Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: misfire and smoking
craig_007

posted on 4/10/09 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
misfire and smoking

Hi All,

My car has sat for 3 weeks without been started,Anyway I went too fire it up today and seems to have a slight misfire and doesn't want to idle on it's own for very long,The misfire is very noticable when it's being revved plus when it is revved it's very very smokey.When I last had it out it was driving spot on.The last lot of fuel that went in did have castrol R mixed in with it,Could this be the problem,I.E all the oil has seperated from the fuel and has sank to the bottom of tank and is getting drawn through with not enough fuel ??

I'm struggling to think of anything else !!

Cheers Craig

[Edited on 4/10/09 by craig_007]

rossymond

posted on 4/10/09 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
I would imagine the oil in the filter wouldn't do much good for it, probablyclogging it up?

Also if its injected the injectors wont like the oil either. bedt to drain, clean and flush the system.

craig_007

posted on 4/10/09 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I was thinking the same,The car is on bike carbs and is a fairly basic set up,I got caught at a mates garage with no fuel and that was all he had for his stock car so was basically a last resort but as I said the car drove 50 miles home with that fuel with no problem at all.
MakeEverything

posted on 4/10/09 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
I cant believe you actually put contaminated fuel in it!

Could be a number of things, but if its misfiring, then maybe one of the injectors is now U/S.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

britishtrident

posted on 5/10/09 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
I know this is very basic fault finding and I am sure you will have already done it but have you checked for a fouled spark plug ?

[Edited on 5/10/09 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

craig_007

posted on 5/10/09 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah I checked the plugs,Firstly I removed the plugs cleaned them up and applied a little heat to them,I stuck them back in fired the car up the problem was still there,I then pulled each HT lead off 1 at a time and each lead effected the idle causing the car to die.
MikeRJ

posted on 5/10/09 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Castor oil in fuel does tend to gum up carb jets if left standing. Smells lovely though.

[Edited on 5/10/09 by MikeRJ]

deano 777

posted on 5/10/09 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, if i were you i would change the fuel filter, drain the fuel tank or suck it out, drain the fuel from the carbs remove and clean the jets. then fill the tank with clean fuel and add some petrol magic and go for a drive. good luck.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
craig_007

posted on 5/10/09 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Problem now fixed,Thanks for your input guys.

Your right though,Castrol R does smell good when being burnt.

Problem was with the distributer,The 11mm bolt fixing it too the head had worked loose,The distributer then moved on the slot knocking the ignition timing out,Car is timed up again and is going spot on.

Thanks Craig

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.