Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Whats going on with tin top insurance quotes these days!!??
bigbravedave

posted on 27/8/09 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Whats going on with tin top insurance quotes these days!!??

Im 26, have 8 years no claims, drive a golf tdi estate worth a grand. Why am I being quoted over 80 quid more then last year?

Its jumped from 260 tpft to 345. I thought HIC where having a laugh until I did the usual confused/compare/supermarket.coms and they quoted more!

Its garaged, cat1 alarmed, on a limited mileage policy as it is. Im going to try adding a parent as a named driver to see if it goes down.

Any ideas on how to get the quote down, Its 25% up on last year.

graememk

posted on 27/8/09 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
must be your post code area.
Guinness

posted on 27/8/09 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Stick the wife on the policy?*

Is the cover TPFT?

Take a bigger excess, and make sure you haven't selected stuff they charge you more for, like legal cover, courtesy cars etc etc.

Mike

* Obviously if you don't already have a wife, the cost of getting one far outweighs the savings!

alistairolsen

posted on 27/8/09 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
They do seem to be pretty random, Ive had times when FC was cheaper than tpft, others he other way around, Ive had cheaper quotes on cars of a higher insurance group etc

My Build Thread

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/8/09 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
as above, put the missy on and it will drop

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrsgrain

posted on 27/8/09 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Get older.....

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

britishtrident

posted on 27/8/09 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen
They do seem to be pretty random, Ive had times when FC was cheaper than tpft, others he other way around, Ive had cheaper quotes on cars of a higher insurance group etc

The reason is statistically TPFT customers have more total burn out car fires or stolen not recovered claims than nice respectable Fully Comps.

Richard Quinn

posted on 27/8/09 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
My lad has just come back from Canada and is looking for a car and going through the usual "see the advert, check the insurance" rigmarole. He's 19, no NCB as he has already written one car off and I happened to be in the other night when he spotted an old Vauxhall Tigra 1400 for £800 and went on one of the comparison sites and the quotes for TPFT ranged from £1,600 a year to more than £13,000 for the same cover!!! I could understand it if there were some around £1,600 who would take his business but at their price and some at £13,000 who obviously didn't want his business but quoted anyway but he had the full range of prices in the £1k, £2k, £3k etc brackets all the way up to the £13k. What real differences can there be in service to warrant that difference (the £13k option did include "free" breakdown cover though).

[Edited on 27/8/09 by Richard Quinn]

Richard Quinn

posted on 27/8/09 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
* Obviously if you don't already have a wife, the cost of getting one far outweighs the savings!
The cost of getting one isn't that bad. It's maintaining them that costs you!!

britishtrident

posted on 27/8/09 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Try online quotes from LV or the Post Office or Marks & Spencer or More Than -- on their own sites and via Compare the Meerkat.

For anyone with LPG cars LV are particularly good no loading for LPG and no LPG paper work required.

Our risk hasn't changed but our premiums have changed went down to almost 1/3 what we were paying 12 years ago.

These days no matter what you drive (short of a Ferrari) for over 28 year old the premiums seem to be in the 200 to 300 pound range -- I even no a geezer with a new Range Rover Sport who is paying less than 300 pounds.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

cd.thomson

posted on 27/8/09 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
ive only been driving for 5 years but ive never had a cheaper quote for TPFT than FC.

I'm currently sitting on a £500 excess and £600 a year for a £1500 car. Needless to say, I wont be crashing it if I can help it

On a side note. If I were a billionaire, i.e. could prove that I could pay for any and all damages incurred by an accident, is there anyway I could be uninsured? In 5 years I've spent nearly £5k on unnecessary (fortunately) insurance so when I am that rich, it'd be nice to have the pocket money

Craig

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/8/09 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson

On a side note. If I were a billionaire, i.e. could prove that I could pay for any and all damages incurred by an accident, is there anyway I could be uninsured? In 5 years I've spent nearly £5k on unnecessary (fortunately) insurance so when I am that rich, it'd be nice to have the pocket money

When I worked for the busses I was told they didn’t have insurance for them instead the company only had to have an amount set aside to cover any claims they may have. So I suppose the answer is yes if you were super rich then you wouldn’t need to get an insurance policy. When you think about it all your really doing normally is getting access to some else’s money they have in the bank because most people can’t afford to pay damages.

[Edited on 27/8/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alistairolsen

posted on 27/8/09 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:

When I worked for the busses I was told they didn’t have insurance for them instead the company only had to have an amount set aside to cover any claims they may have. So I suppose the answer is yes if you were super rich then you wouldn’t need to get an insurance policy. When you think about it all your really doing normally is getting access to some else’s money they have in the bank because most people can’t afford to pay damages.

[Edited on 27/8/09 by Mr Whippy]

id imagine they had third party cover but carried the vehicle risk themselves. A lot of industry carried compulsory public liability insurance but carries fire risk for instance themselves.

My Build Thread

200mph

posted on 27/8/09 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
Arnold Clark has crashed his car so many times he'd be uninsurable - last I heard he drove a Lexus SC430, for which there was a front and rear bumper permenantly stocked for when the inevitable happened.

I imagine he wouldn't have an insurance policy, but he'd be £50k to insure each year if he did!!

If it isn't broke, fix it until it is

nstrug

posted on 27/8/09 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
ive only been driving for 5 years but ive never had a cheaper quote for TPFT than FC.

I'm currently sitting on a £500 excess and £600 a year for a £1500 car. Needless to say, I wont be crashing it if I can help it

You don't need to be a billionaire, you just post a £15,000 deposit with the Accountant General of the Supreme Court and you can drive without insurance. This is how 19 year old footballers get to drive SLRs.

See section 144(1) of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

Nick

nstrug

posted on 27/8/09 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nstrug
quote:

You don't need to be a billionaire, you just post a £15,000 deposit with the Accountant General of the Supreme Court and you can drive without insurance. This is how 19 year old footballers get to drive SLRs.

Nick

oops, sorry I forgot, this got amended to £500,000 in the RTA 1990.

Nick

clairetoo

posted on 27/8/09 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

Nick

oops, sorry I forgot, this got amended to £500,000 in the RTA 1990.

Nick

So.........how do they get road tax without insurance ???

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.