Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ..heads in bits! (Fire service application form)
DarrenW

posted on 9/9/09 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
..heads in bits! (Fire service application form)

Ive been applying for loads of jobs. Never have i come across an application form so involved as the one im doing for the Fire Service. On face value its easy, it explains exactly what do do, how and where. However some of the questions im answering for this post are rather involved. Im secretly enjoying it though and if i get through to the next stage expecting a good grilling (which i rather enjoy in interviews - shows the firm cares about who they take on IMHO and wants the best).

Job is non-operational so not sure how it compares to operational roles like fire fighting.

Am i too old to become a fire fighter? (38). I could really fancy that if i could get over fear of ladders (well actually falling off them more than going up). Suspect the money will be lower than i would like though.

[Edited on 9/9/09 by DarrenW]

adithorp

posted on 9/9/09 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
There's no age restriction on becoming a Fireman any more. A mate of mine joined last year and he's in his mid40's.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/9/09 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
A fear of ladders, hmm

So how do you feel about going down a tall ladder in dense smoke with someone unconscious over your back?

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 9/9/09 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
A fear of ladders, hmm

So how do you feel about going down a tall ladder in dense smoke with someone unconscious over your back?

Make sure you are P"(*"Łed first... and you wont notice

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Nash

posted on 9/9/09 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
A fear of ladders, hmm

I know politicians who would pay good money for that and claim it back on expenses

......... Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

DarrenW

posted on 9/9/09 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe i should think about fire fighting. With my experiences to date im sure there would be potential to rise through the ranks. I love being in charge of difficult situations.

I probs only dislike ladders cos the ones ive used are always rickety DIY style that dont inspire confidence when you use them. Hopefully the pro ones are better.
mMmmmmmmm - wonder if i could train myself to climb ladders and like it. Seem to think id need to go about 9m up and do a couple of moves. Its the falling im more frightened of. I dont mind heights when im stable or fastened on as much. There must be fire fighters out there whose worst bit of the job are the ladders.

RK

posted on 9/9/09 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
I have heard it's very physically demanding. I know people here in Canada that played sports all their early lives and couldn't keep up to the selection rigours.
Andy B

posted on 9/9/09 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
I spent 22 years in the Fire Service finishing up as a Junior Officer on a 2 pump, rescue tender station.
I was operational for my entire career and loved every minute of it.
No 2 days were the same and the work was challenging, physical, sometimes distressing but in most cases satisfying.
The only thing that ever screwed the job was politicians and their cutbacks apart from that I wouldnt have changed a thing.
As for the heights - it isnt the height that kills you its the abrupt stop at the bottom so thinking logically once you have passed the 3rd floor the next 20 are pretty much immaterial!!
Go for it
regards
Andy

mistergrumpy

posted on 9/9/09 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
I applied for Greater Manchester Fire Service around 1997-98 and passed all the fitness. It wasn't massively hard and not up there with the beastings I've had in the forces but it was enjoyable. Especially the crawling around small dark tunnels with an air bottle on your back
Unfortunately I think they cut your tongue out upon joining now as I was stood like billy o with ambulance staff at 3 this morning waiting for one of them to acknowledge we were there and just say what was happening other than the obvious smoke coming out of windows

the_fbi

posted on 9/9/09 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
I used to share an office with a retained fireman as Oxfordshire has iirc only 3 full time crews.

Pay is the same as full time but only when you're working/training/etc, but our company was still paying him as a fulltime person, so effectively he was earning for 2 jobs when out on a shout.

Factor in all the training (driving etc) then its a pretty cool job. I think he's still a Station Officer whatever that is. Unfortunately we made him redundant earlier this yet

From all he told me, I'd have no hesitation going for a job there or recommending it as a great career.

oldtimer

posted on 9/9/09 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Don't have any mistakes, miss spelt words or corrections anywhere on the form or you'll probably never get to the next round. Your age will not be a problem. Best of luck.
Thurbs

posted on 9/9/09 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Firefighter

Yes that application form is a real piece of work I spent 5 years trying to get in to the wholetime fire service and never really got anywhere, the frustrating thing was i was a retained firefighter at the time so was good enough to do the job for little money but not full time.
Having said that it was the best job I,ve ever done you see some nasty things but very rewarding and the job satisfaction was like no other job i,ve ever had and i only gave it up due to my full time job taking all my time.
Good luck with form and don't worry about ladders a 10 foot fall can be fatal so no different to hanging off a 30 mtere ladder with a charged hose !!!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.