Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car auctions
paulf

posted on 19/8/09 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Car auctions

Im on the lookout for a new tintop but have a limited budget.After looking on autotrader, ebay etc I decided to try the auctions last night.
I went to Northampton auctions on the night for dealer trade ins up to
£5000 .It turned out to be a total waste of time as out of 300 odd cars nearly all were rubbish and fetched silly money.Many were dented or badly scratched with bits hanging off or else sounded like they were about to expire at any moment but were fetching similiar prices to what i seen on Ebay or autotrader.
It seemed that the local ethnic inhabitants now deal in rubbish cars rather than run corner shops, as at least 75 percent of people there seemed to be imigrants of one kind or another.
There were a few cheap cars that looked ok but they tended to mostly be larger citroens, peugots etc that people are wary of buying because of there reputation.
The few good cars were going for prices I would expect to pay a dealer for a car with no warranty.
Did I just go on a bad night or is this normal nowadays?
Paul.

tegwin

posted on 19/8/09 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
I guess its just pot luck... a few of my friends have found some pretty impressive barges at such events...

Can you find another £1500 and buy my 260hp Cupra R instead? Practical and quick

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/8/09 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
I’d never entertain this option as I’d want to go for a proper long test drive before buying any car

Leave the auctions to the Arthur Daley’s

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
splitrivet

posted on 19/8/09 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Was it a BCA auction site. ive had a few bargains from our local one before they closed it down, evening auctions used to attract the local ethnic bunch full of rubbish motors but the ones in the day were mostly trade with ex lease cars their websites here http://www.british-car-auctions.co.uk/.

In saying that a car salesman mate of mine Iwas talking to the other night said used prices were through the roof at the moment.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

JoelP

posted on 19/8/09 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
id more expect it to be the auctioneer making up bids because no one is bidding - they are allowed to do this below reserve. I've bought laods of cars at auction and all were dirt cheap. Only two bad uns as i recall, 200sx and 300zx, which you would expect to be battered if in an auction.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

britishtrident

posted on 19/8/09 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Evening auctions are a waste of time prices tend to be silly, best time to buy is a daytime auction on a wet or snowy day about a month after a registration letter change.

You should attend a a few sales before buying as you can then spot cars that look good but have already bounced back.

At auction smaller older but low mileage cars tend to fetch silly money bigger cars tend to be better buys but you have to do your homework on what you are buying as buying a complex car like a BMW can be a gamble.

sonic

posted on 19/8/09 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hello

I have been around cars in one way or another all my life and 6 months ago decided to give the motor trade ago full time.

I used to go to 5 auctions a week and buy nothing as they are all as you said above C--P.

They are and have been for the last 9 months being bringing 1000-1500 pound over trade which is mad!
I have a few contacts who are lucky enough to be well in with some of the big lease companies,they used to then sell then onto trade/me! not anymore,they send them straight to auction and are coining it in,making big money!!!!

A peice of advice i would give you is do your homework well,in the last 3 weeks i have looked a 7 cars in various parts of the country and all where clocked!!!!!!

They where advertised as full service history,fully HPI clear etc etc.

Make sure you do a full HPI check which includes the NMI (National mileage register check) not many do,all these dodgy people out there don't know it exists. you would be suprised what you will find out,statistics say that 1 in 7 cars are dodgy rubbish i have trouble finding cars that are good.

I look at on average 10 -12 cars a week and buy 1 or 2 at the most the rest are dross with bad history.

Also ring the main dealer of the type of car your interested in ie BMW,Audi etc the big boys have national linked computers give them the reg no and see what they can tell you.

Ie there was a BMW 318 ci coupe advertised on Fleebay the add said 2002 02 plate Blue good condition 62000 miles fully HPI clear with report any inspection,contacted the guy sounded good discussed a price which wasnt cheap but Ho hum i will have a look 50 miles away from home.

I contacted a guy i know at BMW checked it out on the reg number through there system,the car was last servied by BMW in 2005 with 137000 miles on the clock and had 2 years earlier been repaired at BMW body shop costing 4 grand.

And i have found 3 BMW coupes in the last 2 weeks with similar mileage issues

Beware!!! i am learning to do my homework and everything i buy and sell is open to full RAC/AA check and i sell the car with a full and complete HPI report with NMI clarification.

Good luck finding something

coozer

posted on 19/8/09 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Salvage auctions is where you get the cheap cars. I bought a 5 year old Rover 214 with 55k on it, stolen/recovered. Locks and a steering column (£25) to fix it.

Drove it round for 6 years put another 60k on it and sold it for £250.

Nuff said.

Most of the cars are smashed to bits but there are still some bargains to be had.
Lock damaged/stolen motors and also cars that have been picked up at the side of roads/motorways. May be broken down but they go for nothing and are well worth buying.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

ritchunt

posted on 19/8/09 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
find another £500 and you can own a nice 2001 s3 in black lol
britishtrident

posted on 20/8/09 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
You only have to do an internet search to see the large numbers of different "mileage correction" or "dashboard repair" dongles on sale for BMW and Mercedes to realise how many of these cars are clocked.
Interestingly BMW stores the vehicle mileage in backup locations outwith the cars ECUs --- one of which is the key fobs. I am told the mileage recorded on these can only be synched upwards not rolled back --- but the info wasn't from an authorotive source.
Devies are available to read the mileage from the key fob but these are still relatively expensive.
Since 2001 it is possible on most makes to access the chassis number stored in the cars EMS via an EOBD code scanner.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.