Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Should I buy an Audi A6?
ChrisW

posted on 16/8/09 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Should I buy an Audi A6?

Looking at an 08 plate Audi A6 Avant 2.7 turbo diesel. I've got a new project on for the next 18 months or so that's going to see me doing a lot of driving, and also the Mrs' parents are moving to France next month so I'd expect us to be back and forward 3-4 times a year, so it's about time I bit the bullet and bought something a bit more sensible.

Anyone got any thoughts on them? Or has anyone got one and can give their opinion?

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
austin man

posted on 16/8/09 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
I have a VW excellent build quality and comfort I would ask myself do I nee such a big egine#

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

ChrisW

posted on 16/8/09 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
I drove the 2.0 diesel one today and whilst it was ok. it felt like it needed a bit more of a punch. Just 140bhp and over 10s to 60 isn't going to set the world alight and, whilst I've every intention for this to be a sensible, practical car (I've still got the MR2 V6 for the weekends) I'm going to be stuck with it for 3-4 years so I want to make sure it's not going to completely bore me when I drive it.

There's a 2.7 diesel Quattro coming into stock at the local dealer this week which I intend to go and test drive. That's 180-ish BHP, and low 8's to 60, which I reckon is about right for a big estate like that.

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 16/8/09 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
That's 180-ish BHP, and low 8's to 60, which I reckon is about right for a big estate like that.

Ahem - RS6? There's a few 5 year old ones on pistonheads for the same price as a newer TDi...

RK

posted on 17/8/09 at 01:36 AM Reply With Quote
Had a ride in one of those RS6's a few months ago, and seriously thought about trading in my A4 Avant for it.
jeffw

posted on 17/8/09 at 05:33 AM Reply With Quote
I have a 55 Plate C6 A6 3.0Tdi S-Line Avant which is remapped to 295BHP & 420lb/ft. 0-60 in 5.5 secs 40MPG on a run, 33MPG driving into London everyday.

I wouldn't go for the 2.7 as this is front wheel drive and tends to go through front tyres. The 3.0 TDi is Quattro and the engine is much better in the 3.0 form. The more recent cars are 240BHP stock. I have a 6-speed manual but if I did it again I would get the auto as this suits the engine much better.

I bought mine 6 months ago when it was 3 years old with 40K on the clock and paid £15.5K. Since then I have done 12K miles and have only paid out for diesel and insurance.

I don't know what your budget is but in your position I would go for a slightly older 3.0Tdi making sure it was a S-Line with the MMI High on it. I sold my 530BHP B5 RS4 and bought this and the A6 3.0Tdi is actually a much better road car....in fact it is probable the best road car Audi have ever made.

[Edited on 17/8/09 by jeffw]

wescottishmatt

posted on 17/8/09 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
I've recently bought one of the 2.0ltr diesels (140bhp) and its good for doing the miles. Mines a saloon one but its got the worlds biggest boot. I regularly do Aberdeen to Sheffiled and its fine for distance. I had an A4 Avant before that but the A6 has more toys for what seems to be a lot less cash than and A4. Mine's an 07 plate with 26K and it only cost £14k from an Audi dealer (which a new is one £28K+).

I love the Audi even if it is a bit underpowered. (building a MAC#1 for the speed and fun days)

ChrisW

posted on 17/8/09 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comments, guys.

The one I've got my eye on is a Quattro 2.7 Le Mans edition, so hopefully it won't have any FWD-related issues. Waiting to hear, hopefully today, what options is has on it and confirm the price.

As for the RS4 (and RS6), they certainly fill the practical box, and I'd love to own one, but I'd struggle to justify them in the sensible catagory due to fuel consumption and temptation to cane it everywhere.

Chris

jeffw

posted on 17/8/09 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Didn't realise you could get the 2.7 as a Quattro but I would still look for a 3.0Tdi Le Mans as it is a better engine.

