Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 919 Fireblade Issues
rossymond

posted on 26/9/09 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
919 Fireblade Issues

Hi all, my blade engine ran ok yesterday after taking around 3 hours to get it going.

Now this morning it wont fire up properly. cleaned all the plugs and got it running on 3 cylinders, but not on 4. now it wont start at all, plugs are fouled again.

It seems to foul the plugs up very quickly.

the previous owner dyno jetted it not so long back.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Also, can anyone point me in the direction of a diagram from the ht leads/coils as theres no markings on them, so im not 100% sure if i have the leads in the right places.

many thanks in advance.

[Edited on 26/9/09 by rossymond]

Steve Hignett

posted on 26/9/09 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
You could have some poo in the float bowls which is interfering with the float bowl needles sitting correctly, which in turn would be flooding the plugs. If the Blade plugs are flooded, it may be time to get some new ones, but only when you've sorted out the flooding issue (if it is that!)...

Try knocking the float bowls gently on start-up with a ring spanner to try and dislodge the poo...

Here's a wiring diagram for you to have a gander over also...

[img][/img]

rgrs

posted on 26/9/09 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Also check if it runs ok without the airbox(if your using one) i had problems with mine even with a genuine filter. Having moved to a saussage filter it now runs ok.

Andy @ AB performance is the guru on these engines.

It should be running 132 mains and on the second clip on the needles.

definately check the float bowls mine were full of crap.

hth Roger

rossymond

posted on 26/9/09 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, i dont know much about carb'd engines so wheres the float bowls?!

also Roger you said this "It should be running 132 mains and on the second clip on the needles. " What are you refering to?

It's running with no airbox at the moment, i did try and call Andy, but got no answer. he must have been busy.

Please excuse my lack of knowledge, i'm handy with a spanner but carbs are new to me.

[Edited on 26/9/09 by rossymond]

Steve Hignett

posted on 26/9/09 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
This is not a great photo, but it's the only one I could find in the time I've got!

The shiny bits sticking up are the trumpets/bellmouths.

The Gray/black plastic things are the Slides and these can be moved yourself etc.

The small two stage needle looking things down the trumpets under the slides are the Main Needles.

Underneath the carbs as you see them in this photo are the Float Bowls. You can see one Screw holding the top of each of them down at the very bottom of the carbs in this photo. The float bowls are exactly what the say they are - the Bowls at the bottom of the carbs that holds a well of fuel waiting to be squirted into the cylinders...

As such, they often fill with crap/debris and this lodges between the float bowl needle rubber sealing cone. (these look like little rockets).

All of my descriptions don't even make sense to me, so don't worry about not understanding what I describe.

Remove your carbs, turn them upside down (Old Towels at the ready for excess fuel) and have a look in the float bowls. DO NOT strip the screw heads (it's easy to do), and it will seem a lot clearer to you.

You have a U2U also.

Andy B

posted on 26/9/09 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
sorry I missed your call I have been running around sorting out the new car project.
Sounds like the float bowl needles are not seating as Steve suggested, you can prove this by turning on the ignition and looking to see if fuel is leaking out of the main jets into the venturi throats.
What fuel pump are you using? as many aftermarket pumps are too high a pressure and physically blow the needles off their seats.
If you are still having problems I will be in the unit all day Sunday from 10am
01449 736633
regards
Andy

rossymond

posted on 26/9/09 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
many thanks guys.

have removed said covers and all the float chambers are clean. no crud in there at all.

the large "needle" looking thing in the centre which has a slot cut into it says "128" on all 4.

rossymond

posted on 26/9/09 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Right, heres a few pictures i took. showing the float bowls and then i noticed the state of the inlet valves.

it looks like one valve, in pistons 3 and 4 is coated in copper slip! obviously thats not the case, but its how it appears.

picture of floats :

Pictures of odd marks on valves

Andy B

posted on 26/9/09 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
thats not good at all, its rust caused by water or condensation getting into the inlets. Really need to strip head down and reseat the valves
regards
Andy

rossymond

posted on 26/9/09 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
That's awesome

could you send me a pm please Andy on a rough estimation of cost to do said work, and to also diagnose my running issues, many thanks.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.