Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: in-line mid-engine kit car?
dickie b

posted on 27/7/09 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
in-line mid-engine kit car?

Hello Gents

I am interested to know what mid-engine kit-cars exist that are in-line / transaxle, but are not of the V8 variety (i.e not a GT40 / GD spyder etc).

I am thinking about a closed-cockpit group C style car (a smaller sized ultima I suppose)- the only thing that comes close is a Kellforms Retoga - but that comes with a hefty price tag and seems a touch delicate for road use.

Hence, thinking about using an existing chassis (car engine) but adding cage hoops and creating a bespoke set of body panels.

Off the top of my head there are a few kit cars that sort of relate to what I am thinking:

1. Midtec Spyder (if any still exist)
2. Spire GTR (car engine)
3. SDR sportcars (subaru engine)

any other suggestions?

(the audi v6 engine / transaxle combo is what I have in mind.. )

cheers
Richard

Phil.J

posted on 27/7/09 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
The Ginetta G12 is a handsome car, very compact.
From what I remember the complete kits are expensive, but you could look at buying the body shell parts and building your own chassis etc.
For example:
http://www.g12plus.com/

[Edited on 27/7/09 by Phil.J]

deezee

posted on 27/7/09 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know if this is any good to you, but how about the MR2 donor, Ultima style, DDR?

http://www.ddrmotorsport.com/kits.php

dickie b

posted on 27/7/09 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the link - was looking at the other way round : of buying a middie and making my own body- an idea kicked off by the Midtec Spyder..

A good (Lee Noble) chassis, but clothed in a fugly bodyshell.

dickie b

posted on 27/7/09 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
I remember a while back a single-seat style car with an audi engine and gearbox mounted in-line.

I cant recall the name of it - red pointy thing.. only one seat was the main problem with it.

rost

posted on 27/7/09 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
@ Dickie B, I think you mean the Edge Devil!

linky

[Edited on 27/7/09 by rost]

Charlie don't surf!

dickie b

posted on 27/7/09 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
aha - thats the one !

Bit pie-in-the-sky thinking all this, but just needs two seats and it may be closer to enable a bodyshell of 'LMP1' type proportions (stubby front.. longer tail)

Idea is all the ingredients (and lower costs)of a regular kit car brew but running in-line under a racing body.

hmmm...

Dick Axtell

posted on 27/7/09 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
N-2-S Mid-engined

IIRC Tiger people produced a Lotus 23 lookylike. Fits the bill, maybe?

Loadsa luck with yer build.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

jacko

posted on 27/7/09 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
This looks nice
Ginetta
Ginetta

[img][/img]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dickie b

posted on 27/7/09 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
yup - overall size and layout ; this is kind of what I had in mind, but with more of modern bodywork.

a sort of middle-weight budget Ultima I suppose - but without the expensive componentry ! Not sure anything along these lines exists on the market at the moment.

suparuss

posted on 27/7/09 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dickie b
yup - overall size and layout ; this is kind of what I had in mind, but with more of modern bodywork.

a sort of middle-weight budget Ultima I suppose - but without the expensive componentry ! Not sure anything along these lines exists on the market at the moment.

nope not really, thats part of why i designed my own from scratch. my car is pretty close to your requirements but is a one off as far as im concerned.

dickie b

posted on 28/7/09 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hi superuss

Have had a good old nose around your build pics. Wow that is some undertaking eh? Impressive stuff.

The car is shaping up great by the way and as you say, very close to what I am gabbing on about.

Your build has certainly inspired me to tackle a full bodywork project, although the chassis would be bought in (and modded accordingly with screen hoops etc)

Weirdly the MNR wolf / tytan that is currently for sale on ebay is closest I have seen to a chassis that fits the bill. Uses Audi power and dimensionally isnt that big either.

