Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 1.7 puma zetec se ?????
marshall

posted on 1/10/09 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
1.7 puma zetec se ?????

hi i have a puma and the tappets need changing. a garage will charge £300-£400
to change them. I would like to do this myself is this a easy job to do. I have tryed engine flush and put the right oil and tryed i have tryed hydrolic treatment but still not gone.

SeaBass

posted on 1/10/09 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure you can't take them out strip them down to remove gunge and then re-install.

The old Audi hydraulics were prone to this.

http://www.nuvision.ndo.co.uk/tappets.htm

[Edited on 1/10/09 by SeaBass]

jonesier1

posted on 1/10/09 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
no diffrent to any zetec type engine..time the engine,cam belt off and remove and install cams.timing engine will require a pin in the rear of the block by the drive shaft and a bar in the rear of the cams,bottom pulley is free floating and relies on the bolt holding it all tight and inplace,undo the cam pulley bolts then r & i cams etc.the vct unit should be in the at rest position when its going back together.otherwise it will start the first time then just spin over like its got no compression the secound time,but should'nt do any damage.

im in my own little world...its ok though they know me there

ncoll

posted on 2/10/09 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
zetec se/sigma engine has solid lifters. Early ones with top hat shim (similiar to blacktop) later ones have solid cam followers with the size etched inside(similiar to duratec).
Take the cam cover off and check for cam wear etc. Replace parts as necessary.

ncoll

marshall

posted on 2/10/09 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
is there anywere online i can find a pictures showing stage by stage. or a book for this so i can follow. and were to buy the tappets?
bigfoot4616

posted on 3/10/09 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
i downloaded the ford tis disc. not sure where i found it but shouldn't be to hard to find.

you shouldn't need to replace the tappets, just set the clearances with new shims.
never done it so don't really know how hard a job it is. the girlfriends tappets are nice and quiet so i'll leave it even though they are due a check/adjust

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.