Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Collecting an untaxed car
paulf

posted on 24/8/09 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Collecting an untaxed car

Ive just bought a car on EBay and need to collect it from the other side of Leicester.It has Mot and I can arrange insurance on it but it is not currently taxed.
Its a while since live bought a car in this situation and don't really want to take any risks with road tax nowadays as im sure knowing my luck I will get caught out.
If i wait until the start of the month and then drive it home and tax it straight away will i be safe ? the other problem is I don't know if I can tax it in the post office or need to use dvla office? i obviously wont be able to do it on line as the log book would still be in the post.
Its a Rover 75 connesier diesel with high mileage but was only £675 so am hoping for the best, have spoken to the seller and he was a bit upset about the price but agreed its the luck of the draw .
Paul

mistergrumpy

posted on 24/8/09 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Waiting till the start of the month will make no odds. If you're driving without tax then you risk being fined or having the car taken off you.
If it has MOT and insurance then just do it online then you are covered and have 7 days that you don't have to display whilst it is in the post.
I wouldn't drive without though with the number of ANPR cameras around today.

Just noticed you said that the log book being in the post will stop you taxing online. I'd give it a try either way, it might work still as there'll be insurance and MOT on it.

[Edited on 24/8/09 by mistergrumpy]

55ant

posted on 24/8/09 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
could ask the guy to deliver it, maybe give him £25 or something, worth a shot?
avagolen

posted on 24/8/09 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
I would TAX it before driving it, as you said with your luck they would get you - and confiscate / crush it. Not worth the risk...
deezee

posted on 24/8/09 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
I don't see why you can't just tax it now? I got my insurance document emailed through, popped down the post office and had my car legal in half a day.
paulf

posted on 24/8/09 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
I cant collect it until next week and its not in my name yet, i did think of asking the seller to tax it but he wont be able to if its not insured by him.
Seems as if i will have to pay and get the log book and keys then find the leicester dvla office and go there to tax it .
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by deezee
I don't see why you can't just tax it now? I got my insurance document emailed through, popped down the post office and had my car legal in half a day.

deezee

posted on 24/8/09 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
I've taxed a car before with a V5 in someone elses name, as long as the MOT is valid and the insurance document matches the reg. Its super duper common.

Can't you just borrow the V5 for an hour and take it to the local post office? If you have a week, you should have plenty of opportunity.

JoelP

posted on 24/8/09 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
In leeds we know a few slack post offices where they arent as stringent with checking the v5 - one place in tockwith let me tax a car with only the green slip covered in tipex (plus mot and ins obviously).

To tax online you need the code off the v5 so no good for you. No possibility of trailering it?

I would try to tax it with the green slip in a few POs, and explain that you just bought it. Someone will do it eventually!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

BenB

posted on 24/8/09 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a motor and didn't realise the garage hadn't taxed it. Drove it home, left it ouside my house, went out the next morning to drive to work- DVLA had towed it away. Cost me £250 IIRC to get it back (and half a day off work).....
rayward

posted on 24/8/09 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
you are allowed to tac a car with the new keepers supplement (green slip)

if you take the log book to the PO, they will take it off you and register the car in your name anyway

hth

Ray

ritchunt

posted on 24/8/09 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
i got told that you can only get done for driving a car on purposly avoiding paying tax? and that if you have just bought a car oviously you will be waitng on insurence docs and logbook etc even though you could use the new keeper bit you are unable to tax it so technicly you are not avoiding paying it you are unable to tax it legally as you have just bought it therefore your not breaking the law??!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.