Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Flashing oncoming drivers to warn of speed trap?
asl

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Flashing oncoming drivers to warn of speed trap?

Just out of interest, how many of you flash oncoming drivers to warn them of a speed trap?

I've noticed that people generally don't tend to do it much anymore.

About 3 years ago I was doing my fellow driver duty of flashing on coming drivers when I noticed a jam sandwich parked 'downwind' watching for this very thing. He pulled me over and gave me quite a ticking off!

So, do you do it? Do the ole bill take action against it and if so what is the crime?

PS for the surrey boys be careful on the A320 between guildford and woking as there is an unmarked white van with very sinister looking blacked out rear windows and over half of surreys finest waiting round the corner!

MikeCapon

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Over here it happens all the time. Even little old ladies warn you!! I've got back into the habit too.

When you live in a country where speeding is pretty much the norm it's just so much fun to cruise by the feds at just 1km/hour under the limit.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
No, if someone flashed me coming the other i would just think they are being a t**t. And flashing others coming the other way would probably result in the same reaction.

UncleFista

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
I always flash a couple of times to let people know, I seem to get more dirty looks than owt else though. I reckon people just think I'm mad 'til they get to the speed trap...

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

tegwin

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Depends really...

If the car comming t'other way looks like its being driven enthusiastically...and looks like the sort of car to be driven by someone who might have a clue.... then I will flash and give them the slow down gesture... (not to be confused with any other similar jestures!)

I would hope other people do the same thing in return...

Its so tempting to drive around with some popup signage in the boot..

If you spot a speed trap.. Stop downwind, setup the big sign warning drivers to watch out for the tits in a van.... that way the van will only catch morons

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
there is a notorious road here where they camp a lot. i drove past and flashed the very next oncoming car who was moving clearly too fast. He slammed on the anchors and waved thanks. It was only then i noticed it was one of the local coppers off duty!

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Steve Hignett

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
As above, I just flash the cars that are driving toward the trap over the limit.......

Neil P

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

When you live in a country where speeding is pretty much the norm it's just so much fun to cruise by the feds at just 1km/hour under the limit.

Just how annoyed are they when they see you obeying the speed limit?

JoelP

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
i flashed someone the other day and possibly saved them too! Was a long down hill straight in a 30 zone, with a small sized van at the bottom - you'd have very little chance of seeing them and they had a clear view for miles. Anyway flashed someone as soon as i was out of sight and in my mirror i saw them on the brakes, so maybe it worked.

You get charged with assisting an offender even if they cannot prove who you assisted, or indeed if there was an offense being comitted. I read of a chap who was on foot with a sign, who got points on his license - can you imagine going for a walk and getting points?!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

MikeR

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to recall the police have prosecuted someone for doing this - something to do with aiding and abeting a crime or stopping a policeman performing his duty. Can't quite remember which.

i'm undecided, if i think someone is a couple of mph over the limit i'll probably flash. if someone is clearly speeding (and bear in mind on my route they're usually just on the exit to a small village with twisty roads and difficult junctions) i'll probably let them get caught.

turbodisplay

posted on 29/7/09 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
I flashed for a trap that was in a 30 zone just before it goes to nsl. For all intents and purposes should be nsl, not 30, so clearly a means of effectively trapping people.
Also in a 40 that should be a 50.
If in a genuine 30 zone then i wouldn`t or is someone is going at a dangerous speed as that is irresponsible.
Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
robinj66

posted on 29/7/09 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
There have been several attempts to prosecute this for Perverting the Course of Public Justice. however i am nor aware of any case going the whole way under this (extremely serious) charge.

It is usually dropped to Obstructing a Police Officer in the execution of his Duty, if it is proceeded with at all.

Very difficult to prove and more of a scare tactic than anything else.

turbodisplay

posted on 29/7/09 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
But what if you are stopped, you say "i was warnng of a child that might run into the road?"
I don`t realy flash in my gt4 as it takes time for the pop up lights to rise, and every time they move up and down i cant help thinking "thats one more time the headligh motor has operated in its finte life"

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
roadrunner

posted on 29/7/09 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
But if you flash someone to slow them down, then surely you are stopping a crime being committed and not aiding and abetting.
zilspeed

posted on 29/7/09 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
You'll all hate me.

