's post I thought "Ooh - that's not going to go down well".

I do think the reaction was too blunt.

Six of one, half-dozen of the other...

Shame. Hope it all settles down again.

DarrenW

posted on 20/7/09 at 07:41 PM
I hope this gets sorted out amicably. Seems such a shame for it to get out of hand. Cant help thinking there is more to it than just an ill timed joke in the madhouse section.

Would be nice to see ChrisG back with us rather than a bit of a forum split.

slimtater

posted on 20/7/09 at 07:42 PM
The signature that has been added is an absolute disgrace and is a complete abuse of the position of a mod/admin.

The number of endless threads of petty arguements that have been allowed to go on, yet someone who has a put more in to helping locost builders than most gets banned?

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/19919222

balidey

posted on 20/7/09 at 07:45 PM
I personally think that if a notice had been posted up in advance about the donation requirement then there would have been no posts about it and then this would not have happened. but it has, and I can see this causing one of those US and THEM situations, which I detest.
Andy W

posted on 20/7/09 at 07:46 PM
I think if Chris hadn't posted this, it would not have been long before someone tried to sell something in another section in the forum anyway.
By making a joke, it has probably stopped this happening.
Definate over re-action

Andy

flak monkey

posted on 20/7/09 at 07:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by slimtater
The signature that has been added is an absolute disgrace and is a complete abuse of the position of a mod/admin.

The number of endless threads of petty arguements that have been allowed to go on, yet someone who has a put more in to helping locost builders than most gets banned?

Agreed. The addition of the sig is totally OTT. Personal digs are uncalled for from either side, in my opinion.

A post in the annoucements section about the change to the for sale rules would have made things a LOT smoother, and would have caused a lot less hassle I think. I can totally understand Chris' standpoint that he cant afford to provide this site for free and relies on contributions of members to keep it up and running hence why I contributed a long time ago as the amount of knowledge and advice on here is second to none.

There are a lot of forums that place very strict rules on even posting the for sale section (one I am on requires you have been a member for over 1 year and have over 500 technical related posts!) so we do have it pretty easy in here really

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

jpindy3

posted on 20/7/09 at 07:52 PM
mate thats fu*king funny,he shouldnt be barred for that!
prawnabie

posted on 20/7/09 at 07:52 PM
This is only my opinion, and don't have a go at me but...

I think people who are regarded as "suppliers" so to speak (triton, chris_g, marc n etc etc) who post on this forum should maintain a professional attitude.

Please don't think im say they can't have a laugh, but they should distance them selves from anything that would cause trouble on the forum.

Maybe im just old fashioned, but this is the way i would expect it to be if it was my forum!

[Edited on 20/7/09 by prawnabie]

COREdevelopments

posted on 20/7/09 at 07:55 PM
seems someone is getting too big for his boots!! I have noticed alot of threads being closed recently. Think we need to get back to building things, which is what we are all here for not "bitching"

Rob

Dangle_kt

posted on 20/7/09 at 07:55 PM
Pretty sad state of affairs that doesn;t seem to do anyone any favours.

Fozzie is a great mod, and runs the site fine - we are used to the style that is used. I guess Chris has a different more agressive style - the shame is that it is all born from a change in policy.

If that hadn't have happened none of this agro would have appeared.

personally I;d have pour oil on troubled waters rather than do something that makes things worse - but like I said we arn;t used to Chris's style.

Maybe he will return to a less hands on approach and things can get back to normal?

mistergrumpy

posted on 20/7/09 at 07:56 PM
But Chris isn't a supplier, trader or anything is he? He's just a member who wrote a book in relation to a car (not a Locost) just as other members may fix cars or supply car parts that are totally unrelated too.
prawnabie

posted on 20/7/09 at 07:59 PM
hence the "so to speak"

change supplier to "person associated with "locost/haynes" in a proffesional/business sence".

mistergrumpy

posted on 20/7/09 at 08:03 PM
Nah can't agree with you Prawn. Not having a go mind. For instance as some may know I'm a copper (I know, I know)and as such I have to act professionally so as not to bring the force into disrepute (no funny comments!) but it doesn't mean that I can't let my hair down when I'm out and even more so when I'm on an internet site, which some people tend to take far too seriously.
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.