The body styling is not to my taste - Just a pity MNR have sold it on and it isnt in production as that would of given me my starting point.

suparuss

posted on 28/7/09 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Wow that is some undertaking eh?

yes you could say that!

the only 2 cars (that i can think of) other that the obvious ultima to use a chassis from that are already mid engines are the lancia stratos replica and attack kit cars, photots below. both are for transverse engine but could be modified for longitudinal. but i reckon if you are going to tackle the bodywork then building a chassis from scratch is a doddle in comparison.

stratos chassis-

attack chassis-

[img]http://rcle0a.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pK-QhaamQqKB1_CBI9wPyqjjCpVg5jAMjx7xBEB2QDl_TowRy9n6yYYmKP2JbzEhOdPZ__2I1PFfj4RlaMEHbejcBKf-J7JYJ/1f69.jpg[ /img]

[Edited on 28/7/09 by suparuss]

dickie b

posted on 28/7/09 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
talking of Stratossss ( stratii?) - remembered this:

http://www.superstratos.com/corse_car.html

They have moved the engine and box into longtitudinal for the GTE version, but price is still way off my beam !

suparuss

posted on 28/7/09 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
holy crap £5,595 + VAT???? for the chassis.?? dont think il lhave spent that much on my entire car when its finished.
orton1966

posted on 28/7/09 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Blaze???

There is a kit called the Blaze, based on a similar chassis to the Aeon but some were/are produced with the engine installed north-south. The body style is open top and not very LMP although I did speak to the company a year or so back when I was looking for something similar to you and at the time they did say they were working on a more LMP style body.

Another option is MNR they have mentioned doing a car engined version of there LMP style car, again open top but looking very nice

[Edited on 28/7/09 by orton1966]

andygtt

posted on 3/8/09 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by suparuss
but i reckon if you are going to tackle the bodywork then building a chassis from scratch is a doddle in comparison.

I would agree whith this... the chasis is a doddle compared to the body.

Also worth bearing in mind there are loads of professionals that can help you for realistic money to build/reengineer a chasis, the same is not true for the body and you will be pretty much on your own to finish it....

Andy

please redefine your limits.

dickie b

posted on 3/8/09 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
The bodywork is the side that rather excites me the most - though this is coming from someone who has never attempted it before, ever.

Looking at various sources it does sound a messy time consuming business, but love the idea of seeing the form of a car emerging from out of the ether. So to speak.

cheapracer
Builder

Posts 156
Registered 29/11/08

Photo Archive Go!
Building: The Worlds next big thing of course!

posted on 7/8/09 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The bodywork is the side that rather excites me the most - though this is coming from someone who has never attempted it before, ever.

Looking at various sources it does sound a messy time consuming business, but love the idea of seeing the form of a car emerging from out of the ether. So to speak.

Bodywork is just a whole heap of imagination and an eye for dimensions. When i make a buck I just look at and use all sorts of odd things to get shapes - my last effort included 4 bicycle mudguards and a plastic safety hat to get some curves I needed.

It's coming....

tadltd

posted on 26/8/09 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
This'll be making a comeback in 2010:

lmp-07
lmp-07

...with a number of updates.

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kreb

posted on 27/8/09 at 03:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

This'll be making a comeback in 2010:

Glad to hear it! Always liked that car - a lot!

https://www.supercars.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/1966_FiatAbarth_1000SP1.jpg

GRRR

posted on 27/8/09 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Totally agree, I loved the TAD LMP (correct?!) first time I saw it!
orton1966

posted on 28/8/09 at 05:52 AM Reply With Quote
Price??

I also came across this one (TAD LMP) when I was looking for options for my own mid-engined build. At the time I think the price seemed prohibitive (for my budget) looking at their website it now appears they will now only be available pre-built, it would be interesting to see some prices/specs!

Although it wasn't quite in production whilst I was looking (I have know decided to build from scratch) MNR's LMP was the car of this type that I thought had the best combination of; value, performance (potential) and build quality/engineering.

kipper

posted on 11/9/09 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
There is a single seater with a BMW engine and trans in line on E bay right now.
Sorry I can't do the linky thing.
Denis.

Where did that go?
<<<<

ceebmoj

posted on 11/9/09 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/unfinished-F1-style-single-seater-rolling-chassis-BMW_W0QQitemZ150371614897QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item2302d8c0b1 &_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_500wt_1182

nice and long at the back

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.