Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Throttle pedal ideas
Johneturbo

posted on 17/8/09 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Throttle pedal ideas

Need to pick the brains of you lot

I'm trying to work out how i can get more travel for less movement on my throttle pedal.
as you can see in the pic, it's way forward(only way i can get full throttle) due to the cable being close the the pivot point, no room to lower it due to the chassis bar.

anyone got any ideas how i can get lots of travel for less movement, maybe a pully system? or something on the throttle body end.
cheers
john Rescued attachment pedals.jpg
Rescued attachment pedals.jpg

Johneturbo

posted on 17/8/09 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
. Rescued attachment pedals1.jpg
Rescued attachment pedals1.jpg

r1_pete

posted on 17/8/09 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Shorter lever, or smaller diameter quadrant on the other end.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Steve Hignett

posted on 17/8/09 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Move the pedal box to the left?

Dangle_kt

posted on 17/8/09 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't suggest any sort of pully, what if it jams!

what about a top mounted throttle pedal? Mine is like that - yes it would be a pig to have to take the dash off etc to make it work but you will get the travel you need without any bodges and it will work with the brake and clutch pedals in situ.

nasty-bob

posted on 17/8/09 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Right, this is where I need to draw a picture but I'll have a go with with words....

How about a bracket bolted to the engine side of the bulkhead that protrudes about 2in or so. On the end is a pivot with a lever. Connect a pushrod from the throttle pedal to the lever about an inch from the pivot and then connect the cable to the lever about 2in fron the pivot. This will double the travel of the cable for the same pedal travel, but will of course make the pedal stiffer- theres no free lunch.

That probably made no sense whatsoever, but if it sounds like a goer and you need a picture let me know.

Cheers

Rob

Johneturbo

posted on 17/8/09 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett

I'd have to move the master cylinders fit a new bulkhead and move the brake lines

Smaller Quadrant maybe it's an 05 R1

Johneturbo

posted on 17/8/09 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nasty-bob
Right, this is where I need to draw a picture but I'll have a go with with words....

How about a bracket bolted to the engine side of the bulkhead that protrudes about 2in or so. On the end is a pivot with a lever. Connect a pushrod from the throttle pedal to the lever about an inch from the pivot and then connect the cable to the lever about 2in fron the pivot. This will double the travel of the cable for the same pedal travel, but will of course make the pedal stiffer- theres no free lunch.

That probably made no sense whatsoever, but if it sounds like a goer and you need a picture let me know.

Cheers

Rob

That did make sense, sounds like a better idea than a pully system as it will be rigid.
ETA
and making it stiffer might be handy to,due to it being very sensitive with the light cable/pedal

great ideas so far guys muchly appreciated

[Edited on 17/8/09 by Johneturbo]

gregs

posted on 17/8/09 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
have a look at some of OBPs boxes, they use a 'step-up' bar as described to get sufficient travel.
Steve Hignett

posted on 17/8/09 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
I know mate, but I'd still do it as I think it would be the correct thing to do...

quote:
Originally posted by Johneturbo
quote:

I'd have to move the master cylinders fit a new bulkhead and move the brake lines

Smaller Quadrant maybe it's an 05 R1

bassett

posted on 17/8/09 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
I thought i was the only one who had encountered this problem as it makes it difficult pulling away when you need to move your foots position although mine isnt quite as far ahead as yours. I think your lucky though as you have the horizontal bar rather than the diagonal bulk head bar which reduces movement another half inch or so. Only solution me and the old man have come up with is a new pedal design to get greater leverage moving it further away from the pivot point.

[Edited on 17/8/09 by bassett]

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

Johneturbo

posted on 17/8/09 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I know mate, but I'd still do it as I think it would be the correct thing to do...
quote:

But then i'd compromise how i want the brake pedal to be inline with my right leg, thats what i fitted them as far right as posible.

Johneturbo

posted on 17/8/09 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gregs
have a look at some of OBPs boxes, they use a 'step-up' bar as described to get sufficient travel.

had a look at the OBP stuff, so something like bob was talking about is the way to go me thinks

Johneturbo

posted on 17/8/09 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bassett
I thought i was the only one who had encountered this problem as it makes it difficult pulling away when you need to move your foots position although mine isnt quite as far ahead as yours. I think your lucky though as you have the horizontal bar rather than the diagonal bulk head bar which reduces movement another half inch or so. Only solution me and the old man have come up with is a new pedal design to get greater leverage moving it further away from the pivot point.

[Edited on 17/8/09 by bassett]

I know what you mean with the pulling away, it's more a leg movement rather than the foot. i found it really awkward on the trackday i did. so now looking for a solution.
i think the idea bob described seems do able!

[Edited on 17/8/09 by Johneturbo]

Chippy

posted on 17/8/09 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
It looks to me as though it wouldn't be a major job to take out your pedal box, then the simple answer would be to remake the throttle pivot higher up, and that would only involve you in redrilling the bulkhead to give access for the cable. Shorten the top of the pedal, and lengthen the bottom, but keeping it high enough to clear the obstruction. You know it makes sense, :-) Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Smartripper

posted on 18/8/09 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
Hello,

got the same problem overhere and i just ask MNR what to do about it, they have developed a new pedal with a higher pivot point...

Works a treat.. Daniel

40inches

posted on 21/8/09 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Had the oposite problem with mine, pedal was almost a switch, made a pivot and used 2 cables, you could do the same thing the other way round. Description
Description

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.