<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: plasma or lcd? wanted advice please
ruskino80

posted on 5/9/09 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
plasma or lcd? wanted advice please

looking for a 40 or 42 for general use

what did you buy and why?

i think i prefer the gloosy (glass) like screen of the plasma but there are so many faulty ones for sale on the bay that it makes me wonder?also though there are loads of knackered lcd's too.so which one will last to 13 months?

thanks rich

[Edited on 5/9/09 by ruskino80]

contaminated

posted on 5/9/09 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
I went for a 42" Samsung plasma which I'm very happy with.
John P

posted on 5/9/09 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
We went through this about 3-years ago and were advised to go with Plasma if we had young children (we don't) who could press things onto the screen but otherwise go LCD.

Eventually we bought a Samsung LCD which has been excellent. (But we also bought a Samsung HD recorder which was C***).

John.

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 5/9/09 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
below 32" = LCD
Above 32" = Plasma

blakep82

posted on 5/9/09 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
got a 40" sony bravia thing. its good stuff

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

phoenix70

posted on 5/9/09 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Got a Panasonic Viera 42" Plasma. LCD looks really good in the shops, but when you have one in a normal living room they can be very bright.

As said before, for larger screens, it best to go with Plasma, although the size is changnig, as they improve LCD technology.

franky

posted on 5/9/09 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
If you can wait a year then wait, the latest OLED 'organic LEDs' are about 50% better than anything else on the market at the minute. Have you any HD sources to feed the screen with?

Also do you need a screen that big? how far away from the screen do you sit?

Madinventions

posted on 5/9/09 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Samsung 40" LCD - brilliant.

Mojo build diary: http://www.madinventions.co.uk

Solo music project: Syrrenfor http://www.reverbnation.com/syrrenfor

View my band website:
http://www.shadowlight.org.uk

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk/

Phil.J

posted on 5/9/09 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Samsung 40" LCD for me too.
Got Sky + HD and really can hardly tell the difference between HD and non-HD the picture is so good!

rgrs

posted on 5/9/09 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
As above got a 42" philips lcd and again virtually no difference between hd and normal.

Also ask carefuly about the life on the plasma gas before you loose half brightness.

No-one seems to re-gas them these days.

Roger

Ben_Copeland

posted on 5/9/09 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Samsung 46inch LCD. Full HD

Couple years old now and still fine.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

mark chandler

posted on 5/9/09 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
42" panasonic plasma for me, although I just purchased the screen, no tuner as I already had a decent digi box.

Apart from being cheaper by just buying a screen you get a more commercial grade device.

Only thing to watch is the hidden costs, electricity, when I went from CRT years ago to plasma I estimate the electricity bill increased by £25 a month. LCD must be much cheaper to run.

Regards Mark

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 5/9/09 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
you certainly can't go wrong with a Samsung LCD, all my tv's are samsungs and never had a problem!!

paulf

posted on 5/9/09 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
I also have a Panasonic 42" plasma and thought it would use less than my old CRT but when I checked it is 250 watts against 150 watts for the old one, it does make a good extra radiator in the winter .
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
42" panasonic plasma for me, although I just purchased the screen, no tuner as I already had a decent digi box.

Apart from being cheaper by just buying a screen you get a more commercial grade device.

Only thing to watch is the hidden costs, electricity, when I went from CRT years ago to plasma I estimate the electricity bill increased by £25 a month. LCD must be much cheaper to run.

Regards Mark

snippy

posted on 5/9/09 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
If You`re a gamer and have a light gun for shooting games they won`t work on a plasma so you must get an LCD. One point to think about........
Richard Quinn

posted on 5/9/09 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
No reflection etc with an LCD either
daniel mason

posted on 5/9/09 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
u2u me mate regarding tv's. i am electrician and also do home cinema and surround sound systems. plasmas are defo better than lcd in a screen the size you want. contrast is so much better and a wider viewing angle. lcd's brighten colours to un natural levels.where a good plasma shows more true colours! for referance i have a 50" pioneer PDP508XD which although is about 2 years old is stunning. the good pioneers are by far the best on the market. but panasonic make some good full hd tv's at about half the price!
franky

posted on 5/9/09 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
also like the above, i'm a vision engineer, work on live tv broadcasts, mainly HD broadcasts so know a thing or two about TV's and quality, whats needed etc. let me know you're requirements and I can suggest whats best.
norm007

posted on 6/9/09 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Madinventions
Samsung 40" LCD - brilliant.

Got to agree!!!

Something about this, so very wrong.....I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn`t like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

snapper

posted on 6/9/09 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
Although i am only a stills photographer now, like franky i have some film and video experience.
Plasma is the better image by far with the larger screens.

BUT

they have a shorter working life than an LCD, the Panasonic power modules have had some problems and are probably the only part that can be replaced, at a big cost.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Peteff

posted on 6/9/09 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
You need a big room to watch a big LCD. Sitting too close you see every pixel, over 32" you need to be at least 3 metres away. This is all my opinion from my own observations so if your eyes work different to mine please ignore.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

gottabedone

posted on 6/9/09 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a 42" Panasonic Viera and after spending some time setting up the brightness and colour it's great. Bluray is ace but I have it all setup with a Sony surround system which makes for a nice package. You may find that when you upgrate your TV that it makes some of your other kit seem a bit below par.
I also have my PC hooked up to it at the moment - Optical sound to my Sony amp and HD out of the PC into the TV - gaming now takes on a whole new experience

speed8

posted on 6/9/09 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
42" Pannie Viera for me too. Had it for a year or so and no worries. Got John Lewis to pricematch Empire Direct and got the JL 5 year free warranty with it.
gottabedone

posted on 6/9/09 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Ha!!! ^^^^we did the same - price match and they threw in their 5 yr guarantee free!!

Steve

Liam

posted on 7/9/09 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phil.J
Samsung 40" LCD for me too.
Got Sky + HD and really can hardly tell the difference between HD and non-HD the picture is so good!

quote:
Originally posted by rgrs
As above got a 42" philips lcd and again virtually no difference between hd and normal.

Eh? Wouldn't that suggest the picture is a load of carp?? Or your HD source is? HD is supposed to look better than non-HD, you know?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.