Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: No Satellite signal
Blackbird Rush

posted on 1/8/09 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
No Satellite signal

Our sky+box has thrown up a message saying no satellite signal.....

There is also no signal strength in the set up...

We also have a 2nd sky box in the kitchen which has no card and is used just for freeview, this box also has the same message.

Both boxes run from the same quad LNB.

The only thing i can think of is that the LNB is fried.

I switched off our power at the mains to move a wall socket, the first time i switched the power back on the sky was fine, the second time i switched off the power and back on again the message came up on the tv when the skybox was switched back on.

Both the sky boxes were on standby when the power was switched off.

Could this have caused a power spike that fried the LNB?

Sky have been worse than useless and can only get an engineer out next thursday!

Any advice greatly appreciated

Cheers

mookaloid

posted on 1/8/09 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Has the dish been knocked or fallen off?

Are the cables intact?

Sometimes the weather can blot out the signal - are you having a storm there?

just a thought - otherwise it might well be the LNB if both boxes are saying the same thing.

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

blakep82

posted on 1/8/09 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
mine does that now and again, a bit annoying, but leave a few minutes and it'll be fine again. think it can be affected by weather sometimes, or maybe the trees in my garden (though that wouldn't affect yours )

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

miikae

posted on 1/8/09 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Mine has done just that a couple of times recently , i just turned it off for a minute to reset it , back on again and was all well again , back to watching the racing .

The up link for the satellite is in Betsdorf Belgium (or it was a few years ago) so if they have thunder storms no signal can get to the satellite.

Mike

[Edited on 1-8-2009 by miikae]

If it can be done it i will be done .

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 1/8/09 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
If the HDD has gone in the Sky+ box it will show as no signal on tuner 2 only. Look in services -> signal test.

However, in your case, it sounds like one of the common components has failed. As it's a quad LNB, I'd put it down to either the LNB itself or the dish has moved out of alignment.

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
richardh

posted on 1/8/09 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
had the same problem a while back
every time it rained

turned out it was where the wire connects to the dish was rusted

new dish later and jobs a good un

Time for a change!

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 1/8/09 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Had your windows cleaned recently?
they always use the ladder to realign your dish

jlparsons

posted on 1/8/09 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Our rabbit nibbled our sky cable to the shielding, now when it rains the signal strength dips and we get a few minutes of no signal now and then! Must get around to fixing it.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

Blackbird Rush

posted on 2/8/09 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
Dish looks like it hasn't moved, cables look OK still, its still saying the same message since yesterday and its now sunny!

Got a new LNB yesterday so will swap it over, hopefully this will fix it.

The quad LNB has only been up there since March so i think i'll try and sent it back to the place i bought it from.

The original sky single LNB lasted for 5 years until i upgraded to sky+ and survived many power cuts and a lighting strike maybe they dont make them like they used to!

Blackbird Rush

posted on 2/8/09 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Well, got the ladder out gave the dish a light tug to see if it was loose, no, so gave the LNB a tap (for good measure, as you do) and on the way to the garage for tools i thought i'd try and turn on the box in the kitchen and hey presto it now works!

So if it does it again i'll prod it with a stick first from the upstairs window!

miikae

posted on 2/8/09 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
It may well be that the copper centre core wire is not making a good contact , i always put i slight kink in mine so that i know it will be makeing a good contact and put a little silicon grease on the outside .

On the old type LNB's i put a plastic milk container over it to keep the water out after one filled with water the O ring seal had gone.

Mike

If it can be done it i will be done .

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.