It's my responsibility to know the speed limit for the road I'm on and stick to it.

The same applies for everyone else.

I got an SP30 once from a well known and well signposted fixed GATSO around here - my fault, nobody else's responsibility but mine.

Much as it might be an unpopular point of view, the same applies to everyone else, so that's why I don't flash my lights. If it's a 30mph limit, there will be signs to tell you that - same for every other speed limit in force.

Miketheconn

posted on 29/7/09 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
One of those vans sits on the A5 in Weston near Telford. Its only 30 for about a1/4 of a mile. I travel to Telford twice a week for work.

I a very nice man in a white van flashed me on my approach past Weston park just as it turns 30. I then flashed quite a few cars as I got through the other side where it changes from National speed limit to a 30 to notify them of the change of speed limit and a posible accident hotspot as I am assuming thats why the police would set up a camera there. Everyone I flashed gave me a jolly wave and appeared to be most appreciative

Canada EH!

posted on 30/7/09 at 12:59 AM Reply With Quote
A police officer in Toronto Canada, stopped a motorist for flashing his lights at a well known radar fishing hole and was sent for a mechanical inspection for faulty lighting.
The news media picked it up and embarrassed the police to no end, haven't heard of another similar incident.
P.S. I have been known in the past to use one of those pesky radar units and still flash my lights.

LBMEFM

posted on 30/7/09 at 06:03 AM Reply With Quote
Surley the police cannot prove you were flashing a warning, you maybe flashed because you knew the guy, Keep on flashing is what I say.
David Jenkins

posted on 30/7/09 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
Up to a £1000 fine, IIRC.

Some old codger was prosecuted a while back - made the papers.

nstrug

posted on 30/7/09 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LBMEFM
Surley the police cannot prove you were flashing a warning, you maybe flashed because you knew the guy, Keep on flashing is what I say.

'Because you knew the guy' is not correct use of headlights though is it? According to the highway code:

110 Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.

Actually, reading that, 'I knew the guy and wanted to let him know I was there' could be a valid reason

I can confirm that flashing oncoming cars for speed traps is the norm in France, particularly as the Gendarmerie have taken to hiding behind bridges in unmarked cars in the past few years.

Nick

hughpinder

posted on 30/7/09 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
I always flash if I believe there is an abnormal situation the person coming the other way needs to know about e.g an accident round the next bend, something on the road, dog loose, speed camera etc as people invariably slow down when flashed.
Regards
Hugh

efiniste

posted on 30/7/09 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
I passed a speedtrap a few years back. It was at the end of a longish straight and they were pulling bikers up left, right and centre.
After I'd passed the trap I flashed a biker coming off the roundabout at some speed at the other end of the straight and gave him the International Sign Language for "slow down".
His response was to flick me the v's and twist the throttle further. I wouldn't mind if I looked like some busybody anti-speed type but I was driving my RX-7 at the time!

I do hope they threw the book at him.

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 30/7/09 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
I flash, and I've been flashed (and saved). I would regard it as a badge of honour if they did me for it.

These vans are nothing but a tax raising excercise. If they were serious about safety they would focus on driver training and put public information clips on driving back on the BBC. They should start with keep left on dual cariageways!

The CLODs constantly force slow traffic into the outside lane stacking traffic up and inviting inside overtaking and multiple shunts.

(Centre Lane Only Drivers)

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

Ivan

posted on 30/7/09 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
I flash selectively - never in built up areas as I believe that you shouldn't be speeding there.

Always flash in the country as they always trap where speeding is relatively safe and likely (revenue driven) and never trap where it is obviously dangerous to speed - too few speedsters to make it worth their while as most drivers are sensible enough to recognise obviously dangerous stretches of road and slow down.

I also never flash vehicles that to my mind are unsafe even below the National Speed limit such as Combi Taxis, LDV's, trucks, buses and old potentially poorly maintained vehicles.

A1

posted on 30/7/09 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
I like tto.. what goes around comes around.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.