Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vibration
PaulYDP

posted on 18/8/09 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Vibration

Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me here.
I have a Tiger B6 running a zx9r engine, with a 7" 3.62 diff.
Ever since I built my car I have had a vibration from the drivetrain. It sounded like it was coming from the diff itself - I didn't know the history of it as I bought the car as a part build, so I picked up another one and fitted it last night. My problem is still there.

Basically if i'm going along at 55 - 60 and lift off the throttle there is a rattle, but if I touch the throttle again it goes away. Also if I reach an up-hill it goes away without touching the throttle - it seems if there is any load at all the rattle goes away. The main problem however is when the car reaches around 90mph (on track) the rattle becomes constant and the car actually vibrates.
The only thing I can think of now since I replaced the diff is the propshaft. I got the prop shortened and balanced when building the car.

As anyone experienced anything similar?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Davey D

posted on 18/8/09 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
mine has started to develop this.

when the drivetrain is under load from acceleration, or engine braking it is silent, but when cruising at any speed over 65ish and im at neutral throttle there is a strange vibration/rattle that sounds like its coming from the Diff. i havent had chance to look at it yet, so im affraid im no help

PaulYDP

posted on 18/8/09 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the reply anyway Davey, if you discover what it is be sure to let me know as your problem sounds exactly like mine! At least i'm not alone.
Hellfire

posted on 18/8/09 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure whether it is BEC related or not but as the bike's have a cush drive in the drivetrain do either of you have a TRT to replicate this cushioning therefore reducing the rattle?

I'd also check your respective adapter flanges...

I suspect the vibration is the prop - as it is floating in the central bearing - any out of balance will be exacerbated and result in the harmonics throwing it down the prop to the nearest sound board - that being the rear bulk head. That's maybe why it sounds like it is coming from the Diff...

Is the diff LSD? Has it been checked/adjusted for reduced slip? Tho' this wouldn't/shouldn't produce vibration me thinks...

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.