There are a lot of toys but you certainly want MMI High. Audi Music Interface and Bluetooth (not the handset in the armrest). Plus the Parking Plus as the sensors at the front and back help a lot as it is a 16' foot car.

[Edited on 17/8/09 by jeffw]

carpmart

posted on 17/8/09 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Dare I suggest something from the BMW stable as an alternative?

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

Colnago_Man

posted on 17/8/09 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
I too have a 58 plate 2.0TDI A6 Avant, fantastic car.
The MMI and SatNav are excellent but the SatNav is DVD based so cannot be updated via the internet. I guess you need to get a newer DVD from an Audi dealer which no doubt costs.

Sadly I didnt get the parking sensors which a pain on such a big car.

My only gripe is the very light steering , its fine at speed but sometimes in town its had very little feel.

ChrisW

posted on 17/8/09 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Do you find the 2.0 is powerful enough? I drove a saloon with that engine (no Avants available) and it seemed to go ok, but that was only on a 5-6 mile test drive on unfamiliar roads. I'd also assume that the Avant is heavier.

Having said that though, being a 58 plate, I guess you've got the newer common rail diesel with 170bhp? The one I was looking at was the older type with 140bhp, hence wondering if the Le Mans was a better bet.

EDIT: Also, can you not download a DVD ISO for the Sat Nav and make your own disc? Or is there something stopping that? One of my good friends has a BMW with DVD sat nav and thats what he does once a year.

Chris

[Edited on 8/17/2009 by ChrisW]

jeffw

posted on 17/8/09 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
EDIT: Also, can you not download a DVD ISO for the Sat Nav and make your own disc? Or is there something stopping that? One of my good friends has a BMW with DVD sat nav and thats what he does once a year.

You could, illegally, download a DVD ISO and burn it just like your good friend does. It is a criminal offence.

Gaz 1977

posted on 17/8/09 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
I have an 52 reg 1.9 avant. I has been a great car, i tested the various engines and drive trains. if you stick to 2wd the 1.9 and 2 litre engines are very good, i would say the 2 litre 2wd is as quick as the 4wd 2.7 with alot better economy.

i regulary get 55 mpg on a run out of the 1.9.

gaz.

Colnago_Man

posted on 17/8/09 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Mine is the 140Ps 2.0TDI and personally I do find it powerfull enough but I guess its more of a personal preference thing. Its certainly no slouch.

Got to say that the economy isnt as high as I'd have hoped , my average is 39.5mpg doing mainly A-Road type driving, but the engine only has 6K on it so it might improve with time, I was getting 45mpg going the same driving in an old shape Mondeo 2.0TDCI.

As for the DVD update, I guess I could download an ISO if I knew where from!

[Edited on 17/8/09 by Colnago_Man]

Dangle_kt

posted on 17/8/09 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Colnago_Man
Mine is the 140Ps 2.0TDI and personally I do find it powerfull enough but I guess its more of a personal preference thing. Its certainly no slouch.

Got to say that the economy isnt as high as I'd have hoped , my average is 39.5mpg doing mainly A-Road type driving, but the engine only has 6K on it so it might improve with time, I was getting 45mpg going the same driving in an old shape Mondeo 2.0TDCI.

As for the DVD update, I guess I could download an ISO if I knew where from!

[Edited on 17/8/09 by Colnago_Man]

www.isohunt.com - dont know what you are searching for though.

ChrisW

posted on 17/8/09 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
You could, illegally, download a DVD ISO and burn it just like your good friend does. It is a criminal offence.

Of course. I would never do such a thing, or suggest anyone else do so!

Anyway, mybe I'll keep looking for a 3.0 then. I do like the idea of the Le Mans with the extra bits and bobs that it comes with. At the end of the day, whilst I want it to be a sensible, reliable car that I can turn up to a meeting in and be taken seriously, I'm loathed to spend the kind of money these cars go for on something that I don't really want. Guess that's where the indecision is coming from!

Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.