Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY Surgery - skin tags
eznfrank

posted on 28/7/09 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
DIY Surgery - skin tags

I've done the odd bit of "bloke" DIY surgery in my time, removing toe nails close to becoming in-grown, digging out warts etc but now I have a skin tag and want to get rid but not sure of the best way.

So, do I...

a) just cut it off and be ready to mop up the blood.
b) tie a piece of cotton round it and wait for it to drop off.
c) See a doctor.
d) Leave it well alone.

balidey

posted on 28/7/09 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Err, are you sure its a skin tag? My wife would be devastated if I cut mine off
Agriv8

posted on 28/7/09 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
see a doctor as your paying for the service if you use it or you dont.

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Mr Whippy

posted on 28/7/09 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balidey

?! its that small, you'd mistaken it for a skin tag?

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
graememk

posted on 28/7/09 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
ok how a about a dremmel ?

there must be a tool for it in homebase

cd.thomson

posted on 28/7/09 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
see a doctor man! why are the other options even considered!

Craig

Mr Whippy

posted on 28/7/09 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
b)

either that or a red hot poker

[Edited on 28/7/09 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 28/7/09 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by balidey

?! its that small, you'd mistaken it for a skin tag?

thats what i thought

er, doctor would say its fine, leave it alone. not much good it you wan't it gone (=leave it well alone)

cotton and wait til it drops off sounds alright, but i wouldn't much want bits of me dead but still attached to me

cut it off and mop up the blood is probably cleanest safest approach, but probably the most painful

where is it? i'f its not somewhere annoying, probably best to leave it

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

imp paul

posted on 28/7/09 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
cider vinegar a plaster and 1/2 a aspirin and the thing will go
imp paul

posted on 28/7/09 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Some of them are more painful than others, but they will safely and successfully get you rid of your skin tags.

Skin tags can be removed using some herbal extracts like Dermisil for skin tags which is used as a topical treatment. It is a very gentle treatment that attacks only the tissues of the tags to destroy them without harming any other parts of the healthy skin.

One other way to remove a skin tag is to tie a thin string around its base for a couple of days until the skin tag falls off. By doing this, you cut off the blood supply to the skin tag causing the death of its tissues. For this purpose, you can use a sewing thread, a dental floss or a fishing line.

You can also remove a skin tag by using some fingernail polish. You completely cover the tag with it twice a day. As the fingernail polish starts to dry out, the skin tag will start to shrink and then disappear within 2 weeks.

Another more drastic way of removing skin tags is to use disinfected scissors or a pair of disinfected nail clippers to cut them off. Apply a good amount of rubbing alcohol to the skin tag and to the scissors or nail clippers and then snip the tag from the base. Then you should be ready to apply some peroxide along with pressure to the tissues to stop the bleeding.

trogdor

posted on 28/7/09 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
I have used nail clippers in the past, if you get it right and clip the tiny bit of skin holding the tag on it doesn't hurt much or bleed much.

But this is only my experience!

Mr Whippy

posted on 28/7/09 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
going by some gross photos on flicker of DIY surgery, there's little in the way of nerves to feel it and it doesn't bleed much at all.

mds167

posted on 28/7/09 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
I asked my quack and they were quite non-committal.
I think if you're sure it's a skin tag then self-harm is OK but I've been referred to a dermatologist for my lumps, bumps and marks...
That was two months ago, appointment is next month
Better be safe than sorry?

Howlor

posted on 28/7/09 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Waiting on the outcome as I could do to remove a couple. I have heard that the doc is reluctant to remove as it is classed as cosmetic surgery, you have to lay it on thick that it is rubbing and causing severe man pain!

Steve

Howlor

posted on 28/7/09 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
On another note is it worth asking Chris for another forum folder, Locost Surgery?
britishtrident

posted on 28/7/09 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Freezing them off with a wart removal kit from Boots works well --- takes about 2 weeks repeated applications needed completely painless.

Cutting off is OK for small ones but bigger ones can bleed more than you might expect.

The cutting off the blood supply with notted thread works but is tricky to do especially single handed.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

bartonp

posted on 28/7/09 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Angle grinder!
(Can't believe I'm the first to suggest that!)

ChrisW

posted on 28/7/09 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Just done one of these myself. Went to the quack who told me just to leave it, or make an appointment to have it frozen off, which would be painful.

I asked her whether I should just tie cotton around it and was told that she wasn't allowed to recommend it, but there should be no problems.

So that's what I did. Took about 2 weeks, and had to constantly make the cotton tighter. Mine was on my back so I had to get the Mrs to do it. It's a bit uncomfortable when the cotton is first pulled tight, but it goes within a few minutes. Eventually it fell off when I was drying my back after a shower. Didn't even realise until I wondered what was on the floor. Looked like a small raisin, lol.

Disclaimer: I'm not a medical professional, and accept no blame if anything bad happens!

Chris

DarrenW

posted on 28/7/09 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
I went to see doc. He did it straight away. Just used a hot wire knife. Was remarkably (almost) pain free. I wouldnt think of DIY now i know how simple it is.

Anyone tried tying string to base of a skin tag that is (eg) under an armpit???

eznfrank

posted on 28/7/09 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Wow, didn't expect so many replies to such a bizarre thread.

Since posting this my colleague (who is also an accomplished DIY surgeon) reminded me of the time that he had a skin tag on his eyelid which he chose to pull off about an hour before we were due to interview a suspect. Imagine turning up to be interviewed in relation to some crime and find the interviewers are two massive skinhead blokes, one of whom has blood pouring out of his face.

Mind you, this is the same guy who was once interviewing a very very pretty witness and had a massive droplet of snot fall out of his nose and land on his notepad in full view of the girl. He was gutted!!

mitch2b

posted on 28/7/09 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
i had two removed from under my arm as Darren says, doc did it there n then with hot wire knife,
pain free but smelt a little, lol

HTH Mitch

Staple balls

posted on 28/7/09 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
I'd just use some fine-tipped tweezers and a clean scalpel blade, wait for the bleeding to slow, then stick some superglue over the hole to seal it, clean occasionally with some 6% hydrogen peroxide.

Certainly not a blood-free venture, but I've used similar tactics in the past with good results.

DarrenW

posted on 28/7/09 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
I bet one of those high powered soldering irons would work. Wrap some thickish copper wire around the end and get it hot. Pull tag with pliers and whip it off with knife.

Might smart a bit. Have tissue at the ready (to wipe your tears away as well as your mate's tears helping you who will be in fits of uncontrollable laughter at your demise)

britishtrident

posted on 28/7/09 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Freezing them is painless only stings a bit

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Dangle_kt

posted on 28/7/09 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mds167
I asked my quack and they were quite non-committal.
I think if you're sure it's a skin tag then self-harm is OK but I've been referred to a dermatologist for my lumps, bumps and marks...
That was two months ago, appointment is next month
Better be safe than sorry?
Its probably more a case that the gp has a mate he plays golf with who is the dermotology consultant at a local hospital.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.