Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: FisherPrice Car License - Towing a trailor
ash_hammond

posted on 22/9/09 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
FisherPrice Car License - Towing a trailor

Hi All

I passed my car practical test after 1997, so that entitles me to a fisherprice license with hardly any entitlements.

The guide lines for towing trailer for people who passed after 1997:

Extract from direct.gov website

"If you passed a car test on or after 1 January 1997 you're limited to vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes maximum authorised mass towing a trailer up to 750kgs, or a vehicle and trailer combination up to 3.5 tonnes MAM providing the MAM of the trailer doesn't exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle. You will need to pass an additional driving test in B+E if you wish to tow a caravan or trailer combination which exceeds these weight limits."

So my cars gross weight is 1675kg,
My Kit is 650Kg
My trailor is 250Kg

Which gives a grand total of 2575kg, which is lower than the 3.5 tonnes allowed with the fisher price license.

So do people agree i'm OK to tow my kit given the weights above.

Or am i totally missing the point.

-- Ash

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

big_wasa

posted on 22/9/09 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Some one said the other day its down to the plated weight of the trailer not the actual weight you get stoped with on any given day.

I understood it was still a max of 750kg ?

dinosaurjuice

posted on 22/9/09 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
it is purely down to the MAM on the plate of the trailer.

edit: you can tow more than 750kgs's MAM but it has to be less than the MAM of the tow car. AND the train weight must be less than 3.5tonne (MAM trailer + MAM car)

[Edited on 22/9/09 by dinosaurjuice]

GregSL75

posted on 22/9/09 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
No problem, provided - the tow car is rated for that weight (GTW on the plate)

The MAM on the trailer plate plus the unladen weight of the towcar is less than the 3500kg. (re-plate the trailer if you have to, or remove the plate if manufactured prior to 1982 as there's no requirement to be plated prior to then.)

2.0 XE on GSXR TBs and Megasquirt

Dangle_kt

posted on 22/9/09 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
if the trailer is braked then you can go over 750kgs, if its not you cant.

You can change the plate on trailer real easy, the plates can be bought blank on ebay for buttons, then just copy it with a stamp set, but change the MAM to whatever you need it to add up to.

ashg

posted on 22/9/09 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
i rung the dvla today with exactly the same question.

they said the total of my car the trailer and the load on the trailer can be no more than 3.5t. but the weight of the trailer and load must be less that the unloaded weight of the car.

my car unloaded is 1600kg the trailer is 450kg and the kit car is 550kg making the trailer and load 1000kg

so the total weight is 2.6t which is 600kg below my towable weight.

the chap also said if i get pulled over the car trailer and load plus passengers and luggage in car will all be weighed and must be under 3.5t.

also if you get pulled they weigh the trailer on its own just to make sure its less than the unloaded car.

i have the conversation with the chap recorded on my mobile. if i get pulled i will be playing it to the copper.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

disco_biscuit

posted on 22/9/09 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt

You can change the plate on trailer real easy, the plates can be bought blank on ebay for buttons, then just copy it with a stamp set, but change the MAM to whatever you need it to add up to.

Disclaimer: Locostbuilders.co.uk does not condone such behaviour

blakep82

posted on 22/9/09 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
as far as i can tell your license alows you to drive nothing much, the direct.gov website is full of clauses to say you can drive just about anything.

in short: anyones guess

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

TimC

posted on 23/9/09 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
My understanding is the same as AshG's.

I think you'll be ok providing your trailer is correctly plated or downgraded which is not an issue if done correctly.

alistairolsen

posted on 23/9/09 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
i rung the dvla today with exactly the same question.

they said the total of my car the trailer and the load on the trailer can be no more than 3.5t. but the weight of the trailer and load must be less that the unloaded weight of the car.

my car unloaded is 1600kg the trailer is 450kg and the kit car is 550kg making the trailer and load 1000kg

so the total weight is 2.6t which is 600kg below my towable weight.

the chap also said if i get pulled over the car trailer and load plus passengers and luggage in car will all be weighed and must be under 3.5t.

also if you get pulled they weigh the trailer on its own just to make sure its less than the unloaded car.

i have the conversation with the chap recorded on my mobile. if i get pulled i will be playing it to the copper.

Whats the manufacturers gross weight on the vehicle?

I needs to be less than 2.5 tonnes in your case (and it probably will be)

My Build Thread

mad4x4

posted on 23/9/09 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
i currently have a car Lic (Circa 1992) and I tow a Landorver on a trailer with a ford ranger pickup 4x4 (3l tdci)

( Trailer is rated to 3.5 tons) Landorver is about 2 Ton. Trailer is about 750kg-1ton.

Tow vehilce is 2.0.tons with tow capacity of 3.5ton... giving train Weight of About 5 Tons depending on loading of ranger.

But as it is a commercial vehical I can also put a ton on the load bay or the ranger as well.

All done on standard license.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

alistairolsen

posted on 23/9/09 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
yes, and we're all very jealous, but after 1997 you got a 3.5 tonne cap with a lot of restrictions imposed.

The rules are simple enough tbh, I really dont get the problems everyone has with understanding them

My Build Thread

quinnj3

posted on 23/9/09 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Basically from what I can make out is that a trailers MAM cannot be greater than 750kgs and the MAM of the tow vehicle must be greater than the trailers MAM. The total of the cars MAM and the Trailers MAM must not be greater than 3.5 tons. So a trailer with a kit car on board will be touching the border line especially pintos

my aim is to build my own locost wether it takes me a week or 10 years to get started, i'm sure i will sometime

mad-butcher

posted on 23/9/09 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Slightly OT I'm on an old licence and on a tacho card. I work nights delivering newpapers and am on tacho hours at the end of my shift (no more than 6 days without a 48hr break) I can then climb into a transit and drive to scotland and back perfectly legaly. afraid it don't make sense to me. can't wait to see how their going to implement tachos in transit sized vehicles in a couple of years.

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dhutch

posted on 3/10/09 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Disclaimer: Locostbuilders.co.uk does not condone such behaviour
That said. In the same situation of having a post 97 ticket and wanting to tow a car, i asked about plating and replating and got intouch with some trailer certification places as well as the dvla about plating a trailer (DIY build). And basically when it comes down to it as long as you can go some way to prove the numbers you have stamped arnt totally stupid (like the specs for the axle/wheel loads if your aiming for a the max mam) you can plate it what you like.

Certainly, ive not plated mine at 1200kg, which is factionally over what it weight with the car in it. Which i then tow behind a 306.

Daniel

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.