Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Prop adaptor flanges - Be Warned
phil_far

posted on 28/8/09 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Prop adaptor flanges - Be Warned

All,
With my build now reaching final stages ( abou f..kn time after 8 years) I decided to put in a reverse box. To cut a long story short I removed my 1 piece prop to make space for the new props. After reading a couple of topics on thsi forum related to vibration, adoptors coming loose etcc.. I went on to check my my stuff and this is where I got shocked.
Upon ratating the adoptor flange freely, I noticed that the there was free play along the splined shaft. I also noticed that the outer diameter seemed to rotate eccentric as well so I removed the plate and had it checked on a measuring machine worth over £50K. Here are the results measured taking the spline diameter (engine shaft) as datum:

The outer diameter was off centre by 1.5mm!!!

The prop shaft mounting holes PCD as ok but the PCD was again offset in relation to the splined shaft PCD by 0.3mm

The faces back and front were not paralell and offset by 0.25mm!!!

I wll not mention the name of the company from where i bought the flange as it is beyond my scope but my message is: please do check that this item is manufactured to the highest tolerance possible as the probability is that there are some more out there in the same condition if not worse!

I have now had it machined with new holes (PCD) and everything is sqaure, through and paralell at a cost of 3 times more than what originaly paid. Do not assume that what you buy is of good quality...

Philip

Steve Hignett

posted on 28/8/09 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
I am never one to encourage the naming and shaming of a company unless I think it is absolutely Just - but not everyone has access to £50k measuring machines and I think I'd struggle personally to tell whether a prop adaptor was true or not with trusty steel rule...

No worries if you wish to U2U me in private, that's up to you.

ATB
Steve

rob2005

posted on 28/8/09 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
What effect would this have had if you had fitted it to the car without having it checked and re-machined?
SeaBass

posted on 28/8/09 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
I hope you checked the grade of steel with your metrology department too too? Not much point machining it from a poor grade.

JC

Richard Quinn

posted on 28/8/09 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Do you mean metallurgy or meteorology?
SeaBass

posted on 3/9/09 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
Do you mean metallurgy or meteorology?

ROFL - I mean what I say!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrology

Read it you might learn something!

JC

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.