Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What sort of BEC would match/beat this CEC?
200mph

posted on 15/8/09 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
What sort of BEC would match/beat this CEC?

Not reigniting any debate I hope, but more of a specific query.

I really like the look of this car on PH but am really sold on the idea of a BEC. On the road I'm not too fussed about the difference in drivability as I'm very flexible and tolerant (of 8k rpm @ 70 mph for example).

The question is, what sort of BEC would be needed to beat it round Knochill/similar, where I plan to spend much of my time with my new toy?

Having read many of the other discussions I think 252bhp would more than make up for the faster cornering/braking/gearshifts etc, even on something like an R1 powered seven. Would it then be onto say a 'busa or something with forced induction (I'm liking the idea of turbo blade)?

Thoughts?

Cheers n beers

Mark

If it isn't broke, fix it until it is

imp paul

posted on 15/8/09 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
hmmmmmmmnow let me see i feel 600bhp zx12r turbo should do the job
Jubal

posted on 15/8/09 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Having owned an Indy of that vintage I'd say handling is an issue too. When I had my R1 Indy, sorted Megabusas would drive away easily in a way that Busa Indys couldn't.

So, is it Indy vs Indy in your hypothetical scenario?

200mph

posted on 15/8/09 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
That's a good point - handling has probably come on a fair bit in the last couple of years?

It would be that indy vs any bike engined seven you could get for equivalent money, be it MNR, Indy, Mac1 etc

Jon Ison

posted on 15/8/09 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Honestly on track, R1 powered up would give it a run, check our RGB lap times to see what a well sorted BEC on road tyres can do.

There's a lot of money invested in that engine though, price also looks good, its a tempting one.

mookaloid

posted on 15/8/09 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
Honestly on track, R1 powered up would give it a run, check our RGB lap times to see what a well sorted BEC on road tyres can do.

There's a lot of money invested in that engine though, price also looks good, its a tempting one.

I think that the XE Indy would be faster over a 1/4 mile by up to a second but on a track it would be much closer due to the corners.

Given similar tyres I would think it would be very close.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

afj

posted on 15/8/09 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
are running costs an issue, if my 2003 r1 goes bang then a new engine and box is £1000 what if that engine lets go

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

ReMan

posted on 15/8/09 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
TB Kit £6000!
mark chandler

posted on 15/8/09 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
That for me is the joy of turbo blade, engines are £300 - £500, not even worth stripping one down at that cost, however a blown engine can ruin an expensive track day.

But then I do like a bit of 'low' cost, still if someone else has already spent a fortune like that I would be sorely tempted as reliability should be good.

Richard Quinn

posted on 15/8/09 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
As someone who has used XE's in track cars, I can say that's a cracking spec engine (although I think that the price for the TB's is a little skyward).
The thing to remember is that they can still be a little highly strung even if well built. If you rod it, it would be a bl**dy expensive rebuild!

TPG

posted on 15/8/09 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Also theres the wieght.A car engine will affect handling,But be cheaper (normally) to replace

..Which was nice..

200mph

posted on 15/8/09 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TPG
Also theres the wieght.A car engine will affect handling,But be cheaper (normally) to replace

Not in this case though I'd bet. The rebuild cost would be the main concern, particularly if I got used to that level of power and didn't want to 'settle' for an easy 180bhp after.

Mark's turbo blade idea is really got me thinking. There are a couple of blade powered cars at sub £7k at the moment, which would leave some tinkering money

austin man

posted on 15/8/09 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
a well tuned vauxhall, duratec or zetec just get the weight as far back as possible. Bikes have the edge due to reving and gearchange think about fitting a sequential box. I cant imagine driving more than 40 miles in a BEC due to the scream of the engine

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

disco_biscuit

posted on 19/8/09 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 200mph
Not reigniting any debate I hope, but more of a specific query.

I really like the look of this car on PH but am really sold on the idea of a BEC. On the road I'm not too fussed about the difference in drivability as I'm very flexible and tolerant (of 8k rpm @ 70 mph for example).

The question is, what sort of BEC would be needed to beat it round Knochill/similar, where I plan to spend much of my time with my new toy?

Having read many of the other discussions I think 252bhp would more than make up for the faster cornering/braking/gearshifts etc, even on something like an R1 powered seven. Would it then be onto say a 'busa or something with forced induction (I'm liking the idea of turbo blade)?

Thoughts?

Cheers n beers

Mark

That car has been for sale for months, i was considering it before i bought mine, but the cost if the engine goes tits up scared the s**t out of me

rob2005

posted on 20/8/09 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Red tops are solid engines though, and with this much spent I can't imagine I breaking easy.
I was in your shoes only 2 months ago, the Bhp of a CEC is tempting I looked at a Cosworth powered Indy (270bhp) and it was a monster of a car.

However nothing can replace the screaming revs, clutchless shifting and the look on peoples faces when they find out you've got a bike engine in a car.

It's raw, noisey and a no brained for me.

Fortune favours the brave!!

franky

posted on 20/8/09 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
What about fitting a nissan 200sx engine..... 200bhp out of the box, RWD bombproof sr20de design? Easy/cheap 300+bhp.
200mph

posted on 20/8/09 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
It's not so much a case of engine options (plenty healthy debate on that subject is ongoing), more specific cars that are for sale at the moment. I very much want a BEC but they offer less opportunity for higher power - although I'm looking into something like a Holeshot turbo conversion (longer term plan).

This would get me the best of both worlds, with the BEC shifts etc and the power to keep the smile on my face

Mark

kjouk

posted on 20/8/09 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
From sprinting a BEC I don't think a standard. engine would match that unless it's very heavy. A rough rule might be 180bhp BEC=225 bhp CEC assuming similar weight loss efforts and handling setup.

If you want to get to higher power (BEC or otherwise) there are plenty of choices but none are easy from the cost/reliability/durability basis. When faced with this I took on a holeshot turbo busa but it's too early for me to say if that was a wise thing to do.

I would be asking what the engine service interval is on anything non-standard to weigh against the purchase costs, if you can't justify both costs then don't bother. Don't believe any one who tells you it will last forever, they never do

Kev

paublo999

posted on 20/8/09 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
My ZZR14 powered MNR is about a second or so slower per 60 seconds than a well driven R500 or a well sorted V6 Dax around the sprints and hills in Scotland. The more/longer straights they have the larger the gap, but I can now just about match or even beat them (not often enough though) on the twisty cart tracks and tighter hills

IMO 190 bhp equates to around 240bhp in a car but they will take you down the straight at Knockhill but you will be back on their tail through the twisty bits. As a comparison I can get 90mph through the speed trap at Kames which matches 250bhp CEC's but the 300bhp Dax can get upwards of 96mph but has a sequential box, traction control etc etc. Hell of a car to watch

Why don't you come up to the Forrestburn hillclimb on the 29th of this month and see/sit in a few cars and talk to the guys about costs v performance etc.

I reckon a Holeshot turbo conversion on my ZZR14 would probably take it beyond my level of ability?

You would be made very welcome.

Cheers
Paul.

[Edited on 20/8/09 by paublo999]

My videos http://www.youtube.com/user/ninjabogeyracing

200mph

posted on 20/8/09 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Paul, really appreciate your comments.

I'll drop you a U2U about Forrestburn.

All the best

Mark

[Edited on 20/8/09 by 200mph]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.