Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Do my headers look stupid?
C10CoryM

posted on 5/9/09 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Do my headers look stupid?

http://www3.telus.net/public/corym/header/

Hey guys.
Rare for me to ask other peoples opinions about aesthetic things but I need some input.
Building headers from a V8 kit. I stopped halfway through the 2nd one because I dont know if I like the way they look. I opted to go straight out with them because the angle of the pre-bent tubes. They would have to come out of the heads angled forward to get the collector to hug the body. Also I want to run the longest muffler possible as I don't like the exhaust note of these engines.

So basically my choices are:
Carry on like this (tubes straight out, longer muffler).
Cut tubes shorter at the heads and angle collector along body. This makes the tubes angle forward and requires a curved piece between collector and muffler. Shorter muffler.
Or quit fooling around being lazy, and cut up these headers and use the bends to get the exact profile I want. Still don't know exactly what profile that would be though.

Thanks for the input.
Cory

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 5/9/09 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
imo they stick out too far, and by you asking on here, you're obviously not happy with them. difficult to explain how i think they should be, i'll maybe try and draw it out in a sec

you're also missing 2 cylinders from your V8

edit:
here, like this
Description
Description

you shouldn't need to do the whole lot again, 6 cuts (one on each tube) and reweld tot he flange plate should see you right i think

[Edited on 5/9/09 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Ben_Copeland

posted on 5/9/09 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Looks silly tbh.

Better to do it properly and you'll always be happy with it. Not wishing you'd done it right first time

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

omega0684

posted on 5/9/09 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
got to agree with blake on this one, i think they stick out too far for a seven type car. his diagram illustrates how it should be nicely. very nice talent you have there though if you made them yourself
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
myke pocock

posted on 5/9/09 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Yup, TOOOOO far out. Solution as above. If youve got this far whats an hour or two extra time to get it tickety boo.
Fozzie

posted on 5/9/09 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Too far from the 'body line', and too angular.

Reminds me of a Model T Hotrod

If you look at picture 2 it seems almost straight then to a 90 degree, (and far too tight) bend.

Bring closer to the body line, and think of smooth flowing sexy curves...

IMHO of course.....

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

02GF74

posted on 5/9/09 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
i though they were ok til I saw the last picture with the body work fitted - a little bit too far out.

but why not get some 2 inch plastic pipe and mock them up rather than doing if for real?

JAMSTER

posted on 6/9/09 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
would it work out if you welded the other end of the pipe to the flange
Litemoth

posted on 6/9/09 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
I agree too....looking side on they should all be swept back. Yours drop vertically down (or even point forwards) meaning they take a longer route and have to bend sharply before following the horizontal.
C10CoryM

posted on 11/9/09 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hey guys. Thanks for the comments. I agree they did look stupid sticking out that far. I guess I was looking for an excuse to not fix them. Unusual for me to be such a wuss but I had a cold and was feeling lazy I guess.

Today I shortened one and got it where I was happy enough to weld it up tight (other than 2 pinholes I cant get too.... ack!). It is still "angular" which doesn't bother me too much because: It means its an equal length header, and this is a Canadian car. Meaning it's going to be looked at as a hotrod here, and the supercharger that will stick out the bonnet kind of adds to that. I understand why you guys would prefer them swept back, and I may go that route eventually, but this is the way it's going to be now. If for no other reason than because I don't think I'm skilled enough to get equal length headers that sweep back. For this car, function > form. Once I finish cleaning up the welds inside they should flow nicely. I may use a torch to curve the front of the primarys in closer to the bodywork but that will be done later. Pictures of the finished one here: http://www3.telus.net/public/corym/header/

Cheers,
Cory

C10CoryM

posted on 11/9/09 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
Also wanted to mention that they will be coated/wrapped so that will hide a lot

And yes, I know I am missing 2 holes off my V8... which is why I want my exhaust as quiet as possible. Just want to hear the blower whine and not the buzzy exhaust.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.