Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Machining costs
omega0684

posted on 16/9/09 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Machining costs

two questions....

how much should i expect to pay to have the head skimmed on my pinto?

how much should i expect to pay to have a valve seat replaced?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Cousin Cleotis

posted on 16/9/09 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
I pay £22 for skim and £22 for pressure test, if the bore for the valve seat is within spec i shouldnt cost more than £20, its not a big job.

Has the valve seat fallen out?

alistairolsen

posted on 16/9/09 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
anywhere between 25 and 50 for a skim and pressure test.

My Build Thread

omega0684

posted on 16/9/09 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
yes, valve seat has fallen out into the cylinder and then been smashed to pieces by the piston, i know for sure im going to need a new piston, its just the valve seat

first quote: £30 + vat for a new seat and the £25 + vat for a skim.

second quote: the guy said that i should replace all 4 seats and said he could do me a complete unleaded conversion for £140 cash, which includeds 4 stainless exhaust seats + valves and then reseat the inlets as well as the press of new unleaded seats distorts the inlet seats? is this true?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 16/9/09 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
140 all in sounds like a good deal compared with £62 for 1 seat and a skim. If 1 fell out, what's the likelihood of another going the same way?

garyo

posted on 16/9/09 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Is the head particularly special - ported? I'd have thought you could get a healthy unleaded head for £25.

Gary

omega0684

posted on 16/9/09 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
ok so i've just been out to inspect the exhaust valve seats and the valves to see if the head has already had the unleaded conversion.

the valve seat that fell out is magnetic so im assuming its steel, the valve stem is magnetic but the valve head is non-magnetic so im assuming these are just standards valves as the inlet valves are completely stainless, valve stem and head?

am i right?

omega0684

posted on 16/9/09 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garyo
Is the head particularly special - ported? I'd have thought you could get a healthy unleaded head for £25.

Gary

has race inlets at 46mm and heavily ported by vulcan racing (all valve guide in the inlet is removed), valve guides are brass too, HD springs.

mookaloid

posted on 16/9/09 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garyo

Gary

As far I know they never made an unleaded head for the pinto as such. Being an old git I remember when the Ford recommendation was one tank in 4 to be leaded to maintain good valve condition. there was never an option to have an exclusively unleaded pinto.

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Canada EH!

posted on 16/9/09 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
If you can get a valve job and seats for that price take it.
We lost one valve head in a 520 cu in aircraft engine and the price is $70,000 Canadian, about 40,000 Sterling.
The valve head came off, went through the piston, then was punched out of the top of the block by the neighbouring connecting rod.
Forgot to mention we were in the air at the time.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.