Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone built a campervan...?!
foes

posted on 22/7/09 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone built a campervan...?!

Well, converted a panel van into a camper/day van...?

I've been thinking about getting a van for a while as its ideal for my mountainbike and occaisional fishing trips, and its since progressed into buying a van and slowly converting it into a campervan but with enough room to get two or three downhill bikes in so i can still use it every weekend...
Nothing major really just a second leisure battery on a split charge relay, maybe a sink/water supply, a seat/pullout bed and heater should be sufficient.

Been thinking mainly about a vw t4 transporter or maybe a vito, i'd prefer a t4 tho i think as they can be made to look pretty cool, anyone had much experience of either..? or small vans in general..?

I found this thread earlier with a link to a t4 forum so i've just registered there aswell, but was hoping someone on here has done a similar thing and could give me a few pointers...?

cheers.

MautoK

posted on 22/7/09 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Many years ago a friend of a friend spliced a Bedford coach and an ex-army Bedford 4x4 truck...

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

spdpug98

posted on 22/7/09 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Not me, but when I used to do a bit of MotoX a few of the lads had converted Merc Sprinters into campers.

They left enough space in the rear for a couple of crossers and then put the living accom' in front of that.

Some great bits of kit and built for half the price that you can buy one for

My Blog: http://spdpug98.wordpress.com/

foes

posted on 22/7/09 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MautoK
Many years ago a friend of a friend spliced a Bedford coach and an ex-army Bedford 4x4 truck...

Hmmm, maybe a litte ott for me

owelly

posted on 22/7/09 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Buy a Bongo!
I happen to be selling mine........

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rod Ends

posted on 22/7/09 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
www.sbmcc.co.uk The Self Build Motor Caravanners Club
thorpey182

posted on 22/7/09 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in the process of doing the exact same thing, even down to the same kind of bikes. I've got a T4 panel van & keeping it as a panel van, bit more private from prying eyes. If your going for a full campervan then definatly go for a T4 with rear windows, awesome vans! Only just started mine, got it fully insulated, ply lined and carpeted. Looking at building a bike holder to stay fixed in the van. The VW T4 forum is full of advice & tips, plus everyone is as helpful as you could wish.

Light, Strong, Cheap - Choose any two.

foes

posted on 22/7/09 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thorpey182
I'm in the process of doing the exact same thing, even down to the same kind of bikes. I've got a T4 panel van & keeping it as a panel van, bit more private from prying eyes. If your going for a full campervan then definatly go for a T4 with rear windows, awesome vans! Only just started mine, got it fully insulated, ply lined and carpeted. Looking at building a bike holder to stay fixed in the van. The VW T4 forum is full of advice & tips, plus everyone is as helpful as you could wish.

Cool, exactly what i want to do, the stealth look (no windows) is deffo the way to go, especially when the bikes are worth considerably more than the van eh!

I'd been thinking about some kind of holder for the bikes too, could you fit a bed and two fully built bikes in?

What engine you gone for? and how much you budgeting for the conversion?

[Edited on 22/7/09 by foes]

thorpey182

posted on 22/7/09 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
especially when the bikes are worth considerably more than the van eh!
very true!!

Engine wise I've gone for the 2.5TDi model which IMO the best engine for power & ecomony. Mines a SWB so enough room for bikes and a sleeping bag with a LWB it'll be a bit of a squeeze but with some clever designing I reckon there'll be space for a bed & bikes. Best bet is to get the tape measure out!

Budget wise, it's the same as building a car - you have what you want to spend and then the amount you actually spend! I've got about 600-800 for the conversion - although mine will be literally a posh panel van.

owelly

posted on 22/7/09 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
If the Bongo is no good for you, why not get the Auto Free Top off a scrap one and fit it to your VW? Then you can pop the roof up, climb upstairs and have a kip. The downstairs can be kept full of beer and pies.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hillbillyracer

posted on 22/7/09 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
The VW T4 is a great van, nice to drive, well built, better than most for rust, loads of stuff available for converting into a camper, loads of stuff for a bit of customising too, & a following in the VW scene that no other van has got.
There's a but though! You'll pay a bit of a premium for one over another van of similar spec & condition (Worth it to many but is it to you?) Also have a good look at one to see whether it's up to what you need size-wise, they are a touch pinched for room compared to a SWB low roof Transit or Renault Traffic. The LWB model helps with that but they're not so common.
I happen to run a T4 & for me it's ideal, not really any bigger to park than a big car but big enough for what I do & decent towing weight, it's not a camper more of a working machine (though I have slept in it!)

les g

posted on 22/7/09 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
i would stay away from older merc vitos
they are great vans when new
but high milers are very expensive to fix and maintain
cheers les g

Volvorsport

posted on 22/7/09 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
i think haynes have a book out how to build your own motorhome , in fact i own a copy !!!

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

fatfranky

posted on 22/7/09 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
I converted a VW T3 about 15 years ago.

As already said there are plenty of forums & converters about, you can buy the furniture boards and make your own units or you can buy furniture kits.

I would start buy looking at some of the better conversions around and pick the best features that you want. Respectfully, it doesn't sound like you want a conventional spec due to needing room for your bikes.

I would suggest that you start by looking at the pukka conversions to see what features you fancy.

Places I would suggest to start looking

Reimo- German converter & supplier with UK agent, also do a range of weekender setups with less furniture and modular seats- may be some good features there for you.

Leisuredrive, Budget converter/DIY supplier

Beckenham Motor Caravans, Budget converter/DIY Supplier

Bilbos- used to be budget look more upmarket now.

Can't really think of any more at the mo.

Do also bear in mind that the more "conventional" it is the more saleable it is.

Do you want features like
Proper bed (look for Rock & Roll bed)
Built in cooker- seems good but makes van stink
Fridge AKA Beer cooler
Built in water tank- can always use 5 gallon camping containers
Split charge leisure battery- pretty simple really
Insulation - recommended

Good luck

foes

posted on 23/7/09 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
awesome, thanks for all the info, plenty to think about...

thorpey182- What can i expect mpg wise out of a 2.5 Tdi...?

cheers.

[Edited on 23/7/09 by foes]

thorpey182

posted on 23/7/09 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
the intercooled 2.5 is slightly better than the non-intercooled, but around the late 30s/early 40s. Best run I have got is a careful & steady 60 down to Cornwall and got near as dam it 45.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.