Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: diesel or bio diesel
omega0684

posted on 27/8/09 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
diesel or bio diesel

whats the difference between the two? is it a case of biodiesel is just greener than regular diesel? is it better for the car etc? do you get more ecomony from it?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 27/8/09 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
bio is made of plants or something (rape seed oil?) so is not using oil out the ground to make it i think

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

edspurrier

posted on 27/8/09 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Biodiesel tends to be a mix of ordinary diesel and plant-based fuel. At the moment it's an environmental evil on a grand scale as it needs hige amounts of food growing land to produce, and it is largely made using plants from bits of the world that could do with some extra food.

There are some based on algae in the pipeline which have great potential

BenB

posted on 27/8/09 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Yup. As said, the thirst for biodiesel is really quite a bad thing. Huge amounts of the rainforest are being deforested for biodiesel production!!! That and cheap steak....
cd.thomson

posted on 27/8/09 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Guys, you have to remember that Alex is probably now a BP representative.

Therefore critisising biodiesel is likely to get you "taken out"

Its not green in the slightest but it is cheap if you can find somewhere who stocks it.

Craig

Rosco

posted on 27/8/09 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
It's more about politics than being green. The advocates claim that the CO2 generated from buring biofuel is offset by the CO2 consumed by the growing plant. The sceptics claim that although this is partially true the additional energy consumed farming, processing, transporting it cancel any benefit. Personally I'm sceptical about the science - there will allways be something growing on the land used for biofuel grops and consuming CO2 unless you concrete over it - even if it's just grass, however, we'll get more efficient at producing it over time and anything that reduces consumption of oil and delays the eventual demise of hydrocarbon-based fuel for cars has to be good.

In terms of the blend, I think bio-diesel is only something like 10%-20% biofuel, the rest being normal diesel.

Rosco

posted on 27/8/09 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Oh, forget to mention - I have no idea what it does for your engine, but didn't top gear have problems with fuel pump seals when they did that 24hr race in a bio-fueled BMW 3 series.
MikeR

posted on 27/8/09 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
ok, i've read up on this a bit.....

bio-diesel or chip shop oil is 'cleaner' in the car. If you run diesel for a number of miles you get lots of crud in your tank. If you then switch to bio / chip shop you have to change you filter after 30 / 40 miles and then again after a few 100. the bio / chip shop cleans the crap out of the tank / fuel lines .... except the crap will block up the injector / get caught by the fuel filter hence the need to change.

Is it 'greener'. Well if you're using waste oil - yes. The oil is just going to be destroyed so seeing as its already been grown, refined, transported etc there is only a small additional impact to filtering / re-refining it for bio-diesel. (this is assuming you would have bought normal diesel anyway so you're actual emissions are irrelevent). Its also about as 'powerful' as normal diesel so your mpg shouldn't change.

The issue is no one will rate a modern TDCI engine for bio fuel. The best you'll get is rated to a mix - usually 10% max as this is what they're already doing in a number of european country fuel stations anyway. The reason they won't rate is officially due to the potential for substandard fuel and the tollerances being so fine on modern injector pumps. Historically old TDI engines run fine on the stuff as long as it hasn't got a lucas injector pump (bosch being the other major manufacture).

So .... onto the question is crop grown bio better or not. There is no question that the land being cultivated that was once forest is not good. But i'd question the issues over the growing, refining, transporting of grain to make diesel. I have a HUGE issue that you never ever seem to get total cost. So yes, the cost of manufacture is high - but what is hte cost of manufacture for oil? Exporation, drilling, platforms at sea needing supplies, pipelines, refining etc?

So ..... what sort of answer where you looking for? The basic summary is they're both evil due to the fact they use the earths resources

omega0684

posted on 27/8/09 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
Guys, you have to remember that Alex is probably now a BP representative.

Therefore critisising biodiesel is likely to get you "taken out"

easy tiger, i still have my fingers crossed

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 27/8/09 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
well when you stop having your fingers cross could you hire me as your environmental consultant. I have no qualifications in the subject area but i'm sure that won't be an issue
big-vee-twin

posted on 27/8/09 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
BIODEISEL

Largest Biodeisel plant in Euorpe is in East Yorkshire using local crops!!

Poor spelling however.

I ran my E class merc on this for over two years never had a problem or noticed any difference

[Edited on 27/8/09 by big-vee-twin]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Ninehigh

posted on 28/8/09 at 02:12 AM Reply With Quote
I ran a 98 Astra, a 96 306 and a 99 mondeo on biodiesel. After 3 or 4 fill ups they'd smoke a bit more and judder when you've got your foot to the floor but a couple of top ups with normal stuff cured it.

I used it in my 05 mondeo too and after a week I couldn't go up slight inclines, carry 4 passengers or go faster than snail's pace cos it kept cutting out. Cue 4 weeks praying it's the biodiesel causing it and not the fuel pump that's screwed.

Excercise caution...

MikeR

posted on 28/8/09 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Which of those engines where common rail and which where normal diesel?

Did you replace the filters after starting to use bio and then after a few hundred miles?

Where did you get your bio from?

Ninehigh

posted on 28/8/09 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
The bio came from either a place in Warrington near the town hall, or one in Liverpool on edge lane (straight in from the m62)

Never did any replacements to either, however after a few weeks on normal diesel (and fuel cleaner) they all worked fine.

I keep being told it's about the fuel pump, something to do with the diesel lubricating the pump mechanism and bio diesel is too thin for it

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.