Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: audi 100 front shocks
squbti

posted on 29/7/09 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
audi 100 front shocks

hi all, i´ve got to change the front shocks on my old audi 100 (1989) & have baught new ones but have no clue how to to do that , i´ve had a look arownd & it looks like a simple thing to do . has anyone done this or know how i should go about doing this ?
thanks for the help.
cheers
Samy

theconrodkid

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
removing the shocks is pretty straight forward,2 bolts through the front hub and a nut where it goes into the engine bay,you may need a spline tool to hold the middle of the shock while you undo nut.
to remove/replace the spring you need a compressor,dont try to bodge it,(it can take your head off if it lets go)get a proper one or take the struts to a garage to get them done....simples really

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

goodall

posted on 29/7/09 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
i have a audi 100, its not quite so simple, sadly

its a one piece strut, so you need to remove the the bottom ball joint, drive shaft stub and the caliper
then to get off at the top remove the 3 10mm nut that hold the strut top to the shell, do not remove the big nut, this holds the spring seat against the spring

now with a lot of jiggling and trying to get of the lower arm remove the strut, then disassemble the strut top assembly with the spring held by spring compressors. there is a special vag tool needed to remove the locking nut on the strut body that holds the damper in it, however i found a stilson works

having done this job with the aid someone the first time id call a fairly intense job, however i can now after working on 3 20 year old audis do this fairly quickly

[Edited on 29/7/09 by goodall]

squbti

posted on 30/7/09 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm , i think i know what you guys mean but i´m not realy sure how to remove the old dampers , they dont appear to be held in place by any nutt or bult it looks like they just slide into the upright ! i´ve taken the part in the engen bay apart & the damper was just sticking up throw that opening , the spring is safe & sownd & it didnt look like i would need to take that apart at all , i tried to pull the damper up & out through the top ( into the engen bay ) but it feels like its held down or in place by something!?
so i´ll have another go at it , would have been nice with an AUDI 100 manual
thanks for the replys
cheers
Samy

goodall

posted on 30/7/09 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
ill take a pic or scan of the exploded diagram for you itll be clear then
squbti

posted on 30/7/09 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
thanks so much , that´ll be great. i tried to find some drawings online but had no luck & i´m sure it would have helped alot , like the saying goes (one picture is worth a thousend words )
thanks again
Samy

goodall

posted on 30/7/09 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
pull this pic of www.vagcat.com its very useful have a audi or vw
part 14 is the cap nut that holds the damper into the strut body

squbti

posted on 1/8/09 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
hi goodall, thaks alot for all your help that realy cleared thing up .
cheers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.