Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: K Series in a Westfield
anthony.french@live.com

posted on 19/9/09 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
K Series in a Westfield

Hello All,

So I am planning to put a 1.8 K Series in my westfield. 3 questions if anyone cal help.

1. I have a standard Type 9 gearbox from a Sierra, is it just a bellhousing to get them together. I heard something about long and short input shafts??

2. And Ideas for engine mounts as Westfield don't do K Series stuff.

3. Anyone know of a K Series powered westfield? Any pics?

Thanks very much.

Anthony,

t16turbotone

posted on 19/9/09 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Stevec has a 1.8 turbo k series he is the man to talk to!!!
Guinness

posted on 19/9/09 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be looking at Caterham for inspiration. They've done more K-series cars than anyone.

Mike

omega0684

posted on 19/9/09 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
i agree with john, send stevec a u2u, the mans a legend!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 19/9/09 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Don't bother with the 1.8 if its the standard 118bhp version used in the 45,75 and Freelander the 112bhp 1.6 is much more free revving

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

stevec

posted on 19/9/09 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Don't bother with the 1.8 if its the standard 118bhp version used in the 45,75 and Freelander the 112bhp 1.6 is much more free revving

Agree, normally aspirated 1.6 will be easier to do as well. If the 1.8 donor engine has a Getrag gearbox then the crank sensor may be a problem as it may be fitted to the bellhousing rather than the back of the cylinder block.

Steve.
PS. there are a few pics of my instalation in my photo archive, I made my own mountings.

Steve.

[Edited on 19/9/09 by stevec]

anthony.french@live.com

posted on 20/9/09 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the responses.

Steve C,

I have a few more questions if OK.

1. How easy is the K Series to Type 9 join up? and what exactly do I need to do it, operate the clutch etc?

2. I am planning to use the standard fuel system and ECU. I understand that I need to keep the immobiliser, key etc to do this.Any change you could explain exactly whats needed as I very much confused.

3. How easy is it going to be to wire the K Series in?

4. Can I use any vintage K series ir is there a preferred option? Sounds like the 1.6 is the way to go.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Anthony,
Thanks and regards,

britishtrident

posted on 20/9/09 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
The usual way to mate a k series to a type 9 is Caterham belhousing, the flywheel used is the 1.4 K series and the clutch is a 190mm Ford Xflo/Pinto 1600 release bearing required istr is a Capri 1600

The K series used 3 different MEMS ECUs models with sub-variants depending on the vehicle type application as the years went by the security system became more complex.

Most of the earlier cars had MEMS 1.9.1 I know it is possible to get the security system disabled on this system and ISTR on the MEMS 2.x.x Avon Diagnostics no longer have a web site but try emailing . paul@avon-diagnostics.co.uk

ISTR it is also possible to get exchange ECUs from some reconditioners that have the security gubbins disabled.

The rover 75 with MEMS 3 had the full BMW EWS security system and has far as I know nobody has yet found an easy way of disabling it.

As an alternative Emerald wil sell you that plugs straight into the Rover MEMS socket --- I think only MEMS 1.9.x

Then of course you have the Megasquirt option.

[/I]

Gary 7

posted on 20/9/09 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
I used the v6 type 9 (long input shaft)as the ratios are better. To mate the engine and box up you need a bellhousing loads around new or second hand i used one from qed,ford clutch arm and bearing,clutch you can use ford 1.6 capri plate with the rover cover.

You need a starter motor and mounting spacer, i have a starter spare if interested.

To connect up you need the 5as rover alarm module and a length of the loom with the connectors, ecu, engine loom and key fob remote,also were the engine loom connects to the bulkhead on the rover cut a length of loom out so you can wire it in the car ,then just plug the engine in.

I havent used the 5as or fob, i had the ecu decoded (immobiliser removed) to get the engine to run is only 4 wires.

If you go for the 1.8 you will need a flywheel from a 1.6 to fit the bellhouing. If changing flywheels the crank trigger patterns vary so match up with your rover engine and ecu.

britishtrident

posted on 20/9/09 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Follow this link --- look halfway down page
http://www.talonsportscars.com/metrocatalogue.php

Although they say it will work with MEMS 3 not all cars MEMS 3 use the 5AS security system ---- Rover 75 & MG ZT use a different system.

[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 20/9/09 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
More links
http://www.automotiveelectronics.co.uk/index.php?f=data_rover&a=0

[/I]

ss1turbo

posted on 20/9/09 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
There's a 1.6/Caterham bellhousing/Type 9 setup on ebay at the moment...starting bid of £375

Long live RWD...

anthony.french@live.com

posted on 21/9/09 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks to all for the responses. Tracking the caterham setup on EBAY. Although it doesnt sound like its run in a long whilel
britishtrident

posted on 23/9/09 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
I would strongly advise you create a new username not based on your email address.

[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.