Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: not quite a locost but need help pls
w.olly

posted on 30/7/09 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
not quite a locost but need help pls

Hi all, a bit of help with a thing i bought if somebody will pls, i was at first looking at a locost but as i was looking for one on an auction site we most know off i came across this, now i was once into off roading jeeps etc, building and modding them so came the idea of this.
I know its not quite a locost but a self build form of car. i could get best of both worlds with this.

If anyone can help out with a bit of help advice on making this ready for an IVA or if it would even be possible to do so i would be so greatfull.
a few pics for you

I just need to see if its worth while trying and what the things are i need to look out for to get it on the road, well a IVA done.

many thanks for any help advice
wayne

RAYLEE29

posted on 30/7/09 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, is it a one off or from a kit maker?
it does look very well made to me.
sorry cant help but just thought id comment on the obviously quality workmanship
Ray

MakeEverything

posted on 30/7/09 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
I love the exhaust location. Solves the problem of demisters!!!

I can send you the IVA manual if you like? U2U me your email address and ill ping it over.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

whitestu

posted on 30/7/09 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like a lot of sharp edges for IVA to me.

Stu

minitici

posted on 30/7/09 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
...appears to have a Mini engine in the back.....
w.olly

posted on 31/7/09 at 05:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Hi, is it a one off or from a kit maker?

Yes it is a one off, dont know who though, very clever chap, as you say it is a excellent build.

quote:

Looks like a lot of sharp edges for IVA to me.

there are a few on the front end but as yet not touched it, there will be a similar front end as a locost which i will be makling from GRP aswell as the rear side panels, there is also fittings for a proper windscreen as by using the seals used by classis minis.

quote:

...appears to have a Mini engine in the back.....

Yep its a classis A series mini engine and i think a 1 L, if all is well wioth the running as the gear linkage is a pain when putting a mini engine in the back i will be upgradeing to maye be a 1340 race engine or something.

thanks for the help folks.

So there is nothing to untopward for getting a IVA once all the electrics, running gear and normal build is complete.

Do most of you build your locost from scratch ?

PaulBuz

posted on 1/8/09 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
I'll have a strawberry mivi & a 99' when its finished please!

ATB
Paul

w.olly

posted on 1/8/09 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulBuz

Sorry kida but ????

bigpig

posted on 1/8/09 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by w.olly
quote:
Originally posted by PaulBuz

Sorry kida but ????

I think he is pertaining towards its ice cream van nature

Looks like, as also said, lots of outer sharp edges that may need something doing about them. Also cycle wings for each wheel of course

FEZ1025

posted on 3/8/09 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote
Your fuel tank location maybe the difficult one, it can't be in the passenger compartment & cannot be in the engine bay & the filler can't be in either as well. It's a problem we're having with the part builds on the Freestyle.Other than that there is no reason why after studying the manual & asking a few questions why you couldn't IVA it.

Alan...

w.olly

posted on 3/8/09 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FEZ1025
Your fuel tank location maybe the difficult one, it can't be in the passenger compartment & cannot be in the engine bay & the filler can't be in either as well. It's a problem we're having with the part builds on the Freestyle.Other than that there is no reason why after studying the manual & asking a few questions why you couldn't IVA it.

Alan...

MMmmmm tel me mate, been lookign all over it for a tank position and all i can come up with is either a dual one or single on the side just in front of the rear wheel, according to the IVA manule it doenst say about that only the front and rear are no go incase of a collision.
Could tick a cylinder type on the bonnet but then will look a bit daft, seen it done before.

[Edited on 3/8/09 by w.olly]

Also thanks mate for a bit of encouargement and not saying it wont happen, had that to often and with out saying why.

[Edited on 3/8/09 by w.olly]

FEZ1025

posted on 3/8/09 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
It's a little difficult to make out in the photo's but it does look like you have a bulkhead in front of your feet position with space above the steering rack to fit a tank. I have a post open on another forum where we are talking to VOSA on this exact problem.

Alan...

w.olly

posted on 3/8/09 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
From what i have made out in IVA gubbins is that you cant have a fuel container in the cab or adjoining compartment, but if it is sealed of completely from the main area i guess it should ok, i have a thought also of fitting it behind the seat and in front of the engine then making a a bulkhead to seperate it from the main cab.
Not sure on the capacity but it will be about 20"x10"x8", all i will want is a range of 120 miles so about 4 gallon.

Oh sorry yes there is a bulk head infront of where my feet will be but its not fully sealed from the front compartment, also dont think there will be much room once the steering and brake set up is in place.

going to pop out and see what could be done.

whats this other thread fella.

FEZ1025

posted on 3/8/09 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Having just been on a little road trip 600 miles in 3 days around Wales storage is a problem with these buggies. One lad a few years ago modified his & made panniers (for want of a better word) which fit at the side. I'm looking at building some for storage & fitting radiators in the front, but have suggested to others that they could fit tanks at the back of each side. Something along these lines

As long as there was no way that fuel could seep into the passenger compartment I see no reason why you couldn't go down this route. Is the radiator fitted as ours are in the standard Mini place & we have difficulty keeping them cool, especially the lads with the modified engines.

As to the other post, it's on another forum so not sure of the etiquette of posting links off the site, if a mod says it's okay I will.

Alan...

Steve Hignett

posted on 3/8/09 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hi mate, looks good!

What's the chassis made from?

w.olly

posted on 3/8/09 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
Hi mate, looks good!

What's the chassis made from?

Its made from stainless, all of it, been well made, the reason i bought it realy, still was a bit of a risk as got of the auction site and had to do a 380 mile round trip to collect it so wouldnt of been happy if it was a bit of tat when i got there., well worth it when i seen it i think.

Hi Alan, well had a look and i can fit a good size tank behind the seat, all i will have to do it seal it off with a new bulkhead and cut out the floor underneath for safety leaky reasons.

And i like the buggy kida, was looking at them before i seen mine.
If i can for the cooling issue i had an idea of a coupleof air ducts going into the engine bay and a seperate elecy fan aswell as the viscous. or i could leave the back open.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.