Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: would anybody be interested in SVA'ing my locost race car for me??
andrews_45

posted on 11/8/09 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
would anybody be interested in SVA'ing my locost race car for me??

Hi, Not been online for months and months. I have had problems at home and need a change of direction. I will not be able to race my car for a number of years and would like to be able to drive it on the road.

I aint got the time to get it SVA'd, but would like to pay somebody to do it for me over the winter. Would anybody be up for doing it? I aint got a clue what the going rate would be, but its basically a 750mc Locost Race car built to current spec and has sailed through Scruteneering in the past with no problems...

Anybody interested in possibly earning some extra pennies???

Ta Carl

procomp

posted on 11/8/09 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Carl.

By far the cheapest route is to sell the race motor and buy a road car thats all ready passed and ready to go.

If trying to convert the race car it will never be a good road car and would not be a race car either making it a compromise all the way.

Just my 2p's worth. having done these sorts of conversions before in both directions.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andrews_45

posted on 11/8/09 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hey matt, was goin to call you and see if its the type of thing you could do? I don't want to sell it as I'm gonna race it in time, as you know my situation its just gonna be a while b4 that happens. I understand the compromise, but it would mainly be used for trackdays and the OCCASIONAL summer blast round the lanes
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 11/8/09 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Without wanting to be pernickety; no more SVA, it's IVA now. And with few cars knowingly having gone through (I remember one or two people on here saying they'd passed), it could turn out to be a pig of a job. And at £450 a test, it's a darn sight dearer, too. Perhaps one of the passees could enlighten us as to how strict they are compared to SVA, if they've done both?

As Matt said, it'd be a compromise that may not actually be worth it. In my case, I'm building a road car that I might take to the track one day, but I'm looking at it in that perspective.

You might just have to bite your tongue and keep it for use on private roads and the track only, and having done that you'll propbably enjoy your time in it even more!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Dangle_kt

posted on 11/8/09 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Usually I'd encourage you, but with the costs as they are for iva, then add in insurance, road tax and the cost in tome and parts to have the work done to get it road legal you won't have much change out of 1000 maybe 2000.

That is a hell of a lot of track days.

The only positive for getting your car road legal is, it might increase the retail value of it, but not by much.

Fozzie

posted on 11/8/09 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
I built my car for road and race (as per 750mc Locost race regs for 2003/4)......it is a minefield.
When I built it, the full roll cage was not obligatory, I had one, but since, it is mandatory, and mine wont be up to spec.

It still has all the necessary regulation bits built in, ie regulation cam etc.

Since SVA-ing in 2004, I have changed to twin 40's for the road, but still kept the race-reg carb should I change my mind.....

It was an absolute nightmare building it keeping both sets of 'rules' in mind.....

IVA'ing it after it has been built and used as just a race car, not for the faint hearted (more money for IVA friendly bits too), and as Matt (Procomp) has said, it's more cost effective and less of a compromise, to sell, and buy one that is road/track ready.......

All IMHO only.......

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

TimC

posted on 11/8/09 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Yup - I've hardly ever seen a racing kit that would easily pass SVA let alone IVA. You really would be better off selling the racer, buying something similar to my (now sold Striker - Sold for £3550 ) and then buying another racer when you're ready.

Costs are comparable and it will take a lot more time than you first think to prep a racer for SVA.

TC

Avoneer

posted on 11/8/09 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Do Mac1 still do SVA's for people?

They might be able to help - give them a call.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 11/8/09 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
NS Dev has recently set up a business building/restoring cars etc.

I'm sure he'd be a suitable candidate.

HTH,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Canada EH!

posted on 11/8/09 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Wish I had kept my race cars, now I could drive them in Vintage. But wife, kids, and so on, so I sold them.
If you have to put it in a container in the back yard.
Cars I now miss, 66 Corvette 427 roadster, 41 Ford Business Coupe Buick powered, 66 Anglia road race car 1300, Volvo powered frog eye Sprite, 66 Plymouth Valient full Barracuda Formula S spec. Datsun 1200, mini killer Mosport.

andrews_45

posted on 14/8/09 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Sorted thanks chaps, Mac1 gonna take a look and give me a quote. Ta!!
Rob F

posted on 19/8/09 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
I did exactly this earlier on in the year. I just managed to get it through on SVA. It was more work and cost more than I anticipated. All in for all parts, SVA test (inc 1 retest) registration fee, insurance 1st yr tax etc came to just under £1500. I decided to fit a passenger seat which meant installing seat belt mountings plus buy seat etc. Had to make a new dash, plus all the the other fiddly SVA radius stuff internal and external.

Its not too bad on the road. All I've done so far is increase the ride height a bit, but really it could probably do with different coil overs to allow more suspension travel. Its also pretty much as I expected - lots of cornering power and not much straight line speed but if you find the right bit of twisty road its still good fun. Just needs twice the power..

Rob

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.