Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: planning my first kit
superfly

posted on 27/9/09 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
planning my first kit

Hi all i am in the process of of buying my first kit car.I have decided to use the zx12r engine as the powerplant just need to choose the kit.
I am on a reasonably tight budget and am looking at a mac#1 or a mk.
I am used to performance cars having done nearly 100 trackdays over the last 6 years!! and am now looking for something with a power to weight ratio of @400hp per ton,hence the kit cars.
Can anyone give me the pros and cons of each kit and a rough idea of there spec v final price cheers!

franky

posted on 27/9/09 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
I'm doing a zx12r engined fury, will cost about 7k all in done to a decent spec.

Went for the fury as it seems to have cleaned up in all the events they're raced in. Proven race winner, easy to work on, good factory support plus they look great.

Dangle_kt

posted on 27/9/09 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
MEV make the ATOMIC - single seater, but only weighs in at 335kgs, so goes some.

Not heard how they go, but maybe worth a looksee due to it helping towards the 400bhp without having to do engine mods etc.

FFTS

posted on 27/9/09 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Try here. Cheap and amazing bhp per ton.

LINKY

[Edited on 27/9/09 by FFTS]

superfly

posted on 27/9/09 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the serious replys so far,i am only looking for the 7 style kits,the bhp per ton is a starting figure for me as my previous track car was a mk1 golf with a 20vt engine which was pushing out 276bhp.
a very good friend of mine is an engine builder for a bsb team and can get a very reliable 185hp out of the zx12r .
as for the kiddy car on ebay i dont think i could handle all the battery charging but thanks for looking!

[Edited on 27/9/09 by superfly]

200mph

posted on 27/9/09 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
I think events over the last couple of months have actually comforted a lot of MK and mac#1 owners, but for the very worst of reasons - both types have been involved in very serious collisions and have stood up very well.

Both kits/cars have a fantastic reputation - most people recommend blagging a ride or two in each and see if either of them jumps out at you (not literally!).

400bhp/ton is a good target and should be achievable with a zx12 motor imo. 180bhp needed in a 450kg car (if you want to measure at crank that is).

Best of luck with the build whatever you decide!

Mark

If it isn't broke, fix it until it is

austin man

posted on 27/9/09 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
lokk at hellfires site they have used the ZX12 in an Indy pushing 174bhp

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

austin man

posted on 27/9/09 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Witnessed a 100mph plus accident yesterday at Oulton Park Chris Marise went airborne and ended up barrel rolling his MK, the chasi although twisted stood up well to the impact with the cockpit area intact. Testament to the rigidity, strength and design

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

dinosaurjuice

posted on 27/9/09 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Mev Atomic with a standard R1 engine has a genuine 450bhp per tonne. aswell as 25% (per wheel) weight distribution with an 80kg driver.

orton1966

posted on 28/9/09 at 05:47 AM Reply With Quote
MK Midi

Although not your traditional 7 style kit it is still 7 inspired, strong, light, very well engineered and designed to use the 12r engine
MK9R

posted on 28/9/09 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Look at a striker or Fury if you want a serous track weapon, they are race proven.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Gergely

posted on 28/9/09 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote