Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rover V8 engine numbers - can't find mine
Irony

posted on 17/9/09 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Rover V8 engine numbers - can't find mine

After much searching and much googling I still can't find my Rover V8 engine numbers.

With my part built kit I received not 1 but 2 Rover V8's

Engine 1

17D05781B with a Offenhouser Manifold and a Holley Carb

Engine 2

Autobox with a unknown carb thing (dunno need to research it, looks a big jumble of stuff to me)

S10A44028

Can anyone find these codes?

Both are in unknown condition but have both been 'apparently' been seen running by previous owner. That was two years ago and since then they have been stored in a reasonably dry garage.

Being as I have little experience in engine rebuilding what do you guys recommend I do?? I am willing to research and learn all I can to sort these out. Should I strip them down photographing as I go along and then finding out their condition?? Or should I just wire 'em' up and see what happens (as recommended by my dad who is a seasoned mechanic of many years but loves short cuts wayyy to much)

miikae

posted on 17/9/09 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look Here as i think its there.

Mike

If it can be done it i will be done .

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 17/9/09 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Rover v8's are cheaper to buy than refurbish, run them up.

Expect lots of top end clatter for 5 minutes as the followers pump up so leave at a fast idle, they will sound absolutely knackered!

A good tip is to pluck out the distributor and prime the the engine by spinning the oil pump with an electric drill.

You can see the top of the pump drive as it runs from the bottom of the distributor so get a bit of small tube and flatten the end to so it will locate over the drive.

Drill running in normal direction, you will know when oil is pumping as the drill will start to strain. If this does not happen then you will need to prime the pump, take it apart and pack with vaseline (not grease), however I have had success in the past by extracting the oil pressure switch and forcing in some oil then replacing the switch as this can also prime the pump.

Your dad is correct in this instance.

02GF74

posted on 18/9/09 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony

17D05781B
17D00001B Range Rover Classic 3528 9.35 125 92 Pulsair LT77 ba

S10A44028
this doesn't follow the standard numbering scheme - V8 were made by Rover and sold to other car makers who whould apply their own number system, e.g. Morgan, TVR

closest I could find is:
S46D0000A Morgan +8 4555 9.35:1 220 162 Man 5 Sp Injection

do you see the CR stamped next to the engine number?

The engine number and compression ratio are stamped on the left* side of the block in between the centre two spark plugs , near the dipstick.On earlier models the engine number is stamped on horizontal flat surface at the rear of the left-hand cylinder bank

* from driver's seating position

Irony

posted on 18/9/09 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies. I did find the 17D00001B code but as I didn't find an exact number I thought I would post a query.

Attached is a couple of photos of engine one Rescued attachment DSCF0170
Rescued attachment DSCF0170

Irony

posted on 18/9/09 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Another pic

I am sorry to ask these questions that may seem somewhat simple to the seasoned mechanics out there but I am learning fast!!!!! Rescued attachment DSCF0170
Rescued attachment DSCF0170

Canada EH!

posted on 18/9/09 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to check for engine seize before trying to start them. Remove the spark plugs, squirt some WD40 in the bores.
Wait 24 hours and with a johnson bar and socket on the front pulley attempt to turn them over. If it doesn't move time to take the heads off and have a look.
If the engine turns over, turn it over several times and put the plugs back in.
Place plastic bags over the exhaust and intake and leave till you need them.
Then when ready to start prime the oil system as described above.
Edelbrock and others make a tool which is put in the drill to prime the system, works on most GM V8's and early V6's.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.